Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:26 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times

Advertisements

What do you think about news shows giving previews of what they will be reporting? Or, the weather forecaster doing the same?

Example: "Will the earth be destroyed next week? Our story coming up on the 5 o'clock news!!" or, "Will a hurricane wipe out the entire state of Florida? Stay tuned!!!"

And if you are interested in hearing about the earth being destroyed or the hurricane, don't hold your breath because the story will not be aired right after the commercial. You can go out and mow the yard or find something else to do and then come back during the last few minutes of the show and hear the story. But, at each commercial they will dangle the carrot and tell you that the "story of the century" is next.

Why not just give the news and stop with all the previews and teasers to try and keep you from changing the channel? I realize that all the news shows are in competition with each other, but geez...give us a break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 06:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
I find it infuriating and it's precious time which could actually be spent on News. I also object to speculative News. It's not News until it has happened so let's just stick to the facts.
Our News here in the UK are becoming more and more celebrity and sport obsessed and that too drives me wild.
What happened to investigative journalism rather than sensationalism. I want News not moronic trivia or complete and utter drivel about what may or may not happen.
In this age of modern technology and multi-media we should be the most informed we have ever been but instead I feel manipulated by greed for ratings, sponsors and money.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:03 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Why not just give the news and stop with all the previews and teasers to try and keep you from changing the channel? I realize that all the news shows are in competition with each other, but geez...give us a break!
One of the networks (CBS) here in Chicago several years back tried doing a straightforward, no frills 10PM newscast as an experiment. None of the "hype" stories, cross promotions, flashy graphics, cheesy music and sets, pieces about panda bears, etc. It was subdued, serious, and in depth. The program won critical acclaim for breaking from the mold and picked up an Emmy, but was still canceled after a short run due to ratings. Turns out people still want to be entertained more than informed.

Thankfully, we still have the outstanding "Chicago Tonight" on WTTW/PBS.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
It's a waste of time, when they could be reporting more news, or reporting the news with more depth.

What really infuriates me, though, is when the TV news pimps the upcoming network shows, or bases one of its stories around in issue on an upcoming/recently aired network drama. Makes me want to infiltrate the TV station and take no prisoners, LOL.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:09 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times
You can read about that WBBM/CBS experiment here:
NewsLab Articles: A Newscast Featuring Real News

Old 08-24-2007, 01:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Thank you for sharing that, Chicago.
I wonder if they could try again? Just make a couple-few changes?
I basically only watch the Daily Show or Colbert Report anymore.
If my husband was not such a couch potato when he comes home, I'd probably never see much TV, let alone TV news, at all.
I hate those promo things and learned long ago what a waste of time they are.
I hate how the news is now, period.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:18 PM

Great input....thanks! And thanks Chicago for the link to the article about a "real" news show. I would rate it A+++, but then I don't need to be entertained.

I'm with all of you...just the facts m'am!

Old 08-25-2007, 12:59 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
That's the very reason why I get my news from the internet, or the old fashioned way - I read the newspaper. I don't enjoy being teased or lied to.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:10 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,733 times
This is so true, and almost comical at times. For instance...

At 6:30pm: Breaking news, ebola virus found in local restaurant. Was it where you went for dinner? Find out at 10!

Old 08-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
This is so true, and almost comical at times. For instance...

At 6:30pm: Breaking news, ebola virus found in local restaurant. Was it where you went for dinner? Find out at 10!
LOL!!! Yes! I detest that too! I live in an area with lousy winters, and every Fall one of our local yokal weather guys will say the same thing: "Coming up next, my forecast for the coming winter season. Will this be the worst winter in our city's history??? Stay tuned to find out how you can save your family from disaster this winter!!!" ..... not exactly verbatim, but close enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV