Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:37 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,300,958 times

Advertisements

On the Science Channel as we speak. Woot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 12:42 PM

23,020 posts, read 28,498,766 times
I was so excited about this show when I first heard about it. I watched it when it originally aired and thought it was a complete misfire. Such great potential that never once worked.

I tried watching them again on Netflix, hoping I'd been wrong the first time. I wasn't.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,282,193 times
Well Mark there is always one dissenter. And they always have to tell you about it.

This has got to be my favorite and most mourned tv series ever. And I've been watching TV for a long time. Tons of others agree.

Been watching for the last few hours.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM

One of the reasons it "misfired" was Fox decided to show it out of sequence. It's a shame it wasn't given a fair chance-I think Firefly is one of the best Sci-Fi stories out there.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:45 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,339,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I think Firefly is one of the best Sci-Fi stories out there.
I really liked everything about it -- especially the world-building in general -- and I think it's a dirty rotten shame that it didn't get more support from Fox.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:21 AM

198 posts, read 423,005 times
dvrd the whole marathon and watched the first 2 hr one last night. missed it first go round when it was shown out of sequence and with some episodes missing. think i will really enjoy it. probably watch another couple episodes tonight.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 PM

39,955 posts, read 26,704,733 times
I did my own marathon a few weeks ago, off netflicks. Love the show, can't believe I missed it when it first aired. I saw an advertisement for a new movie that looks like it follows a bit of the same theme, Cowboys vs Aliens. Might be dumb as hell.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:02 PM

23,020 posts, read 28,498,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I really liked everything about it -- especially the world-building in general -- and I think it's a dirty rotten shame that it didn't get more support from Fox.
Browncoats blame Fox for killing this show, but the plain fact remains the show failed to find a sizeable audience. A show with low ratings can't sell ad revenue, which means the network loses money. It's a sad fact of TV. A lot of quality shows don't make it.

As for Firefly, I think it was the world-building that disappointed me more than anything. When I first heard about the show, I thought it was a brilliant concept: science fiction inspired by the Reconstruction Era/Old West. But Whedon forgot the change the furniture. By that I mean...

You can take the concept of one genre and use it in another. The Godfather is a great example. The Godfather is basically medieval politics: The dying king must choose which prince shall inherit the throne. But his eldest is weak. The next in line is a brute ruled by his emotions. And the baby, the one who is most suited to rule, is the one prince who doesn't want the job. But imagine if Luca Brasi rode in on his destrier, walked into the Don's office wearing a suit of armor, and said, "Verily Don Corleone, I pray thy daughter shalt surely have a masculine heir to thy throne." You would have rolled your eyes. I rolled my eyes a lot watching Firefly.

I can buy the idea that future colonists might go back to using horses and wagons on other planets. Lack of resources and all that. Ok. But for a society hundreds of years in the future to build wagons that looked exactly like 19th century wagons? Ladies to wear 19th century dresses and bonnets? The hero even wore a freakin duster. C'mon. That's not creativity. That's Fox raiding the old Little House on the Prairie sets for costumes.

And the sci-fi choo-choo train! Oy. That was MST3K fodder.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,282,193 times
So all shows that are cancelled deserve to be cancelled and all shows that succeed do show because tons of people watch. No one ever makes a mistake, the timing for find an audience is always the same, marketing doesn't matter.
Whatever dude. We love the show.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Browncoats blame Fox for killing this show, but the plain fact remains the show failed to find a sizeable audience. A show with low ratings can't sell ad revenue, which means the network loses money. It's a sad fact of TV. A lot of quality shows don't make it.

As for Firefly, I think it was the world-building that disappointed me more than anything. When I first heard about the show, I thought it was a brilliant concept: science fiction inspired by the Reconstruction Era/Old West. But Whedon forgot the change the furniture. By that I mean...

You can take the concept of one genre and use it in another. The Godfather is a great example. The Godfather is basically medieval politics: The dying king must choose which prince shall inherit the throne. But his eldest is weak. The next in line is a brute ruled by his emotions. And the baby, the one who is most suited to rule, is the one prince who doesn't want the job. But imagine if Luca Brasi rode in on his destrier, walked into the Don's office wearing a suit of armor, and said, "Verily Don Corleone, I pray thy daughter shalt surely have a masculine heir to thy throne." You would have rolled your eyes. I rolled my eyes a lot watching Firefly.

I can buy the idea that future colonists might go back to using horses and wagons on other planets. Lack of resources and all that. Ok. But for a society hundreds of years in the future to build wagons that looked exactly like 19th century wagons? Ladies to wear 19th century dresses and bonnets? The hero even wore a freakin duster. C'mon. That's not creativity. That's Fox raiding the old Little House on the Prairie sets for costumes.

And the sci-fi choo-choo train! Oy. That was MST3K fodder.
Not too many shows get a full length movie (Serenity) made after their demise, especially after only one season. No, it's cancellation was all on Fox, it's too bad Whedon didn't go with a better network or a cable channel.

I personally like the blending of western and sci-fi genres. Besides, I'm not as obsessed with costume design as I am with a good plot and talented acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV