Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times

Advertisements

I cut and pasted the TV nominations from a list. I was surprised. I've not watched almost any of these and I'm sort of a TVholic. I edited out all the producers, some are HBO and a few Shotime which I'm not surscribed to, but most of these are available to me. I've never even heard of BOSS? The Hour?

So while I watched a few of the nominees its hard to know who i would root for since I've seen so few of them and honestly probably will never watch which makes me wonder. A few I will at least investigate.

I watched some of Mildred Pierce and thought it very good and will probably go back and watch the whole thing sometime. Love Downton Abbey and its performers. Really liked Hung for which Thomas Jane has a nomination, I think he did a very credible job with an unusual story line.

One nomination I believe whole heartedly should win whether I've seen the other nominees to compare with or not and that is Idris Alba in Luther. That is the greatest show, love it. I think the show should have a nomination, not just Alba.

BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

AMERICAN HORROR STORY
BOARDWALK EMPIRE
Leverage,
BOSS
GAME OF THRONES
HOMELAND

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

CLAIRE DANES HOMELAND
MIREILLE ENOS THE KILLING
JULIANNA MARGULIES THE GOOD WIFE
MADELEINE STOWE REVENGE
CALLIE THORNE NECESSARY ROUGHNESS

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

STEVE BUSCEMI BOARDWALK EMPIRE
BRYAN CRANSTON BREAKING BAD
KELSEY GRAMMER BOSS
JEREMY IRONS THE BORGIAS
DAMIAN LEWIS HOMELAND

BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

ENLIGHTENED
EPISODES
GLEE
MODERN FAMILY
NEW GIRL

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES –COMEDY OR MUSICAL

LAURA DERN ENLIGHTENED
ZOOEY DESCHANEL NEW GIRL
TINA FEY 30 ROCK
LAURA LINNEY THE BIG C
AMY POEHLER PARKS AND RECREATION

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

ALEC BALDWIN 30 ROCK
DAVID DUCHOVNY CALIFORNICATION
JOHNNY GALECKI THE BIG BANG THEORY
THOMAS JANE HUNG
MATT LEBLANC EPISODES

BEST MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

CINEMA VERITE
DOWNTON ABBEY (MASTERPIECE) (PBS)
THE HOUR (BBC AMERICA)
MILDRED PIERCE (HBO)
TOO BIG TO FAIL (HBO)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

ROMOLA GARAI THE HOUR
DIANE LANE CINEMA VERITE
ELIZABETH MCGOVERN DOWNTON ABBEY (MASTERPIECE)
EMILY WATSON APPROPRIATE ADULT
KATE WINSLET MILDRED PIERCE

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

HUGH BONNEVILLE DOWNTON ABBEY (MASTERPIECE)
IDRIS ELBA LUTHER
WILLIAM HURT TOO BIG TO FAIL
BILL NIGHY PAGE EIGHT (MASTERPIECE)
DOMINIC WEST THE HOUR

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

JESSICA LANGE AMERICAN HORROR STORY
KELLY MACDONALD BOARDWALK EMPIRE
MAGGIE SMITH DOWNTON ABBEY (MASTERPIECE)
SOFIA VERGARA MODERN FAMILY
EVAN RACHEL WOOD MILDRED PIERCE

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

PETER DINKLAGE GAME OF THRONES
PAUL GIAMATTI TOO BIG TO FAIL
GUY PEARCE MILDRED PIERCE
TIM ROBBINS CINEMA VERITE
ERIC STONESTREET MODERN FAMILY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times
I haven't personally watched most of these shows, but I ALWAYS enjoy watching the Golden Globes -- and especially the red carpet leading up to it. Looking forward to what Ricky Gervais might have to say too. That ought to liven up the more boring moments!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
My tastes aren't really in sync with the Golden Globes (Glee? Seriously?), but I'd like to see Downton Abbey come away with a few awards, should make the speeches more bearable.

And for my dark horse - David Duchovny in a relatively weak category this year.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Love the Golden Globes, much more laid back. It is almost unfair that the pay for channels are not separated from the others. They actors have more range of acting they can do without having to edit out so much.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM

Watching now, love Christopher Plummer so I'm happy he won though I hadn't seen all the entries. I had actually seen Beginners (got a McGregor thing going on Viggo Morgenson (sp) was nominated, I will track down whatever he was in, he's so good.
Not a fan of Elle McPherson's dress.
Woo first win for Downton Abbey.
Ok well I can't blog the whole thing though it would be fun.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:57 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Madonnas fake English accent on display tonight.

***** you're from DE-troit. Get over yourself!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times
Giesela, I agree with you about Elle McPherson's dress. Also agree with you, Lucky Gem, about Madonna's fake English accent. Who is she kidding? Hated her dress too!

Who were your favorites on the Red Carpet? For me Charlize Theron and Jessica Alba had gorgeous gowns. I liked everything about Nicole Richie -- the dress, the hair, the bag. Reese Witherspoon looked great with her loose waves and that red dress. Loved Salma Hayek's gown too, and the back only of Clare Danes' gown.

I thought George Clooney and Leonardo DiCaprio looked fantastic in their tuxes. Missed some of the other hunks. Saw Brad Pitt. The tux looked good, but he's starting to look old, and I hate him with the long, stringy hair.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 PM

Not that many dresses that I really liked a lot a lot. No real stinkers, just nothing I loved except Nichole Kidman's stood out. Different, structured, flattering, interesting, overall beautiful styling and look.
Madge has been living over there for quite awhile. I didin't think her accent was more noticeable than something she might pick up.
Ok Clair Danes dress is probably supposed to be tailored like that at the neck - which is too bad because it just looks like a botched job or something. I think her dress is pretty bad, didn't catch the back.
Margiales? with the purple sheath thing, um. It looked good then I thought, looks like a purple leotard.
Poehler - I don't think I've ever seen her in a truly flattering dress.
Agree about Reese, blonds and red look great and she doesn't wear her hair down that often. Life must be agreeing with her.
Jolie, white satin not my particular favorite but it was impeccably cut and tailored and spotless and a very nice dress.

OMG - I love love Thomas Jane - who let him wear that hat!!!!! He needs to fire his stylist or publicist or someone.
Matt Leblanc for the win? Scratching my head over that one but I don't have Shotime.
Dark blue tuxes.

Morgan Freeman, good actor but I just can't get excited about him after the rumors about him and his step grandaughter.

Clooney and not DiCaprio? Seriously? "Ooo Clooney looks like a real person in Descendants - what a stretch, lets give him the award over DiCaprio's tortured characterization of a complex and iconic figure. Wow, what a slap in the face.

Last edited by Giesela; 01-15-2012 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,693,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Madonnas fake English accent on display tonight.

***** you're from DE-troit. Get over yourself!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
They sure got it right with Homeland for the winner and also Claire Danes.
It would be well worth it to get Showtime just for Homeland, they usually have it for $10.00 for the first 6 months and my package has it on On Demand. You could get it, watch Homeland and then cancel.
It is SO good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV