Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:25 PM

7 posts, read 24,585 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retiring to the Tulsa area. We hail from SoCal, from a city that is famous for crime and gangs--San Bernardino. I was purplexed to find that when I did a crime comparison for the two cities that Tulsa was higher than San Bernardino in 4 out of a total of 7 types of crime. And Tulsa was rated higher than the national average in a number of catagories. CAn someone explain what this is all about??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 01:19 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Yeah, that's a gripe of mine about Tulsa and has been for a number of years. But fear not. I don't know what the crime rate is in the general area of San Bernardino, but Tulsa's bad crime area is mostly on the North side of town.

For the most part, Tulsa is a very safe city that doesn't have a lot of crime, but on the North side crime is rampant. The North side is roughly defined as any area North of East Pine street.

I think this gives the entire city a black eye though; the North side is a predominantly black area and the problem really needs to be addressed, whether that be through economic development of the area, community outreach programs, or whatever.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Thought maybe that's how it is. . .

Thanks for the info. Crime in San Bernardino started out in small pockets on the west side of the city. But through the years it has spread into the heart of the city. People, like us, are leaving , looking for better places to raise families--and grandkids. Our son wants to check out the area too. He is thinking of getting a degree at the University in Tulsa in library science. We are really looking forward to settling into a spot around Tulsa. Sand Springs looks nice, also Jenks and Broken Arrow. We will be making a trip out that way soon to figure out just where we want to nest. We love the prices of the homes!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM

Yes, the prices are much lower than in CA. You can get a mansion in Tulsa (in a very upscale, beautiful neighborhood) for the cost of a 1500 square foot wood frame house in California. The property taxes are pretty low there as well. Tulsa's crime is mostly relegated to the North side, as I said earlier; Jenks, Broken Arrow, a large part of Tulsa, and Sand Springs have very low crime rates.

Go to the following website for the Tulsa Police. I think you'll find the crime maps a very useful tool.

http://www.tulsapolice.org/

Old 05-15-2007, 03:23 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielee View Post
Thanks for the info. Crime in San Bernardino started out in small pockets on the west side of the city. But through the years it has spread into the heart of the city. People, like us, are leaving , looking for better places to raise families--and grandkids. Our son wants to check out the area too. He is thinking of getting a degree at the University in Tulsa in library science. We are really looking forward to settling into a spot around Tulsa. Sand Springs looks nice, also Jenks and Broken Arrow. We will be making a trip out that way soon to figure out just where we want to nest. We love the prices of the homes!
Hi Annielee,

Just wanted to put a plug in for Sand Springs. I grew up there, went to school there. Very nice place. Just so you know, south of the Arkansas River is where you will want to be, nicer, newer homes.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 AM

10 posts, read 31,071 times
To make you feel a little safer.After an afternoon class on the laws,safety and some shooting requirements;then a 90 day wait for the OSBI to investigate your background;you can get your ConcealedCarryWeapon permit in Oklahoma and carry a firearm.NO wait to buy the firearms here either like back in Cali .Just some paperwork to fill out,like they call and see if you are a felon,etc,and youre out the door in no time with a gun.or guns.I almost freaked out when I moved here.I bought 2 pistols,one for me,and one for my wife, and we have both been thru the courses and try to regularly go to a range and practice.Maybe its not for everyone.But we sure do feel alot safer than we did.And there have been a rash of home invasions here lately.Mostly in Tulsa,but there was one out here by us in BA last week and some people were shot.So.It happens everywhere.You cant go anywhere on the planet really anymore to escape the thugs and lowlifes who are too lazy to go to work and find it too easy to prey on good hardworking people.Tulsa is also car theft capital of the world I believe is what Ive heard.Just make sure you have an alarm with starter kill.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:27 PM

36 posts, read 118,089 times
Whats up, just stay out of the Northside of the city; there is a lot of crime and they can tell who is an outsider. Owasso is a nice town, and of course you have Jenks, Bixby, Broken Arrow. It depends on what you want to live in Tulsa or get some land in the country? The cost of living is a lot less than SoCal and if you enjoy fishing or watersports there are several lakes. If you want an area with character in town look around the Utica Square area. If you want a nice home on an acre look at Owasso, Jenks,.......

Old 05-19-2007, 05:06 PM

Lots of possibilities. The lakes are wonderful. We rented a cabin at Fort Gibson Lake in March for a few days while we were checking out the different towns. It was so peaceful and pretty. We were amazed ( and delighted) that there was hardly anyone there. In Cali, you can't go anywhere without meeting tons of people and traffic--very discouraging. We're aiming to be out of cali by the end of summer. We have seen some nice houses with ponds. Are mosquitos a hassle??

Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 AM

17 posts, read 66,650 times
Live in south Tulsa and either move into the Jenks or Union School District. They are the best schools in the state academically and athletically. Plus the area has the best shopping around, is mostly new, is clean, and is safe. I grew up going to Jenks and lived in South Tulsa and it was a GREAT place to grow up. It will cost you a little bit more money than some places in Tulsa or on the outskirts, but it is worth it if you can afford it.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielee View Post
Are mosquitos a hassle??
Mosquitos are probably going to be worse than in California, but that's what comes along with a more humid area. It also depends on how much rain you get in a given season. But, they aren't horrible problems there. A few tips are to wear some mosquito repellant around dawn and dusk, and for some reason I always hear the suggestion to wear light (as in color) clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa