Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:25 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybell View Post
. A lady is looking for a safe place to live with her husband and young baby. Husband will be working all day and wife will be home all day with the baby and no car.

Please tell her that she cannot realistically think she is going to live in an apartment next to Riverside Airport and walk everywhere pushing her baby stroller, buying all her necessities and taking her baby to the doctor if necessary.

She needs a car and recommendations for safe places to live in that area. Not commentary on the Philbrook museum of art.

It is not walking distance from Riverside airport anyway.

CCCooper you need a car period if you plan on moving to Tulsa.

Original opening post--
ccccooper said:

[quote]HELP!! English Couple & Baby need Advice!!!!
Quote:
... returning whilst he trains at Riverside Airport for 3 months from April - July. 90 days to find, have it checked out and buy a car....after cycling all over town to look at them, then get the financing, unless they have the cash, insurance, driver's tests and then to get it sold before they leave....maybe I am just thinking about how with my last car it took me over a month from the time time I decided to buy a new one to find the right one.

Quote:
So ... (sorry for my ramblings) - where would people suggest - our needs are that David, my husband, will need to be within cycling distance of Riverside Airport (no budget for a car unless someone can suggest where we could buy a very very cheap one second hand and sell on when we leave!) -
I don't know how cheap she is talking about and if it needs to be, as she said "very,very cheap" --- is a cheap car going to keep running or quit on them?....and is having a car to be sold going to hold them up if they don't get it sold in their very limited amount of tme....and how soon will they have to start advertising it to get it sold before they have to be gone. (I have a friend with a really cute 97 dark green Mustang convertible with a gold top. Advertising it on Autotraders at a fair price she has been contacted 4 times in about a month from people....who plan to come look at it...but it isn't sold yet. She has had a "for sale" sign on it for even longer. )

Quote:
I would love to be able to leave our home and walk to grocery store, nice eateries, visit the galleries, join a 'funky' and arty mummy and baby group and ultimately feel safe as we will be on our own a lot whilst my husband is doing his thing - a communal pool would be a plus.
Quote:
...our problem is just not knowing where to be based and also who would do a short 3 month lease and having found this great forum thought it best to take advice from the people who know Tulsa well and would proffer sound unbiased views.
Quote:
PPPPPPPPLLLLEEEASE be generous with your views and pointers
- It was my view that in her particular circumstances a car might not be feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 02:32 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Sooner, thank you for providing a good, concise and to-the-point answer to the Englishwoman moving to Tulsa. Among the endless, useless and unrelated marketing posted by Synopsis, your advice is smart and honest.

She really needs a car, and she can find one for cheap. Or should she wait for the Tulsa 2025 Vision Plan that City Promoter Synopsis has told us about?

Yes the lady will need a car in Tulsa, as she would need a car in the following cities as well:

Dallas
Denver
St. Louis
Miami
Minneapolis
Los Angeles
San Diego
Austin
Sacramento
Charlotte
Des Moine
Albuquerque
Houston

and practically every other city in the US. The short list for those cities where one would NOT need a car would be as follows:

New York City
Washington D.C.
Boston
and perhaps a few others such as Seattle or San Francisco; but you could argue that a car would pretty much be needed in those cities too.

This thread started out with a lady asking about transportation for her upcoming stay in Tulsa and expressing a few things she enjoys. This is a great place to gather such information.

Of course, Manhattan-ite offers the advice that she will need a car, but in with that he sprinkles in a little extra criticism of the city such as "no art galleries," etc (which is entirely untrue, thus the reasons behind my posts regarding The Philbrook, art galleries, and so on). See the following post:

Why, darling! I'm afraid you're mistaking Tulsa for New York City or a European town! People don't walk in Tulsa (it has been discussed here before), people are not exactly "funky" and "arty" in Tulsa, and as for galleries, I believe there is one single real art gallery in the city (M. A. Doran Gallery).

In fact (as we have discussed here before too), you won't see many people "out" in the streets at all. They're all in their cars, houses or in the stores (we assume).

Get a car and go to the mall, move to a walkable city or change your expectations!

FYI. Thee are "arty" (BTW, it's ARTSY mr. know-it-all) and "funky" people in Tulsa, and how would you know anyway, have you taken some sort of poll? If so, SHARE the results with the rest of us.

And here's another great tidbit of knowledge from Mr. M-ite:

I thought she was asking for commercial art galleries. Which, other than framing and poster shops, there really are not many.

First it was "none" and then he went back and changed it to "one," and then Mannhattan-ite presumes to understand that the lady was asking for commercial galleries, of which there are "not many." So what is it Mannhattan-ite, do you KNOW what the heck you're talking about or making this up all along?

Your continual posts do nothing but deride the city and emphasize that it's some sort of place that "time forgot," which couldn't be further from the truth! The city, as I and others have shown, has more than its share of world class amenities for a city of its size and some quite a bit larger.

Manhattan-ite cannot seem to offer any information about the city of Tulsa without it being completely negative. Mannhattan-ite claims (on this forum and in his/her PM to me) to be offering GOOD advice for helping those people seeking information about the city of Tulsa but it's clear to see the only motive or agenda Mannhattan-ite has is to point out the negatives of Tulsa; negatives that are prevalent in any other city in the U.S.

So, my counterpoints to Mannhattan-ite's negative viewpoints regarding the City of Tulsa will continue.

BTW, Mannhattan-ite, sending me PMs accusing me of such things as working for the city and saying that I'm breaking the rules on this forum will do you NO GOOD. Save your breath for posting on this forum, because you will need it, believe me.

If you want to post something; post it on this forum for all to see. I'll debate you when I get around to reading your derisive posts.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:28 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,877 times
Geez... This is getting to be obnoxious. I'm outta here. Synopsis is obsessed with me!!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Mannhattan-ite, for the record, I have no problem with criticism.

Tulsa has it's share of problems. For one, it has too much crime for a city of it's size. Tulsa's crime rate (and Ok City's) is on par with cities like Houston and Dallas, and I don't understand why. But it's a big problem that Tulsa needs to take care of, and do so soon. I understand that the Mayor is looking for an external candidate for the Police Chief vacancy which will be open in May. Apparently the internal politico struggles within the police dept. have not done the city or it's crime rate much good.

And, although Tulsa's economy seems to be doing okay, I think most of those jobs are not exactly the highest paying jobs. Most of the readily available jobs are mid to lower tier jobs. I do think they are trying to address that issue though.

I think Tulsa is in the midst of a growing phase due to some recent economic expansion and the desire for many of its citizens to get out of what I would call a somewhat "stagnant" era in Tulsa's history. Although the metro area is the largest in the state, the city of Tulsa's population has actually declined by several thousand people over the last twenty years. They are starting to see a rebounding of those numbers, and the economy and infrastructure (political and otherwise) are going through a lot of changes. Changes for the better, but inherently some bad comes with the good (at least for the time being).

So, Mannhattan-ite, if you think that I have rose-colored glasses on, please think again. The only reason that I respond in kind to most every post you make is to counterbalance the negatives that you put forth that offer no substance. In short it doesn't sound like constructive criticism, just unbridled criticism for criticism's sake.

Perhaps you hate the city because something bad happened to you there and you have a big distaste for everything Tulsa. Maybe you were arrested (not kidding) for something you didn't do. I don't know, but obviously you have quite a dislike for the city and for all I know you may very well have good reason on a personal level. But, I don't believe that you've simply got relatives in Tulsa and find it to be the sad, depressing, backwater place that you paint in every post.

I believe there is solid reason that you dislike Tulsa so, and I wish you'd fess up and tell everyone what that reason is.

Last edited by Synopsis; 02-26-2007 at 05:36 AM..

Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,687 times
Hi, I hope that you have been able to work things out, but I just wanted to tell you not to be too turned off by Tulsa. I don't live there, but I live very near, and I make trips there all the time and love Tulsa. Anyway, the airport that you are talking about is on the outer border of Tulsa in Jenks, OK. Jenks is a much "smaller feeling" town than Tulsa. And as for the not artsy thing, well it's all in where you look. I actually think that there are many artsy-hip people in Tulsa, and there are many worth while things to see there. Anyway, if you need to find other apartments near the airport, I would suggest entering the airport's address, 8605 S Elwood Ave, Tulsa, OK, on mapquest and then type apartments in the "find nearby" box above the map. Anyway, about the car thing...yes, I would say that you would be much happier with one if at all possible. You may think about renting one. Anyway, good luck, and I hope your move goes well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa