Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,612,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
Let me start by saying that I am white, 33f, and gave up watching television about 10 years ago.

Yesterday I was at a bar and I happened to glance at one of their televisions, seeing the introduction to the show "All My Children". The intro flashed through face shots of every character on the show - about 15 or so - and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that every single person on that show is lily white. Not even one token minority race is represented to try to add a shred of reality to this program. Now, I realize soap operas are stupid - I used to watch them 20 years ago when I was 13 and the plot lines are absurdly unrealistic. But now, 20 years later, I'm really really surprised to see such a false representation of people in this country on the television every day.

Does anyone watch these shows? Don't the deceit and fakeness bother you? And what a lame message to portray to the rest of the world if they tap into these shows - that everyone in the US is beautiful, white, and rich. It must be true if it's on the television!
maybe in 6th grade I watched-lol. Yes- it is truly phony and plastic. I couldnt believe at a law office I worked and the girl would watch "Bold and Beautiful" regularly. What trash!.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:28 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,887 times
I think what I have more of a problem with is...

why are there so many not-so-attractive men on tv (little overweight, not the greek god looking type, etc....think "king of queens")....but nearly every female has to be able to wear (at largest) a size 2 pants?!?

Old 07-26-2007, 02:43 AM

420 posts, read 2,200,236 times
A few things...

Not sure what the thread starter is trying to tell us. She hasn't watched TV in 10 years and all of a sudden she's telling us what's wrong with it?!? haha jk.

As far as unattractive men on tv...regardless of his lack of aesthetic pedigree, Kevin James is f'ing hilarious and epitomizes the male brain. People find this funny. And c'mon, there's always a bunch of less-than-perfect women on Lifetime, that's for sure.

Moving on, Seinfeld, as far as I'm concerned, was, is, and practically always will be the funniest show ever on television. I've seen every episode multiple times, I've seen Jerry do his stand-up a half-dozen times, and I will always laugh.

Lastly, there is much more diversity on TV than there ever was in decades of the past. For instance, All in the Family's folksy racism is something that would get a show booted off the air today. MTV, the terrible channel that it is, loves to make realistically phony situations using people of all different races. You've got your BET there. As previously stated, the primetime shows such as LOST involve a lot of diverse characters.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:43 AM

28,958 posts, read 30,311,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
Let me start by saying that I am white, 33f, and gave up watching television about 10 years ago.

Yesterday I was at a bar and I happened to glance at one of their televisions, seeing the introduction to the show "All My Children". The intro flashed through face shots of every character on the show - about 15 or so - and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that every single person on that show is lily white. Not even one token minority race is represented to try to add a shred of reality to this program. Now, I realize soap operas are stupid - I used to watch them 20 years ago when I was 13 and the plot lines are absurdly unrealistic. But now, 20 years later, I'm really really surprised to see such a false representation of people in this country on the television every day.

Does anyone watch these shows? Don't the deceit and fakeness bother you? And what a lame message to portray to the rest of the world if they tap into these shows - that everyone in the US is beautiful, white, and rich. It must be true if it's on the television!
I believe things have changed a whole lot....and yes, I watch TV, but not soap operas...

mainly movies, news, history, nature....etc.

We are now to my way of thinking a very diversed nation...I believe if you feel this way, you might try tuneing in on some shows and you'll find things have changed drastically...

We have come a long way the from Archie Bunker days.

By the way, to me and for me, comparing Soap Operas to other programming is like comparing liver to lobster....or my boss to Einstein.... hehe

Soap Operas have done their share of shaping society....everyone on those shows are calculating, deviates who act like live hormones with arms and legs running around having sex....not making love....hmmmm, and I wonder why there is so much of that going on today?

When I'm home sick I can't believe the garbage that is on daytime TV...but that's just me...

Old 07-26-2007, 07:30 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
I find it interesting that there is diversity on mainstream channels and yet there is a BET (Black Entertainment Television); would a CET (Caucasian Entertainment Television) be as accepted?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 PM

562 posts, read 660,911 times
Maybe "All my children" has to do with a White family?

I didn't see any whiteys in Bill Cosby's family on The Cosby Show .....

Old 07-26-2007, 08:56 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,834 times
Last shows I watched on TV faithfully was Monday Night Raw and Thursday Night Smackdown! because The Rock was on them laying the Smacketh Down on Jabronies' Candy Arses.

Seriously, though. Really haven't had reason to look at a TV at all since he went Hollywood.

But, honestly, who can top Oprah? I'd probably tune her in if I were home.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:03 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,643,895 times
AMC has been on the air for over 35 years. actors/characters come and go. over the years, some of them were black, including daytime tv's first black "super-couple" in the early 80s. nowadays, i think there's one black family (brother and sister, whose grown children "live" elsewhere at the moment) left in the valley. it's been a while since a black character has had a major storyline; but, then again, it's been a while since more than a handful of dominant performers have had a major storyline, and that accounts for my abandoning a nearly thirty-year-old habit just this year, not the lack of black faces. about that, i couldn't care less.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:43 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,035,677 times
I rarely saw whites on "The Cosby Show" or "Good Times". Those F****IN racists!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 AM

578 posts, read 2,530,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I rarely saw whites on "The Cosby Show" or "Good Times". Those F****IN racists!
Yeah, that IS right and when you did it was in a derogatory, weird way. The Cosby's white neighbors had the goofy dad with the fat little paranoid kid, Peter. On Good Times? the only whites were 'villain businessmen' or corrupt politicians. Another thing: How come a black girl can wear a tshirt saying "Strong Black Queen".... IF a white female wore shirt with the slogan: "Strong White Queen".... she would be making a racist statement? Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV