Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 10:44 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,180,256 times

Advertisements

OK - so maybe I remembered the details incorrectly, but my point still stands: I.e., Lane tried to get Don to take the fall for something fraudulent that Lane himself did. And, if Don hadn't called Lane on this, Don would have gotten in trouble for that check - which he didn't actually write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:15 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,175,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
OK - so maybe I remembered the details incorrectly, but my point still stands: I.e., Lane tried to get Don to take the fall for something fraudulent that Lane himself did. And, if Don hadn't called Lane on this, Don would have gotten in trouble for that check - which he didn't actually write.
Afraid not. At no point was Lane trying to make any trouble for Don. His hope was that the forgery would go undetected because he would have paid back the "loan" before. There was never any fall for Don to take, Lane knew that if the check was brought to Don's attention he would immediately deny having signed it. And since it was made out to Lane, the identity of the forger would be instantly known. And that is exactly what happened.

Lane's scheme depended upon not being caught, it did not depend on Don taking the fall for anything.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Afraid not. At no point was Lane trying to make any trouble for Don. His hope was that the forgery would go undetected because he would have paid back the "loan" before. There was never any fall for Don to take, Lane knew that if the check was brought to Don's attention he would immediately deny having signed it. And since it was made out to Lane, the identity of the forger would be instantly known. And that is exactly what happened.

Lane's scheme depended upon not being caught, it did not depend on Don taking the fall for anything.
I disagree with this completely. I don't know about you, but I would definitely be upset if someone tried to forge my signature on a check - that's a criminal offense right there.

I remember the scene well - when Don called Lane out on this, he wanted to avoid embarrassment & did so behind closed doors - he treated Lane with a lot more respect than Lane treated him. And, if Don hadn't been around to deny that he had written the check, it would have looked like he had written it - and there would have been negative repercussions for Don as a result.

Lane was a pathetic character, but a lot of this was due to his own actions.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 06-07-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I disagree with this completely. I don't know about you, but I would definitely be upset if someone tried to forge my signature on a check - that's a criminal offense right there.

I remember the scene well - when Don called Lane out on this, he wanted to avoid embarrassment & did so behind closed doors - he treated Lane with a lot more respect than Lane treated him. And, if Don hadn't been around to deny that he had written the check, it would have looked like he had written it - and there would have been negative repercussions for Don as a result.

Lane was a pathetic character, but a lot of this was due to his own actions.
Are you reading what I am writing? You do not seem to be comprehending if you are.

One last attempt....There was never even a slight chance that Don was going to get into any trouble as a consequence of Lane's forgery. lane was not trying to frame Don, blackmail Don, make Don appear to have stolen money.....none of those things. Lane's entire scheme was predicated upon it going undetected until he had managed to pay back the money he was stealing.

The moment the check was brought to Don's attention, Lane's plan was up in smoke. Lane knew that Don would deny signing the check, and since the check was made out to Lane, what could Lane say? That, "no, Don, you did sign it?" Then Lane would be asked what the check was for if Don signed it and...what could he say?

Lane was guilty of fraud and embezzlement, he was not guilty of trying to frame Don for anything. He was not trying to make people think that Don had stolen the money, it was instantly obvious that he did not.

So of course Don was upset, he discovered that one of his partners was stealing from the firm...but that isn't what I was arguing, was it? You wrote that you didn't like Lane because he was "trying to frame Don" and I have been trying to get you to understand that there was no attempt to frame anyone.

Hate Lane if you like, but do it for the right reasons.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:49 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,495,525 times
Quote:
Are you reading what I am writing? You do not seem to be comprehending if you are.

One last attempt....There was never even a slight chance that Don was going to get into any trouble as a consequence of Lane's forgery. lane was not trying to frame Don, blackmail Don, make Don appear to have stolen money.....none of those things. Lane's entire scheme was predicated upon it going undetected until he had managed to pay back the money he was stealing.

The moment the check was brought to Don's attention, Lane's plan was up in smoke. Lane knew that Don would deny signing the check, and since the check was made out to Lane, what could Lane say? That, "no, Don, you did sign it?" Then Lane would be asked what the check was for if Don signed it and...what could he say?

Lane was guilty of fraud and embezzlement, he was not guilty of trying to frame Don for anything. He was not trying to make people think that Don had stolen the money, it was instantly obvious that he did not.

So of course Don was upset, he discovered that one of his partners was stealing from the firm...but that isn't what I was arguing, was it? You wrote that you didn't like Lane because he was "trying to frame Don" and I have been trying to get you to understand that there was no attempt to frame anyone.

Hate Lane if you like, but do it for the right reasons.
Lane was not intentionally trying to frame Don. But by forging Don's name on a check, he makes Don guilty by association. Should Don not act, and the forgery baca men known, it makes Don complicit to the action and jeapordizes his position.

Don had no choice other than what he did.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Lane was not intentionally trying to frame Don. But by forging Don's name on a check, he makes Don guilty by association. Should Don not act, and the forgery baca men known, it makes Don complicit to the action and jeapordizes his position.

Don becomes the victim of a crime in the above circumstances, not complicit. Do you not understand that there was never any sort of hope on Lane's part that anyone would have believed that Don was conspiring with Lane to defraud the firm? It was a scheme which had to remain undetected to work. It was detected and immediately failed.

Don was never, ever, not even for one second, "guilty by association." If exposed, as it was, Lane's plan was as transparent as a kid forging a parent's name on a report card.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

Agree with this 100%. Let's say that Don hadn't been around to have caught the forgery. Then, he couldn't have defended himself and there's a good chance he would have gotten in deep trouble as result. Sure, he was around to catch the scam but he very easily may not have been.

Some people may very well have believed that Don signed the check. Sure, some may have thought he didn't do it, but if Lane did a good enough job forging his name (which it appears he did), Don may have looked guilty.

Lane's actions in forging the check with Don's signature were reprehensible - but, I do agree they weren't as bad as the other crap he pulled.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 06-15-2016 at 09:09 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 AM

14,430 posts, read 14,355,859 times
Quote:
Don becomes the victim of a crime in the above circumstances, not complicit. Do you not understand that there was never any sort of hope on Lane's part that anyone would have believed that Don was conspiring with Lane to defraud the firm? It was a scheme which had to remain undetected to work. It was detected and immediately failed.

Don was never, ever, not even for one second, "guilty by association." If exposed, as it was, Lane's plan was as transparent as a kid forging a parent's name on a report card.
As I recall, it was Burt Cooper who brought the check to Don's attention. Burt assumed it was Don's check and didn't realize Lane had forged his signature. It put Don in a very uncomfortable situation.

I admit what happened between Don and Lane was a situation that calls for much soul-searching. Did Don have other options? Was Lane entirely to blame for what happened?

Lane didn't simply do one thing wrong. He made a series of errors:

1. First, he got into personal financial difficulties that he should have tried to avoid.

2. He failed to simply ask Don or one of the other partners for a personal loan.

3. He stole money from the partnership.

4. He forged Don's name on a check.

Don seems to imply in the scene where he confronts Lane and demands his resignation that perhaps if he had stolen the money without forging Don's name on the check, some other course of action could have been considered. However, the cumulative effect of all of his actions made it impossible for him to remain a partner at Sterling, Cooper, Draper & Price. It was not simply a question of money being taken. It was a question of trust. Lane was the firm's financial officer and he could hardly be left in charge of money after what had occurred.

It was a very painful situation. I concluded that as difficult a situation as it was that Don really had no alternative in this situation. He tried to act in a way that caused as little difficulty for Lane as possible.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:04 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,738,307 times
I just read somewhere that Barry Livingston appeared in a few episodes. Does anyone recall which episodes and what character he portrayed?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I just read somewhere that Barry Livingston appeared in a few episodes. Does anyone recall which episodes and what character he portrayed?
He had a very minor role as Duane Davis, a member of Sal's art department in the first season. When one of the switchboard operators is attracted to Sal, she makes up an excuse to go to the art department and there she meets Duane whom she ignores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV