Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
good list. I recall for a time they had brought back a show popular when my mom was younger--"Hazel".............I thought it was hilarious
Wish they would bring back

Coach
My Three Sons

as well as some others have mentioned.
I loved Coach. That's back when TV was good well not all TV I tried to watch Perfect Strangers as an adult and I couldn't get through it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
Love the Nanny. Hated Sanford and Son. Would love to see Murphy Brown, Designing Women, Coach again. Roseanne is beat to death on another channel. But, every time I see an episode of The Nanny or Roseanne I stop and watch it, doesn't matter how long ago I last saw it. Could do without Full HOuse and Family Matters. I used to watch them, but like other stuff better.

I also miss Eight is Enough.
I would LOVE to see Murphy Brown and Designing Women come back! I figured with Dixie Carter's recent death the possibility of Designing Women returning for a short time may have been possible, but I guess I was wrong.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
Esther was the only funny one on S&S. As long as she appears on an episode, it could stay on the air until I'm 70! Otherwise, it can go away like the other shows.
include grady,uncle willie and the cops in funny

Old 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
include grady,uncle willie and the cops in funny
I never paid any attention to the others--just Esther and her hypocritical humor, LOL!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
I wrote a letter once
It said "If you don't put Coach back on the air I will be disappointed. The skilled acting of Craig T Nelson will be missed"
But then white-out got spilled accidentally over it without me noticing and it made it look like I wrote
"If you don't put Coach back on the air I will kill Craig T Nelson"
Then Craig T Nelson showed up at my house with a gun and told me to "make it quick"

(rep points for whoever gets the reference)

Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I miss the days of good sitcoms, rather than all the reality garbage that's on today....

Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Anyone that thinks Sandford & Son was funny obviously never saw the BBC sitcom on which it was based (which really WAS funny) Steptoe & Son.

S&S was just a pale imitation, somewhat the same way All in The Family was a pale American adaptation of the BBC sitcom Till Death Us do Part.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 PM

229 posts, read 879,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
N@N has changed from what it used to be.
Sometime in the mid 90's, Nick, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, AMC and a number of other channels had received a report from some study ( consultants ) that they need to start apealling to that "younger demographic" so out went the old..in came in the "new",in favor of shows that the consultants assumed would be popular with 20 and 30 year olds.

Also at the same time the consultants started, so they say anyway to the art of "testing" shows to see what works nationwide, not regional. This was one reason why Car 54 was dropped by Nick and Comedy Central. Cat 54 did well in New York City...but sucked in Phoenix and Denver, so said the consultants anyway. Of course did these people actually test Car 54 in Phoenix or Denver? Or did they just "assumed" ?

That "younger demo" is one key reason why Betty White is so popular now. If those 20 somethings didn't like her, chances are Betty would be enjoying her twlight years on some beach in Hawaii or someplace sipping cocktails right now rather than hosting an episode of Saturday Night Live and starring in a new show for TV Land.

Last edited by cathy J.; 06-18-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I love the Nanny, I used to watch it every night before we moved. Can't wait to get cable again soon, haven't watched TV in almost 2 months.

I thought it was supposed to move to TV Land in April?

Old 06-19-2010, 04:41 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Anyone that thinks Sandford & Son was funny obviously never saw the BBC sitcom on which it was based (which really WAS funny) Steptoe & Son.
Funny is subjective.

I've seen Steptoe. A lot of it went over my head (as in "Who/what are they laughing at?"), assuming I was able to understand WTF they were saying in the first place. Their dialect was heavy, to put it politely. I do much better with Northern dialects than I do with Cockney, especially when it's that Cockney rhyming slang stuff.

As a Los Angeles native who was an adult when Sanford was first broadcast, every bit of it hit home, including even the subtle local references that would get by a lot of Americans from other parts of the country.

I see you're from Sydney. Maybe the cultural humor didn't strike a chord?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV