Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 12:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,040,957 times

Advertisements

Hi all- Yes it's me the Wi transplant, approaching 4 months here in "Green Country" Starting to settle in more here, doing my biking, trying to find a Krav- maga school, working of course. Here is my take on Tulsa area sop far.;

Friendly folks, really, you Tulsans should be proud of that I have yet to meet an "unfreindly" in person. I know they exist, esp the ones that slashed my tires on my car, but then no place is perfect, but ofr the most part folks seem pretty good here.

Weather has been in a word: AWESOME!! I love the sun and warm temps, knowing I can bike almost every day. The nights get a bit humid as I'm in a second floor apt, so DO have to use my A/C at night.

Recreation-Plenty to do here, anyone who says Tulsa is boring, isnlt trying very hard, plenty of fine places to eat, listen to music, watch sports, NEVER bored here.

Traffic/Roads- OK here is the one negative I find. My car ins doubled, traffic here esp at 5PM is a challenge, with unpredicatable drivers, LONG traffic lights, heavy traffic no matter where and when I'm out. I guess alongthose lines no matter when i go shopping too, the stores are always packed.

Overall tho, I recommend Tulsa to anyone, it really is an underrated city, while not perfect, a lot better than most folks realize.
Of course, DO follow the example of GP, and other fine Oklahomans here and tell out of staters- nothing to see here, too hot, too this, too that, that they wouldn;t like it here. i too want to keep "Green Country" a pleasant well-kept secret OK rocks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 01:59 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,957,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hi all- Yes it's me the Wi transplant, approaching 4 months here in "Green Country" Starting to settle in more here, doing my biking, trying to find a Krav- maga school, working of course. Here is my take on Tulsa area sop far.;

Friendly folks, really, you Tulsans should be proud of that I have yet to meet an "unfreindly" in person. I know they exist, esp the ones that slashed my tires on my car, but then no place is perfect, but ofr the most part folks seem pretty good here.

Weather has been in a word: AWESOME!! I love the sun and warm temps, knowing I can bike almost every day. The nights get a bit humid as I'm in a second floor apt, so DO have to use my A/C at night.

Recreation-Plenty to do here, anyone who says Tulsa is boring, isnlt trying very hard, plenty of fine places to eat, listen to music, watch sports, NEVER bored here.

Traffic/Roads- OK here is the one negative I find. My car ins doubled, traffic here esp at 5PM is a challenge, with unpredicatable drivers, LONG traffic lights, heavy traffic no matter where and when I'm out. I guess alongthose lines no matter when i go shopping too, the stores are always packed.

Overall tho, I recommend Tulsa to anyone, it really is an underrated city, while not perfect, a lot better than most folks realize.
Of course, DO follow the example of GP, and other fine Oklahomans here and tell out of staters- nothing to see here, too hot, too this, too that, that they wouldn;t like it here. i too want to keep "Green Country" a pleasant well-kept secret OK rocks!!!
Great post LeaveWI. I'm glad that you like it there. Tulsa is a great city; a gem nestled in the rolling hills of NE Oklahoma.

You should take a road trip to the SE part of the state and visit the Ouachita Mountains sometime. I think you'll like.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 20,629 times
Hey "transplant",

Here's a little trick that sometimes works for me. It is said that you can get anywhere in Tulsa within 15/20 minutes. That is true. The key to getting around in traffice is to leave five minutes earlier that the rest of them. So, say you normally leave at 7:40 a.m. to get to work. Instead leave at 7:35. I find that just five minutes makes all the difference on the highways. They are less congested.

Also, I changed my hours to 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., instead of 8 - 4:30. Traffice then is much better (going the opposite direction of downtown that is). I find that traffice going outbound on the BA is much lighter in the mornings for me (I can see bumper to bumper the other direction towards downtown - poor guys). Highway 169 is the same way and also hooking onto the creek turnpike to the Yale exit is even less crowded. Then when I go back the other way towards home (city streets or highway) is not as bad either. It is bumper to bumper going the other direction.

So figuring out the traffic flow at certain times of the day and deciding the direction you want to take will help out big time.

Hope this helps.

Hugs
Vel

Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 PM

702 posts, read 2,520,971 times
I've always said Tulsa has no traffic, if you think it does go live in Dallas or Houston for a while and then come back here and say we have traffic!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 PM

7 posts, read 20,629 times
briansgi,

Oh don't give me a headache! My parents went through Dallas with their RV a few years back in the middle of the night for that very reason. (((rolling eyes))) It's all relative I guess.

Vel

Old 07-20-2008, 04:29 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,957,009 times
Indeed. The traffic here in DFW is horrendous. Tulsa traffic is tame by comparison. But, it's all relative I suppose; whatever one is accustomed to.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:47 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,004,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
.......I have yet to meet an "unfreindly" in person.
Lets have lunch some day, and I can introduce you to your first one.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,477,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Lets have lunch some day, and I can introduce you to your first one.
I like your sense of humor.

LeaveWi, I'm glad you did a report after living there a few months. Would you do me a favor and post again during the wintertime? I'm not thrilled about the ice storms, but it seems Tulsa has a MUCH milder winter then we have in the north.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:33 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,040,957 times
sure Can Jammie! Ice storms aside, I'm figuring the winters here to be very mild by comparison. Imagine biking on x-Mas Day I'm getting a good-natured razzing from my Wi friends, saying how awesome the 70-80 degree days are there, while we swelter. I'm saying just wait till your scraping ice off your windshields in late Oct, and I';m in shorts going to TU football games
BTW Jammie, been to So. Dakota (sioux falls, area) and loved it- Folks were pretty nice & down to earth. I bet it is also a good place to live, but the winters/wind would be hard for me, as I've seem to have gotten wimpier towards cold as I've gotten older.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,477,343 times
Leave, I'm glad you liked it here. I live just an hour west of Sx. Falls and we go over there on occasion. We're heading that way in a couple of weeks to see "Chicago" in concert. I can't wait.

I understand exactly what you're saying about the weather. I've lived here my entire life and I just can't handle winter much longer. They are so long and so cold and I like warmth. We like OK and may end up living there some day. Maybe a bit further south just into Tx??? I've followed Tulsa's weather for three winters and it's much better then here. I'm not thrilled with the ice storms, but it's hard to throw stones when you live in my climate. It's appearing that the worst weather you will get is comparable to our mid Nov. weather. Just curious how you'll see the winter in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa