Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 PM

687 posts, read 2,352,537 times

Advertisements

City council this evening by a vote of 6 to 3 passed a measure to create a Stadium District downtown to add an assessed value tax of 6.5 cents per square foot to provide funding for a $60 million dollar downtown ballpark. $30 million of that amount has already been ponied up by private donors.

For those of you not familiar with Tulsa history, our ballparks have typically been at the fairgrounds, away from the CBD. Late last year, Jenks, a Tulsa suburb, began wooing the Tulsa Drillers (Texas League Colorado Rockies affiliate) to the possibility of them building a stadium near the Jenks Riverwalk.

You can read more about the proposed new location of the ballpark at the link below:

Save Tulsa Baseball
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 05:51 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,948,345 times
That's good to hear. It would have been a shame to lose the Drillers to Jenks.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
Default Curious about "Drillers Stadiums"

Hello,
Am considering relocating to Tulsa, eventually.
Since Tulsa doesn't have any pro sports teams that I know off, I'm interested in Minor League Baseball.
While driving around the city, I saw the Drillers Stadium, then heard later that they were moving to a newer one. Upon doing a small amount of research, I saw stats that showed the current Drillers Stadium to hold nearly 11,000. Is this correct?
And the new stadium to hold about 6,500. Is this also correct?
If this information is true, does anyone know why they are building a new stadium with fewer seats?
Is it like some cities I've seen where the local governments use this as their reasons to raise ticket prices?
And did Tulsa residents have any real say in this stadium move...or were they simply told they had a say, yet regardless of that 'say', the government entities did what they wanted to anyway?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 PM

20 posts, read 71,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsui View Post
Hello,
Am considering relocating to Tulsa, eventually.
Since Tulsa doesn't have any pro sports teams that I know off, I'm interested in Minor League Baseball.
While driving around the city, I saw the Drillers Stadium, then heard later that they were moving to a newer one. Upon doing a small amount of research, I saw stats that showed the current Drillers Stadium to hold nearly 11,000. Is this correct?
And the new stadium to hold about 6,500. Is this also correct?
If this information is true, does anyone know why they are building a new stadium with fewer seats?
Is it like some cities I've seen where the local governments use this as their reasons to raise ticket prices?
And did Tulsa residents have any real say in this stadium move...or were they simply told they had a say, yet regardless of that 'say', the government entities did what they wanted to anyway?
Your numbers on seating capacity are correct. Currently Tulsa has the largest AA baseball stadium certainly in the Texas league and I may have heard in the country, but not entirely sure. Don't get me wrong the citizens of Tulsa really back this team, baseball has been played at the minor league level in Tulsa for over 100 years, but 11,000 seats for a AA minor league team is alot. The only nights that the stadium sees that many fans is free ticket nights or fireworks nights. On some nights just a couple thousand, it just depends. The average attendance is about that of the seating capacity for the new stadium so it really just makes sense to make it smaller. Not only will it appear more full even on slow nights, but will help make Drillers tickets a hot item on the good nights.

As for the move there are differing opinions. Many people see no problem with the current stadium, but having gone to other minor league parks Tulsa is way behind the curve. I personally think the current stadium looks like a giant erector set. The concourse is far to small, the amenities too few, and I think by having it on the fairgrounds the potential to create urban walkabilty in the area has disapated. Most people you talk to however support the move downtown. This is what most cities are doing and this stadium is really the last big piece needed to get things going again downtown. It was either going downtown or to the suburb of Jenks and the citizens of Tulsa were very quick to get the thing downtown. I think the move will be great and the area they picked for the ballpark could not have been better. It is going to be another gem to the city of Tulsa and to the downtown area and I am anxious to see the developments it helps spur.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,616,481 times
I sure hope that they still hold Bedlam at the old stadium. It's a tough enough ticket already.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 PM

20 posts, read 71,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I sure hope that they still hold Bedlam at the old stadium. It's a tough enough ticket already.
That is the one event that I have been wondering about since they announced the new ballpark and its seating arrangements. That game easily packs in more than 11,000. I am assuming however that they will tear down the old stadium, but I guess we will see.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM

258 posts, read 1,015,477 times
The old stadium was a bit large for the average attendance. Thats not the reason they are moving though... Building the new one smaller will help the place feel more alive and make for a better ballgame experience. The energy is better when a place is close to full, versus half empty. Plus this stadium will be very nice structural/quality/amenities wise, and will have one great view. And now you will be able to walk to restaurants and such right after the game which will be nice.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:40 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,948,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
The old stadium was a bit large for the average attendance. Thats not the reason they are moving though... Building the new one smaller will help the place feel more alive and make for a better ballgame experience. The energy is better when a place is close to full, versus half empty. Plus this stadium will be very nice structural/quality/amenities wise, and will have one great view. And now you will be able to walk to restaurants and such right after the game which will be nice.
I agree with every observation you made. Since it hardly every came close to filling up, this will make it a more pleasant and vibrant experience, plus it will be a HUGE step in the continued revitalization of DT. Walk out of the stadium after the game and have dinner or go to a local club and take in some jazz. Or, do it before the game. It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: