Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 07:04 AM

840 posts, read 3,467,729 times

Advertisements

Tulsa World: Tulsa home values stay stable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:35 AM

119 posts, read 369,137 times
It sounds like the bloggers on the link you provided don't think that the Zillow Real Estate report holds much water. I'd like to know what some of our local City-Data experts think. Is there enough industry and tax base to keep the Tulsa area (and all of OK) economically stable for the foreseeable future?

I may find myself there in the next few years and I don't want to be blamed for bringing the economic woes of CT with me!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
We have a pretty solid economy in Tulsa. Frankly I find Zillow laughable........

Old 11-21-2008, 07:29 PM

My research thus far has shown an effort to diversify the OK economy in the past 2 decades (less oil and more hi-tech, etc.). I haven't found anything on the boards that specifically addresses how recent failures in the financial industry may affect things locally. For instance, Charlotte had moved away from textiles, furniture, etc. and focused more on banking in the last 20 years. That was good for them until now...Not to say they won't survive, but it will test their strength for sure. It does seem to be a benefit that OK didn't experience the R/E bubble and therefore shouldn't feel the hit that others markets have felt.

Are the prevalent industries in Tulsa or OKC likely to continue to grow or be competitive? I don't know for sure what the dominant businesses or industries are. I'm mostly curious about Tulsa specifically. Is there a particular company or sector where most people work? I was hoping to find "up-to-the-minute" info from those of you there on the ground. Most of the statistic sites I look at have pretty dated information.

If you can help, Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 PM

75 posts, read 249,506 times
aerospace with AA, spirit aerospace,nordam,bizjet,L3,luthansa technik, etc

telecom with L3, verizon, ATT,Cox

banking with BOK, CapitalOne, and HSBC

insurance with MetLife and State Farm

rental cars with HQ of Dollar Thrifty and HQ of Vanguard

plus the oil patch as always with williams, oneok,the rowland group etc

these are all solid to grow areas/companies in Tulsa area

you do also have a manufacturing sector which is chugging along but that sector I think will get hit you have a whirlpool plant and a bus plant from international

Old 11-22-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Dekes. We here in CT ran most of our manufacturing out on a rail over the last 4 decades. We put too many of our eggs (our tax revenues) in one basket (the financial services sector) and it is hurting us now. I like that OK has invested in aerospace, oil and telecom. I'll look into the industries/companies you mentioned and see if I can get a feel for how the percentages break down in relation to the overall economy of OK. I know this thread was about home values, but I do believe home values are always directly related to the strength of an economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: