Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,356,912 times

Advertisements

If there was (were?) a math channel, I'd watch it.

Also, if done right, I think I would enjoy a grammar channel. In English, that is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 02:43 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,560,957 times
I absolutely hate all the so called reality shows. When will they fade out? Yuck. Variety shows were very good like the Carol Burnett show that made you laugh. Now all we can see that is any good is reruns of them and some movies on the classic movie channel. The new comedy shows are mostly bad language to laugh at, like in junior high.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:51 PM

448 posts, read 535,230 times
Yea buddy, TV's been sucking for a while. I hope youre not just realizing this now.

Ads, and the FCC really boned the viewers over. It seems like there's more ads while watching a 30min program than there is of the actual show!

I would rather see beer and cigarrette ads (but they don't have them anymore) than sh*t about tampons, buying some car, or being above the influence and not smoking weed.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:59 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,663,757 times
Agreed, television is a real time waster. Even the few channels which were once pleasant or watchable now being turned into the same old stale reality type format on nearly every channel. Must be cheaper to produce than a quality program. And the masses keep buying and watching this mind numbing cr*p evidently or they wouldn't keep showing week after week. Am personally about ready to discontinue satellite/cable and put the money saved into one of my rainy day accounts.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:21 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,560,957 times
Tape the shows then you can fast forward through the commercials. At least you can do something not to watch those.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:25 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,009,439 times
Less people are watching TV nowadays. I think that's a very good thing.

Happy People Watch Less TV Study Shows

Old 07-10-2010, 03:33 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,344,935 times
There is a lot of crap out there, especially reality TV. I'm not a fan of American Idol, Celebrity Apprentice, 16 and Pregnant, America's Next Top Model, just to name a few.

There is some good stuff too though. I enjoy the History Channel, SyFy, NatGeo, etc. The documentaries are usually quite good.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,915,080 times
I like A television SET, and I like to watch dvd's, but basic broadcast TV generally appeals to people who are already dumb, or are easily "dumbed down". I am happy when people who wouldn't ordinarily watch a Classic music concert tell me they watched one on tv, or enjoyed a romantic drama set in the 1800's. I hate the average talk shows. From what I can recall, they have shallow spokespersons. Plastic people. Reality TV I have always avoided. I liked TV best in the 50's and 60's. Cable is highly touted, but 90 % of it is crap. And they do have commercials. I will never become an addict. I could get a bit hooked on rainy day dvd movies, however.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,766,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Hello,

Don't you agree with me that television in the US is awful? What I see makes no sense at all. We get flooded by infomericals of the stupiest kind (become millionaire when you purchase a certain book...), we have to bear commercials every few minutes, not to talk about the repetition of tv shows all the time. We can see some c class celebrities "allowing" us to watch their lifes....but in reality it is mostly fake nonsense to make them famous and rich (15 minutes of fame).

We get fed with sensationalism in news shows as well as in tmz kind of shows. Repeating the same lame meaningless clip of celebrities leaving a restaurant or whatever. The news are just a joke, mainly insignificant local issues but we don't get the big picture. We are kept ignorant.

Voyouristic talk shows, figuring out who's the baby's father or sharing their most private issues with the audience which doesn't have an interest to help them but to mock them.

There are certainly a couple of good shows on, but the majority of program is just garbage. Am I the only one who feels like that? What do you think?
Yep - that and commercials ad nauseum. It is a wasteland - couldn't agree with you more.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,039,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Hello,

Don't you agree with me that television in the US is awful? What I see makes no sense at all. We get flooded by infomericals of the stupiest kind (become millionaire when you purchase a certain book...), we have to bear commercials every few minutes, not to talk about the repetition of tv shows all the time. We can see some c class celebrities "allowing" us to watch their lifes....but in reality it is mostly fake nonsense to make them famous and rich (15 minutes of fame).

We get fed with sensationalism in news shows as well as in tmz kind of shows. Repeating the same lame meaningless clip of celebrities leaving a restaurant or whatever. The news are just a joke, mainly insignificant local issues but we don't get the big picture. We are kept ignorant.

Voyouristic talk shows, figuring out who's the baby's father or sharing their most private issues with the audience which doesn't have an interest to help them but to mock them.

There are certainly a couple of good shows on, but the majority of program is just garbage. Am I the only one who feels like that? What do you think?
I'd love to tell you that I read books. It would be great if I could truthfully say that I just finished Dickens's Great Expectations. I'd seem at least somewhat intellectual. But the truth is, I don't read much other than street signs and restaurant menus. But I do watch TV and go to the movies. And I'm telling you, you've got to get that remote and change channels.

I don't do reality TV shows. I watched the first few shows in the first season of Survivor. That was it. I thought the show was going to be about actually surviving. But no, it was about getting "alliances". C'mon!

I like PBS, TCM, and various sporting events, and yes, 60 Minutes. 30 Rock is pretty good, as is The Office. I hate to admit it, but I like The Simpsons. I've been watching it for years. I tune in to the History Channel regularly. I'm not sure why, but I find old newsreels interesting. I never would have thought that I'd find archival footage of Warren Harding fascinating.

Yeah, you've got to look around the dial for the good programs. Either that or start reading a book, whatever that is.

Last edited by GalileoSmith; 07-10-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV