Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times

Advertisements

I am in Florida currently. My family is from Tulsa originally (my parents), and I lived there 9 months and went to college one year, but it was a long time ago. I am thinking of moving back there because job oppurtunities in Orlando are very monodimensional and the cost of living is ridiculous- I see it as a town where people largely come to chase dreams they will never achieve (economic stability- lots of dirt poor people living off bad credit here), or to die ("God's Waiting Room"). People here in Florida are also rude SOB's for the most part- scum of the Earth. Horrible rude drivers, uncaring people. I just remember most people in Oklahoma being nice- everybody seems nicer in the midwest for some reason.

One thing I do like about Florida is we have year round riding weather (even though we have insane traffic sometimes- NOTHING like that comes close in Tulsa). It dropped down to a low of 38 degrees and I was able to ride in that weather. There are alot of motorcycles in Florida though most people ride for leisure on weekends- alot of poor college students use it as their only means of transportation. I don't remember seeing as many motorcycles in Oklahoma. I don't actually ride a motorcycle- I ride two scooters, one of which is as big and as fast as a small motorcycle and is capable of expressway speeds.

So, my questions are:

1) how many potholes on the road- lots of big ones? Florida only gets small potholes and our roads are worked on every so often (once every 5 years or so for major repairs). Potholes get filled within a few weeks. We have bumpy roads but few potholes, none that I felt would make me crash but I try and avoid them.

2) how is the wind there, anybody have trouble riding with the wind? I rode my new Honda Reflex home several months ago on a windy day in Florida on the expressway and it scared the crap out of me. Winds were pretty fast for Florida, maybe over 25 mph. I was going about 60-65, though, at slower speeds I probably wouldn't have been as freaked out as much.

3) do the roads have problems with ice in the winter? I know it gets cold and I can ride in the cold but draw the line at ice. How many days are the roads potentially icy every year. I love riding and hate the thought of being grounded and forced to use a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 03:45 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Since there are weather extremes in Oklahoma, the roads are generally not in as good a shape as they are in Florida, so yes there are more potholes. I particularly hear people in Tulsa complaining about the condition of the roads quite a bit.

The wind in Oklahoma can be a problem at times, especially in the spring.

Ice in the winter? Yes, there are periods of ice in the winter but they usually don't last for more than a few days at a time.

All in all, Oklahoma weather and conditions tend to make it less "motorcycle friendly" than a place like Florida. However, I road a motorcycle there for a few years and didn't have any big problems. It will be colder, and sometimes even wetter, but it can be done.

I hope this helps! Good luck.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,975 times
My son rides a motorcycle all the time in/around Tulsa with no issues. In the winter when we get alot of the freeze/thaw situation is when you see alot of pot holes, and yes there can be quite a few within the city limits of Tulsa. There appears to me to be alot of motorcycles on the road in Oklahoma now. Don't know if it has to do with the high gas prices or what, but they are more abundant than ever. Our weather is great for motorcycle riding, in the winter it does not stay cold very long. But in the heat of the summer, it does get maybe too hot to ride.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:26 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
I'm not too fond of hot weather but I ride in Florida even when it is 95-97 degrees. I prefer riding in the evenings in the summer. The heat index here in the summer usually tops 104-107. I remember Oklahoma being somewhat dryer but I also remember the summers felt like an oven.

When it gets really hot you start to sweat alot (and it really only cools you off if you are moving) and you have to consume a pint of water every ride just about (Gatorade usually). It is a fact that the wind-shear factor of riding a motorcycle usually causes it to feel 10-25 degrees cooler than ambient air, which is one reason it actually starts to feel cold for me when the air temperature hits 74 here, and it is even worse with a "naked" motorcycle with no faring.

We get potholes in Florida too, but they tend to happen on the roads that were thrown up fast/on the cheap; the ground here is not always firm, sometimes it is muddy or spongey. One road outside our neighborhood gets them alot, but they are usually shallow potholes and not deep. Usually not deep enough to cause a crash. The only time I came close I was riding home at night, hit a pothole inside our neighborhood and my suspension bottomed out. I noticed the next day it was patched.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:30 AM

31 posts, read 151,038 times
Exclamation Great Motorcycling in NE Oklahoma

The motorcycling is great in Oklahoma. In fact, I have an entire web site that originated on that premise.

Many people think of flat, open prairie when they hear Oklahoma. But the eastern half of the state is really quite different and offers some great motorcycling- on or off road. A few minutes from downtown Tulsa you can cruise the rolling hills of the Osage. An hour to the east are the Ozarks and some of the best twisties in America. Head for southwestern Oklahoma and you'll find beautiful scenery along legendary roads like the Talimena Drive.

Places 2 Ride lists places to go and things to on a motorcycle. In the beginning it was just off-road trails and scenic highways in Oklahoma- today it lists riders' favorites from all over the world. Drop by and share your favorite!

Places to Ride- motorcycles, motorcycling events and riding gear: Places 2 Ride

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-05-2008 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: fixed link for poster

Old 12-27-2007, 07:07 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
In Tulsa proper??? Probably not now. Check back in a couple of years and we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: