Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:34 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,605,914 times

Advertisements

The idea that young people only want to see young people strikes me as kind of dopey/cliche anyway. I think there are several older entertainers young people embrace and plenty of younger entertainers that irritate the stuffing out of the youth.

Fringe looks to be fairly popular with younger viewers and it's largely known for "Walter" (John Noble) who is 62 and does have a movie link by being in Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Hugh Laurie I think is still at least somewhat popular with younger viewers and is late middle-aged at 51. Ian McKellen and Betty White I think still have some popularity with young people. Even the young jerks I knew in High School I think thought some older people were funny and interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,397,791 times
The hosts did okay. I appreciated that we didn't have long-winded tributes. Too many of these shows get bogged down, especially the Oscars, but it didn't last night. Yes, I wish Bill Crystal or someone else was hosting, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I thought the children had wonderful harmony and who can resist "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" anyway, especially when the winners come out holding their trophies and seem so excited.

The highlight, for me, was Mr. Douglas. He's a self-made man that came from nothing and worked hard throughout his career. He's also had to deal with being very elderly, illness and a huge health scare regarding his son. He's 94 but I took such delight in his sheer pleasure to once again command an audience and actually be funny despite his obvious disability. I understood every word and laughed while I cried.

Melissa Leo was perfect with him. I loved how she bowed to him when she came on stage and then continued to play off of him. He was delighted. It was nice to see Miss Hathaway so honored to be told by Kirk Douglas that she was beautiful, too.

May everyone receive a patient ear if they live to be that long.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:27 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,150,704 times
Yes I was thrilled to see Kirk douglass as well. Yes Melissa Leo was very gracious to him and love how she reacted as well as Miss Hathaway . I think both those ladies should thank their lucky stars that a man like Kirk Douglass noticed them .

Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,382,844 times
I feel really sorry for James Franco, who I believe is a really talented actor. I'm not sure if it was the writing or him but it just didn't work. I hope it doesn't hurt his career. I disagree with the earlier poster in that I think there is a reason the past hosts have always been comedians and in my opinion always should be. Comedians learn timing and how to ad lib when the jokes aren't working with a particular crowd. I know Hollywood is all about reaching young viewers these days but I think the demographics for watching the Oscars are older than for going to the movies. I have always looked forward to the Oscars as a show not just seeing who wins what and there was none of that this year. I would rather see them cut out more categories than continually cut people off in their acceptance speeches so all we hear now are a quickly read or memorized list of persons to be thanked. Also, the advertisements at the bottom of the screen were obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV