Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:07 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,284,255 times

Advertisements

I agree with everybody's comments. Sorry to see Jess go. If the show is about showing improvement, then Jess and Tadd are the most improved. I predicted Caitlyn and Ricky. IMHO, Jordan is better than Caitlyn. The voters obviously didn't like the judges criticism of Caitlyn and Ricky and came to their defense. I appreciated the Sasha/Melanie routine, but more for the girl's strength and athleticism than the choreography. The number didn't flow. Is it me, or does it seem that Melanie, a contemporary dancer, has been give more routines in her genre than some of the others?
I don't care who wins, I'm just enjoying the great performances.

Lady Gaga was a great judge, and for me no surprise. Finally someone criticized the choreographers instead of continually blaming the dancers. I didn't get Gaga's comment about Caitlyn's hands, but a poster on another forum said these are called "jazz" hands. I have been defending Lady Gaga to friends and family since her interview (I think MTV) a while ago and after listening to her sing acoustically. She was articulate, intelligent and came across as a very nice person in the interview. She was conservatively dressed, not in costume. HBO ran her Monster Ball Tour: Madison Square Garden and we really enjoyed. Lady Gaga's dancers back her up during a performance instead of leaping all over the stage like the Black Eyed Peas and Usher. I have both her albums.

Jazz Hands (wiki definition)
... in performance dance is the extension of a performer's hands with palms toward the audience and fingers splayed. It is commonly associated with especially exuberant types of performance such as musicals, cheerleading, show choir, revue, and especially jazz dance shows.[citation needed] In cheerleading, the position with arms outstretched and fingers wiggling up and down is sometimes referred to as spirit fingers.[citation needed] Depending on the performance venue, both gestures can be associated with campiness.[1]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:59 AM

253 posts, read 202,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Melanie is the short hair girl and she's in my top 2, to me she looks like Ginnifer Goodwin from Big Love. Sasha is my other fave, she is an amazing dancer and ridiculously beautiful, not many women can look stunning with a mohawk.
Oh yeah, she totally looks like Ginnifer. I like Jordan & Sasha as well. I haven't been following the show very often this year, I'm going to have to go online & watch a couple past weeks including this one.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,063,775 times
Im rooting for the short haired girl and the mowhawk haired girl to win. Short haired girl is so sweet and beautiful and mowhawk chick and just flat out good. One of the two should win.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,223,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
As far as Lady Gaga goes--up until Wednesday night I had zip respect for the lady. After actually being able to hear her as a person and not just watching her perform I have gained a new respect for her. She seems pretty darn smart. She can sing and perform very well but her acts always turned me off and she seemed so out there but I am better understanding it is her "act" and not her. This was a good eye-opener for me. Now I understand her popularity. She is still odd but not stupid by any means! I also respect the fact that she is not afraid to say what she thinks!! Yeah, I actually like her now.
I'm glad to hear people responded to lady Gaga, there was a thread awhile back bashing her, and I totally disagreed because I had seen her do interviews, and she is clearly intelligent, has real talent, and she also refuses to lip sync. It's hard for any woman who is anything less than stunningly beautiful to make it in music, the fact that she is on top right now means a lot. I understand not appreciating Gaga, everyone has different taste, but I don't understand calling her stupid, useless, or untalented which many on that thread did.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:25 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,223,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Im rooting for the short haired girl and the mowhawk haired girl to win. Short haired girl is so sweet and beautiful and mowhawk chick and just flat out good. One of the two should win.
I think those two will be in the top three, I think Marko might be up there with them. I love both Sasha and Melanie. Whenever they pan to Melanie's mom it makes me like her even more because you can see that her sweetness and genuineness is real, she inherited from her mother. Sasha seems to have a great personality as well, I'd be happy if either won. I have to admit I missed a lot of Marko because I couldn't take my eyes off Melanie when they were partners, but seeing him now, I get that he is great too.

I thought Jordan should have stayed and Caitlyn gone, but it sounded like they just went with the vote, and I imagine Jordan is a little too sexy for some voters. I agreed with Jesse going. At this point it's not all that important, going on tour is worth more than any amount of money to dancers, the top ten have already won a dream job. I'm curious if they will bring Ryan and Alex, they usually bring the top 12 so there will be understudies, but they didn't seem to be very popular with the public.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:05 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,910,686 times
Who is the guest judge next week?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,284,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Who is the guest judge next week?
Christina Applegate and Lil' C. Pia Toscano from AI wii promote her new single. Btw - I thought the guest dance group was fantastic this week.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,910,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Christina Applegate and Lil' C. Pia Toscano from AI wii promote her new single. Btw - I thought the guest dance group was fantastic this week.
Why Christina Applegate??? Oh wait, she has that new show to promote. I'd like to see one of the judges from Dancing With The Stars guests judge one week. It would be interesting to have Carrie Anne or Bruno up on the panel. Imagine Bruno and Mary Murphy sitting next to each other trying to out shout each other.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:10 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,395,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
No kidding! That guest dancing group was really awsome. They didn't miss a beat. I couldn't stop watching them! Very nice.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,273,824 times
At the risk of turning this into a Lady Gaga thread, I have never thought she was anything but smart. That doesn't mean I'm a big fan of hers, although I think she is talented. The act and costumes are just too distracting, and it isn't my style of music. But I'm sure she couldn't care less what a 65-year-old guy thinks.

I like the show much better than the celebrity-laden Dancing with the Stars. I can only hope it doesn't get to be too congested with celebrity turns itself. It should be an hour-long show of pure dancing, IMO. Two hours is overkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV