Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Don has just gone to far, can't stand the guy anymore.
We've been down this road before. Could he have been more detestable than with Bobbie the dancer? Or when he was with the teacher? (In real life, he would have been caught.) And then something happens that brings us back.

He still has a sort of moral code about some things. I think I liked him best when he was with the wife of the real Don Draper in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,736,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
They did bring the character of Kinsey back for one episode. Interesting episode in which Harry Crane got a chance to shine as well.

I keep hoping we are going to meet Sal as a successful Hollywood producer, perhaps in conjunction with some sort of TV ad buy. Yes, I did like his character, and I hated to see him go.
Ya, Kinsey joined the Hare Kishners and there was that whole thing with his girlfriend.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,175,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Well, I for one am still wondering when they're bringing back Sal, it's 1968, the summer of love, he must be totally flaming gay by now
The before/after demarcation line for gays coming out in the open was June of 1970 when the Stonewall riots took place in Greenwich Village. Sal has a couple of years of clandestine shame to go before he can contemplate exiting the closet.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,175,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

He still has a sort of moral code about some things. I think I liked him best when he was with the wife of the real Don Draper in California.
She seemed to be the only woman Don ever truly respected to the point of never mistreating her. He used to respect Joan but that evaporated after she whored herself out to the Jaguar executive.

Don does have an oddball moral code, some elements of which he exempts himself from but imposes upon others. He has the artist's sensitivity from which he has developed a sense of integrity about his products. He will sometimes bully others, but is intolerant of seeing others bullying people. He didn't rat out or mock Sal when he discovered his true sexuality. He was infuriated when the others were making fun of the incontinent Freddy, he saw past traditional roles and opened the door for Peggy's career in the creative department and he was the only one who was offended by the idea of using Joan to land the Jaguar account. Don gets angry when he sees people being robbed of their dignity, but he will sometimes be the agent of stripping someone of their dignity. He is a complicated fellow.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,572,412 times
Was there ever any background explanation of whyDon switched identities in the first place when his friend was killed in the war? Other than he had a difficult childhood and evidently never bonded with any family members, even his half brother. It seemed like that was a spur of the moment decision, fairly easy to accomplish at the time in desperation, and an easy exit from being "a Whitman".

He did seem to be normal and rational when he was able to visit the "real" Don's wife, and acted more like a husband to her. I'm no psychologist, lol! but his having a relationship with her was some kind of "transfer" that legitimized him (in his mind) temporarily. Her death put an end to the "Don Draper" connection and since then, he's been out on a limb.

Maybe once he gets back to being Dick Whitman and the truth comes out about the identity switch, that will be where the show ends. Don Draper falling in symbolism only, not in death. With Dick Whitman rising.

Maybe a happy ending? Who ends up with Joan? Roger or Don.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM

443 posts, read 565,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
She seemed to be the only woman Don ever truly respected to the point of never mistreating her. He used to respect Joan but that evaporated after she whored herself out to the Jaguar executive.

Don does have an oddball moral code, some elements of which he exempts himself from but imposes upon others. He has the artist's sensitivity from which he has developed a sense of integrity about his products. He will sometimes bully others, but is intolerant of seeing others bullying people. He didn't rat out or mock Sal when he discovered his true sexuality. He was infuriated when the others were making fun of the incontinent Freddy, he saw past traditional roles and opened the door for Peggy's career in the creative department and he was the only one who was offended by the idea of using Joan to land the Jaguar account. Don gets angry when he sees people being robbed of their dignity, but he will sometimes be the agent of stripping someone of their dignity. He is a complicated fellow.
Those are the qualities that got me hooked on watching Don Draper. He is hard to understand and hard to pin down. I keep watching because I want to learn more about him.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,497,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Was there ever any background explanation of whyDon switched identities in the first place when his friend was killed in the war?

Yeah, he wanted to get the hell out of Korea. Don Draper was a short timer who was set to ship out in a few days, so when he was blown to bits by a mortar, Dick took his tags and pretended to be him.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,572,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Yeah, he wanted to get the hell out of Korea. Don Draper was a short timer who was set to ship out in a few days, so when he was blown to bits by a mortar, Dick took his tags and pretended to be him.

Oh... I'll have to go back and reply that episode. You're saying Don has always been a coward; I can see that in him too. He's such a sham.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Oh... I'll have to go back and reply that episode. You're saying Don has always been a coward; I can see that in him too. He's such a sham.
I don't know that he's a coward as much as an opportunist.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,497,170 times
well, in his defense, a lot of guys wanted to get out of Korea. Most of these guys were drafted and none of them wanted to be there in the first place, they just wanted to serve their time, stay alive, and go home in one piece
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV