Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,282,028 times

Advertisements

I never could get interested in 24, Lost, or Fringe, but might give this one a try. Rubicon premieres 8 pm Sunday, August 1.
Clip:
After the Washington Post's "Top Secret America" series, we may not know what to think either — but somehow, despite feeling overwhelmed by the enormity of it all, we need to know more about this vast, dangerous, expensive secret government that exists right under our noses. With its patient pace and restrained style, "Rubicon" may take a while to get to the truth, but at least as viewers we suspect that there will be something weighty to discover once it does.
"Rubicon": Eerie portrait of "Top Secret America" - Rubicon - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,676,974 times
I watched the first episode already. it was available online. We really love the whole conspiracy theory-type shows! we will be watching!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 AM

461 posts, read 800,611 times
I love this show. It grabbed me immediately, have watched 3 episodes, still love it. With shows like this, watching past the second episode is rare for me (Persons Unknown, dumb). but this is great.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM

29,804 posts, read 34,633,730 times
I watched all three episodes on Sunday and am hooked. Some people I've talked to said it's too slow and atmospheric, but I'm definitely interested in finding out more.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 AM

I haven't watched the most recent episode yet, but I don't mind that it is a slower pace. It is a "thinking" show. I really believe we need a little more thought in our lives anyway!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 AM

29,804 posts, read 34,633,730 times
Quote:
but I don't mind that it is a slower pace.
I don't either, but I love the irony that people who were slavishly devoted to Lost are complaining that a show (that's only aired three episodes) is too slow and nothing is happening.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,381,850 times
I LOVE this program! It's very thought provoking. I don't think it's slow at all. The story needs to unfold at a pace that allows viewers to think about what's going on. Shows that people deem to be "exciting and fast-moving" may be fun, but they're usually TOTALLY unrealistic. Every spy story doesn't have to be a James Bond movie.

I didn't keep watching 24. Too gratuitously violent for me, not to mention unbelievable. I appreciate the fact that this program seems to be aiming for realism. I'm sure there are people looking out for our safety in ways we don't even know about. But I hope they're not all Jack Bauers.

Rubicon reminds me of an excellent British drama that is shown on PBS under the title MI-5. It was shown on BBC One under the name Spooks. It brilliantly illustrates the toll spying takes on the spy's mental health in much the same way Rubicon seems to be doing.

Count me as another one who's hooked.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM

I am liking this show more and more! Wish I had two episodes to watch instead of just the one! looking forward to next week.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,377,431 times
My husband told me about this show after he caught past eposides OnDemand. I spent the past two days catching up on all five episodes.

Love it. The pace is slow but very appropriate. It adds to the reality of it all---as in it doesn't take a day for puzzles to be solved. This is old fashioned suspense at it's finest.

I suspect the workplace atmopshere is more realistic than most other shows. I don't believe for a minute that the CIA has modern offices that look like they were constructed in the future. Too many government buildings are relics. I'm sure it is a fact that intelligence personnel tortured with boring files being thrown at them daily and faced with making decisions to kill innocent people on occassion.

I'm very interested in finding out why this secret society of former childhood buddies chose to kill one of their members and the lead character's father-in-law.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,381,850 times
Each week I'm counting the days until the next ep of this show comes on. Finally this week, a few threads started coming together. When Katherine was talking to the other widow did she see the silver-framed photo before she freaked over the four-leaf clover?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV