Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 27,975 times

Advertisements

Okay so I'm from California I've lived here my whole life n now I'm considering movin to Tulsa, Ok.
My husband want to move here and before I make a decesion I need to know a little more bout the city. Please can anyone help me?

1. Does Tulsa get tornado's n if so how often? (dat hella scary)

2. How are the schools rated does anyone know if they are better then Cali
schools, I have three kids n I dont want to move them out there n for the school system to be behind.

3. We have HELLA sex offenders in California they've like over populated our state, thankfully we got da megans law site that list all the sex offenders w/ addresses is there anything like that in Ok?

4. What is the price of livin in Ok, just lookin @ the house's out there I could get a mansion for da prices I would pay for a little shak in Cali. Does anyone know what like the standard pay for like an Office Assistant / Secretary is?

5. How is the weather? Does it snow?

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THESE QUESTION????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM

702 posts, read 2,518,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassas View Post
Okay so I'm from California I've lived here my whole life n now I'm considering movin to Tulsa, Ok.
My husband want to move here and before I make a decesion I need to know a little more bout the city. Please can anyone help me?

schools, I have three kids n I dont want to move them out there n for the school system to be behind.

3. We have HELLA sex offenders in California they've like over populated our state, thankfully we got da megans law site that list all the sex offenders w/ addresses is there anything like that in Ok?

4. What is the price of livin in Ok, just lookin @ the house's out there I could get a mansion for da prices I would pay for a little shak in Cali. Does anyone know what like the standard pay for like an Office Assistant / Secretary is?

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THESE QUESTION????????
Tornadoes - yes, but less scary then your earthquakes.
Good schools, especially if you choose to live in south Tulsa in the Jenks school district or north of Tulsa in Owasso.

Crime in Tulsa is low I'd say for a city of it's size. Here is the sex offenders site:
Sex Offender Registry - Home (http://docapp8.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=190&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30 - broken link)

Price of living in Ok. is cheap, housing prices are very reasonable, especially compared to California. Property taxes are reasonable as well.

Weather is great, get all 4 seasons. Winter is usually mild but occasionally will snow and get ice storms.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:09 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Average Weather for Tulsa, OK - Temperature and Precipitation

This will give you an idea of what the weather is like in Tulsa.

//www.city-data.com/city/Tulsa-Oklahoma.html

This will give you a bit of info about the crime, sex offenders, weather, etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 27,975 times
Thank you for replyin to my post everyone.

How often do they get tornados. Yes we get earth quakes in Cali but not very often I've lived here my whole life n never felt one.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Well, you can live in Oklahoma your whole life and never see a tornado. That's the way it is for most Oklahomans. As far as I know, you're far more likely to be killed in a car wreck or hit by lightening than to be affected by a tornado. If you aren't afraid to ride in a car, then you shouldn't worry too much about tornadoes.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 PM

18 posts, read 120,189 times
I am one of those that have lived here my whole life (31 years) and have never seen, or even been close to a tornado. There is a very common misconception about tornados for people who have never lived around areas with tornados. Let me explain it: first of all, MOST tornados never touch the ground. Next, the ones that do touch the ground usually only last a few minutes or even seconds. Finally, when they do touch the ground for more than a few minutes their path of destruction is very small. Usually about as wide as a football field. Now, dont get me wrong, there are, have been, and will be exceptions. But overall, I am about a scared of a tornado affecting my life as a meteor dropping from the sky. Could it happen? Sure. Is there much chance of it happening? Not at all.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:34 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Well, my first tornado was when I was in elementary school at 46th st north and Mingo Road. that would have been in the mid-50's. I saw the easter tornado in the early 80's that took out a lot of east Tulsa, along the BA expressway. I saw several out near Perry over the past few years, but never actually had any problems with them. I have more trouble with folks from up north or one of the coasts than I do with tornados...........

Old 09-27-2007, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 16,322 times
Default One guys thoughts from a fellow Californian

Well, Kassas,

I would like to respond to your post. I too am from out west (Arizona born, California raised). I grew up on the central coast in Arroyo Grande, so I guess I was pretty blessed with where I got to live. But let me tell you a little story about my move to Tulsa, Ok.

I had some friends that I met on a missions-trip back in High School who lived in Tulsa. They told me how great it was, and how small and home'y it was, and just an all around great place to be. I kept in touch with them and they invited me to visit Tulsa. I did.
It seemed very nice and so much different form where I grew up in Cali/ Arizona. The homes where all brick, and there was lot of trees and green grass, and pretty friendly folks. Then, being the young kid that I was, was talked in to moving from out west to Tulsa.
I moved. After about three months I realized what a mistake I had made. It was all of the thing that my friends has said Tulsa was, but it was true culture shock. The biggest thing that I couldn't get over was the subtle racism, the strange Okie accent, the slow-pace of driving, etc. I finally ended up moving down to Dallas, TX--which was wonderful--I really love Texas, but after living in this part of the country I finally understand some of the issues that people deal with. Everywhere can be either good or bad, I see that now. However, about a year ago I decided to take a chance and move back to Tulsa to take a job. I still had some great friends there, so I took a chance hoping the place had changed...progressed. Answer: a little, but not much. Tulsa is about 10 years behind the rest of the nation in just about everything. Even Tulsa's rival Oklahoma City is moving forward and is creating a great, livable city.
It is very conservative here and change happens at a snails pace--government, building, culture, mind-sets, etc. Which is a strange view point to take since I, my self, am a Christian and rather conservative.

I am not "bashing" Tulsa, but just trying to be as honest as possible with my view point. There are some wonderful people in this city, and although Oklahoman's kind of walk around with a chip on their shoulder's because they are always being pushed around by larger states (ie. mainly Texas), they are good people. It is a great place to raise a family!!!! And people are very friendly. The best thing, if you are able is to visit here ans make your own decision.

to answer your Q's:

Tornados are kind of like earthquakes...very rarely do you experience one, but it doesn't mean you can't. This is "tornado alley". But they are crazy with their weather out here and the news gets its biggest ratings when there is tornatic/sever storms in the viewing area. You will be forewarned.

schools, I have three kids n I don't want to move them out there n for the school system to be behind.

First I am pushing 30 and still don't have any kids. Tulsa does have good schools, but is all about the school district that you live in. Tulsa public schools have there issues, but they are in no way like some of the public systems like CA city such as LA, Riverside, San Bernardino, etc. Union and Jenks are the best.

Yes, the law is out here as well. I really don't think you can say that you can find a place that is free of deviants. However, I can say there is fewer here than out in CA. I understand your worries--grosse!

4. What is the price of living in Ok, just looking @ the house's out there I could get a mansion for da prices I would pay for a little shak in Cali. Does anyone know what like the standard pay for like an Office Assistant / Secretary is?

You will live this aspect of living outside of CA!!!! I pulled a for sale flier from a house the other day that was a really nice 3bd, 2 bth for 160K. Good neighborhood too! I am not sure on the salary thing, but wages are much lower here.

This is a hard question to answer. Un like CA, which has two seasons normally (rainy/ dry), Tulsa weather has many seasons. Well, the entire southern plans for that matter. Summers are HOT and very STICKY. Fall and Spring can be short lived, but very nice....what I like to call "California-days". Winters can be very chilly. It is the wind chill that really gets ya out here. And YES...it does snow. It snowed quite a bit this past winter. But the main thing that takes place in winter is the ICE storms. You'll understand if you decide to move out this way.

Well, I hope that helps. As for me I am moving back to Arizona in a few months. I'll take a dry heat over this sauna heat any day of the week.

Good luck on your decisions. I will probably get a few negative rebuttals from natives, but I can bet that they have not left the state. (And going to Six Flags in Texas doesn't count!)

Old 09-28-2007, 05:35 AM

702 posts, read 2,518,727 times
Interesting comments above. Every city and places to live is going to have issues, Tulsa is no exception. It comes down to does the positives out weigh the negatives, for Tulsa and Oklahoma in general I think it overwhelmingly does. I personally like the 4 seasons, I've spent alot of time in the Scottsdale area for example. I'd personally get very bored with the desert 365 days a year and the exact same climate.

And from a selfish stand point, I don't want Tulsa to be perfect, cause if it was, everybody and their dog would be moving in here and we'd be no different than Dallas with 6M+ people crammed into a traffic jam, horrendous crime ladened area of the country.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:13 AM

14 posts, read 119,184 times
Just come for a short visit, there is bad in every city in every state, there is good in every city in every state!

The only problem I have with living in Tulsa is that the folks here for some reason sit toooooooo loooooong when the light turns green. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa