Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 06:47 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming that since the computer was Harry's idea, it's going to be used for primarily demographic data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

3). Woodstock (I think it will be part of the story line, given Margaret's move to a commune "upstate" and Roger's dabbling in free love and drugs).
I facetiously told my brother that the scene with Roger and Margaret floundering in the mud was forshadowing for Woodstock, and he seriously agreed.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,003,064 times
I understand people's frustration with Mad Men keeping Vietnam, civil rights, women's lib, etc. in the background. Mad Men is a great show but it could have been a real classic if it had delved a little deeper into these social upheavals that affected and changed so many people at the time.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,738,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I guess having the IBM 360 in there gives the audience a kind of perspective on how computers have changed over the last 50 years, the 360 occupied a whole room in an office yet it only had the fraction of speed and memory that today's little tablets have. But that's the only reason, because what use does an ad agency have with a computer?
And I would imagine that they would have to install a good air conditioning system. I'm waiting for the jokes when the characters walk into that room and they are freezing their tails off.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,622,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I understand people's frustration with Mad Men keeping Vietnam, civil rights, women's lib, etc. in the background. Mad Men is a great show but it could have been a real classic if it had delved a little deeper into these social upheavals that affected and changed so many people at the time.

I don't understand it. We've been beat over the head with images of the late 60's for the last 40 years.

What angle could they bring to Vietnam or Woodstock that we haven't seen before?

We're actually seeing an angle of the 60's we've never seen. That not everyone wore flowers in their hair..That even during the radical 60's, the Don Draper's of the world weren't all that affected by the "social upheavals". That's what I like about the show. I'm burned out on the (obvious examples) of 60's nostalgia.

For everyone else there's 'The Wonder Years'.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 PM

They haven't gotten into busing yet either. I'm waiting for Betty to have a fit when the kids from "across the tracks" get bussed into Bobby's school.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,003,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
They haven't gotten into busing yet either. I'm waiting for Betty to have a fit when the kids from "across the tracks" get bussed into Bobby's school.
I don't think busing was legally instituted until the 70s.

But yea I would've loved to have seen Betty's reaction to that too. When Mad Men ends somebody needs to pick up where it leaves off and do a 70s version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
IWe're actually seeing an angle of the 60's we've never seen. That not everyone wore flowers in their hair..That even during the radical 60's, the Don Draper's of the world weren't all that affected by the "social upheavals". That's what I like about the show. I'm burned out on the (obvious examples) of 60's nostalgia.
That's a good point. I think Weiner had said something similar, that he wanted to show the other side of life in the 60s - the people who just got up and went to work while all this flower-power stuff was going on outside their window.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I don't understand it. We've been beat over the head with images of the late 60's for the last 40 years.

What angle could they bring to Vietnam or Woodstock that we haven't seen before?

We're actually seeing an angle of the 60's we've never seen. That not everyone wore flowers in their hair..That even during the radical 60's, the Don Draper's of the world weren't all that affected by the "social upheavals". That's what I like about the show. I'm burned out on the (obvious examples) of 60's nostalgia.

I agree with you. I think they are keeping just the right balance. Most people in real life are primarily concerned with what is going on in their own backyard. If you were living in NYC at the time, Kent State was something that happened on TV, but Columbia sit-ins were something that may have affected and inconvenienced your quality of life. I realize that Mad Men is geared for a national audience, but there was so much stuff going on in NYC at that time - Black Panthers, the Ocean Hill-Brownsville Teacher strike of 1968 which shut down the largest school district in the US for 4 months because of racial conflicts, the other threats by various unions to strike throughout the 60s, Robert Moses who changed the landscape of NYC forever, the increase of crime in NYC during the late 60s, increased building of public housing projects which also changed NYC. Mad Men covered the Blackout of '66, but never mentioned the 12 day transit strike during the same year which brought Madison Ave. and every other business to a standstill. The 17 day sanitation strike in '68 was omitted as well. These were big, big stories during that time, when John Lindsay was mayor of Fun City.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:20 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
Quote:

Or Forrest Gump.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:24 PM

Renault, yeah there were busing issues by that time in NYC, even if on a smaller scale than Boston. The genie came out of the bottle with the Ocean Hll Brownsville strike regarding racial tensions. I remember when they started to bus some kids from Edgemere and Hammels to a school in Neponsit. The white parents held all kinds of protests and lost. The NYC schools were very overcrowded at that time. Junior and Senior high schools were running triple sessions. To alleviate some of this overcrowding, kids were being bussed out of some of their neighborhood schools, which meant that kids from that "undesirable" area were being sent into predominantly white schools. There was also a teacher shortage. Anyone who had any kind of college degree could apply for a NYC emergency teacher license. NYC had it's own separate teacher licenses from the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV