Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,323,162 times

Advertisements

Seems like the only time PBS shows anything besides Antiques Roadshow is Pledge Week. They want you to donate to support all these great shows but the only time they're shown is when they're continuously interrupted to shake you down for cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:59 AM

16,805 posts, read 40,036,569 times
The L.A. station seems to show the same two specials during Beg Week, and they're both long in the tooth. That boring doo wop music special with all the elderly musicians from the fifties, and that Ralph Story doc about stuff that isn't here in L.A. anymore.

And the same 3 or 4 Britcoms, over and over and over ad infinitum ad nauseam.

PBS bores me now. So much airtime is set aside for their kid stuff. That's good for the kids and parents of kids, but not for me. And after midnight (when my TV is usually on) they play short classical music videos. **YAWN** My public broadcasting donations are now limited to NPR and local college radio stations.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:35 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,797,432 times
It must be your PBS affiliate. I get shows like Nature, Nova, Frontline, American Experience, Great Performances, Masterpiece Mystery, This Old House, and Antique Roadshow at least once a week. During Pledge week the local affiliate shows specials (mostly music, sometimes plays -- Hamlet from the last pledge cycle was pretty good). They are usually shown over and over, and the pledge week has turned into a pledge fortnight.

I grin and bear it and think of ways PBS stations could better raise money. Then the "week" is over and I forget all of my good ideas.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,259,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
It must be your PBS affiliate. I get shows like Nature, Nova, Frontline, American Experience, Great Performances, Masterpiece Mystery, This Old House, and Antique Roadshow at least once a week. During Pledge week the local affiliate shows specials (mostly music, sometimes plays -- Hamlet from the last pledge cycle was pretty good). They are usually shown over and over, and the pledge week has turned into a pledge fortnight.

I grin and bear it and think of ways PBS stations could better raise money. Then the "week" is over and I forget all of my good ideas.

I get all those programs too. Just saw Carole King and James Taylor special. It was great. Have seen many great groups/singers that I never got to see in person when I was young and poor.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,356,716 times
PBS actually has some of the best programming on television. I guess they have to raise money however they can. I will admit when they are raising money some of the best shows ever are on there.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,495,414 times
Don't forget Ken Burns' documentaries are also on PBS. The National Parks was amazing!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM

29,781 posts, read 34,545,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Seems like the only time PBS shows anything besides Antiques Roadshow is Pledge Week. They want you to donate to support all these great shows but the only time they're shown is when they're continuously interrupted to shake you down for cash.
I've always thought the opposite. I watch lots of PBS stuff: Masterpiece Theater, Frontline, American Experience, Nova, History Detectives, etc, but during the pledge drive they show senior citizen programming like Josh Grobin specials and Doo Wop concerts. I'd give money for Mystery, but not the Suze Orman specials they're constantly pushing during pledge drives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV