Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,477,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
What happened to the gay guy?
Sal was fired from Sterling Cooper last season because Lucky Strike wanted him gone after he failed to accept his sexual advances. The last we saw of him, he was lying to his wife about working late and was heading who-knows-where.

(spoilers follow)

Brian Blatt's contract was not renewed for this season, so it seems unlikely that he will return. But I can't imagine he won't be back at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,888,764 times
I think it is extremely crystal clear that Sally was masturbating and that the show's writers intended it to be obvious.

My take on it is that Sally is emotionally troubled, and emotionally troubled children do masterbate in order to comfort and soothe themselves. Yes, it is a bit early but not by much. She's a couple of years from puberty. I don't believe that she has the maturity or knowledge to be motivated by a desire to rebel against social norms. She's too young for that. She's merely trying to comfort herself in the midst of her personal anguish.

One thing that bothers me is putting a young child actor in that scene. Has anyone mentioned that? Seems, I dunno, to border on child abuse.

Last edited by chattypatty; 09-01-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
One thing that bothers me is putting a young child actor in that scene. Has anyone mentioned that? Seems, I dunno, to border on child abuse.
But the actress herself never did anything inappropriate. The director probably told her to hitch her nightgown up to her knees, but she was not asked to do anything beyond that. Besides, most child actors have their parents or agents on set, and child actors appear in all kinds of dramas and horror movies.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I think it is extremely crystal clear that Sally was masturbating and that the show's writers intended it to be obvious.

My take on it is that Sally is emotionally troubled, and emotionally troubled children do masterbate in order to comfort and soothe themselves. Yes, it is a bit early but not by much. She's a couple of years from puberty. I don't believe that she has the maturity or knowledge to be motivated by a desire to rebel against social norms. She's too young for that. She's merely trying to comfort herself in the midst of her personal anguish.

Gosh, and who said Sally wasn't masturbating? Anyone?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,888,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But the actress herself never did anything inappropriate. The director probably told her to hitch her nightgown up to her knees, but she was not asked to do anything beyond that. Besides, most child actors have their parents or agents on set, and child actors appear in all kinds of dramas and horror movies.
Yeah, I know, but she understands the storyline and I would be uncomfortable with a young child like that already portraying someone who masturbates -- just seems disconcerting to me. Children are naturally modest and that would be very embarrassing, I would think, to have the director explain to her what she is doing in that scene.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,834,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I totally disagree. I think this is representative of Don needing somebody to keep him in line.

Don Draper is all about lying, deceit and cheating. He built his "empire" on it. What I like about how Weiner is writing this show, is that Karma will catch up with Mr. Draper. We are seeing it this season. First he was slapped around by the prostitute. Then he lost his secretary. He was put in his place by Peggy. Draper will eventually hit rock bottom.

BTW dang do I love Peggy. They are doing wonders with that character.
I agree that Peggy is coming into her own. Don does need someone to keep him in line, but he seems very exasperated with his new secretary. I worked in a large law firm in the 70's and this show brings back alot of memories for me. I am not sure what will happen with this new secretary, but I wouldn't seem surprised to see him to get another attractive secretary to fit his corporate image of success. Frankly after Sunday night, I expect to see Don spending more time with booze and hookers. We'll see.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Yeah, I know, but she understands the storyline and I would be uncomfortable with a young child like that already portraying someone who masturbates -- just seems disconcerting to me. Children are naturally modest and that would be very embarrassing, I would think, to have the director explain to her what she is doing in that scene.
I guess you haven't seen this clip, then.

"Mad Men" Crew: We Know How to Party | NBC New York

Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I guess you haven't seen this clip, then.

"Mad Men" Crew: We Know How to Party | NBC New York
LOL
Good one, Fleetiebelle.
I know what Chattypatty means, though.
Here is an interview with Kiernan from about 7 months ago.
Link
While her vocabulary does sound just like that of a regular 11-12 year old kid, she does seem very mature for her age, able to handle emotional range.
I think sometimes this sophistication is a thin veneer, though.
I don't want to go too off-topic, but sometimes child actors can be plagued with so many different problems later on in life.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,477,815 times
Thought y'all would be interested to know that Barnes and Noble has season 3 on DVD right now for 50% off! Great deal!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,834,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Thought y'all would be interested to know that Barnes and Noble has season 3 on DVD right now for 50% off! Great deal!
Thanks Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV