Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 04:36 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Why exactly did Connie Britton leave? Did the Coen Brothers, Martin Scorsese or Ridley Scott offer her an academy award winning movie role? Or did the Grand Ole Opry induct her? When the show premiered In 2012 she was earning $100,000 per episode. I looked through her theatrical work and unless she is needed at home or with her Ambassador job it seems she had a pretty good deal with Nashville.

I hope the rest of the characters can carry the show. I like Avery, Bucky and most of them. Scarlett is a drama queen and Juliette brings variety one never knows if she is going to be good, bad or conniving. I have no opinion of Maddie perhaps her part is just to be a typical wild teenager. The males Deacon, Gunnar and Will fall in the wuss category.
I don't think it was a question of money, but of wanting different opportunities than a full five years of playing the role of Rayna Jaymes would allow. Connie Britton did offer to make additional occasional appearances, but evidently the writers and directors were unable to come up with a believable scenario which would allow Rayna to be absent from her family as much as this would require. So - bye-bye, Rayna.

I disagree. I think the writers could have sent an injured but surviving Rayna off to a specialized hospital rehab and made do with Skype and phone calls, plus an occasional flying visit from Deacon and the girls. Season finale - and ideally, the end of the series - could be a successful homecoming by a fully recovered Rayna, with a CMA welcome or Opry appearance. Toss in the release of the duo album with Deacon, and all ends well, at least for Rayna and her immediate family.

Juliette and Avery seem to be settling down, Scarlett needs a common-sense transplant that will finally reconnect her with Gunnar, Will needs a stable relationship that is mutual, Maddie can find another, younger and stable boyfriend, Daphne can go on her first date with the young man she's interested in...and the rest of the cast can find similar satisfying but realistic solutions to whatever issues face them.

Happy is good. Happy is much-needed these days. "Nashville" had the potential to provide its fans and viewers with a great deal of happy - but blew that opportunity bigly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 12:06 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
^^^ From what I hear, it's likely get soapier still. Just about every soap opera stereotype except for perhaps amnesia will make an appearance.

SPOILERS: Maybe, that is, as what's below is rumor:

Do all young teens need to be rebellious, to the point of running away? Do all young women involved in an ill-advised fling have to get pregnant and not be certain who's the father? Do all young men who engage in an ill-advised seduction have to abscond when various emotional and physical complications result?

Good grief.
Well, I assume you're talking about Maddie...BUT, they did have that "first period" storyline with the younger girl. Right at the same time she's getting a love interest -- what a coinky-dink.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, I assume you're talking about Maddie...BUT, they did have that "first period" storyline with the younger girl. Right at the same time she's getting a love interest -- what a coinky-dink.
Actually, I was referring to three different characters - but you'll need to watch the second half to figure out just who gets into which predicament. Either that, or read spoilers, which is how I learned a little about what's said to lie ahead. I could be quite mistaken. Time will tell.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:27 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,767,312 times
I watched the new episode this morning. I have to say except for the tired stalker storyline, I've liked the writing. This episode was no exception. As was last week's The Rayna tribute was well done and this week's completion of the album was as well. I found myself tearing up again seeing everyone come together to finish what Rayna and Deacon started. Not to mention seeing Deacon's pain and what looked to me the beginning of his healing. I still have questions about whether or not the show can go on without Connie as the lead but we'll see.

On another note, when it comes to soaps the one thing I hated more than love triangles were pregnancy triangles. And once again the writers have given us one. Am I the only one shocked at how seemingly careless Scarlett looks to have gotten. Unprotected sex with Gunnar and a guy she barely knows? Seriously?
This is gonna turn into baby daddy episode of Maury Povich

Old 03-12-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesG73 View Post
I watched the new episode this morning. I have to say except for the tired stalker storyline, I've liked the writing. This episode was no exception. As was last week's The Rayna tribute was well done and this week's completion of the album was as well. I found myself tearing up again seeing everyone come together to finish what Rayna and Deacon started. Not to mention seeing Deacon's pain and what looked to me the beginning of his healing. I still have questions about whether or not the show can go on without Connie as the lead but we'll see.

On another note, when it comes to soaps the one thing I hated more than love triangles were pregnancy triangles. And once again the writers have given us one. Am I the only one shocked at how seemingly careless Scarlett looks to have gotten. Unprotected sex with Gunnar and a guy she barely knows? Seriously?
This is gonna turn into baby daddy episode of Maury Povich
Yeah, I'd heard that Scarlett was going to turn up pregnant, but thought that might be a red herring for a Maddie pregnancy. Maddie's sudden nausea at the hospital when she first saw her mother seemed to indicate this possibility. But perhaps that was too much even for "Nashville", which is certainly not the series it started out to be this season - much less five years ago (can it be that long already??).

I generally liked the way the last episode was handled, but there were a couple of really out of character scenes for both Scarlett - the one noted above - and Juliette. While Juliette was supportive and understanding of an overwhelmed Maddie in NYC, once back home in Nashville, she took it upon herself to really bless her out, calling her "unprofessional" and saying she was ashamed and embarrassed when Maddie was unable to participate in a TV interview as scheduled.

Juliette was WAY out of line - and way out of character. More realistically, she might have been slightly snarky towards Maddie, saying something like, "Well, I really wish you'd been able to do that last appearance, but I guess you're just a kid after all and not ready for the big time. But girl, if you ever want to really make it, you're going to have to toughen up and get with the program!" Not particularly kind or sensitive, but a far cry from calling a newly bereaved motherless seventeen year old "unprofessional" when grief hit her hard.

Even Juliette's not that clueless.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:09 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,987,290 times
It gets darker each season.
Last episode was pretty depressing.
Even the younest daughter is headed for some zanax pretty soon.
I enjoyed the show when it was lighter.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:12 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
The show is getting so far away from what it started to be. It is now more a California drama show than a Nashville country show.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Renewed for season 6

Old 04-11-2017, 05:29 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I don't think it was a question of money, but of wanting different opportunities than a full five years of playing the role of Rayna Jaymes would allow. Connie Britton did offer to make additional occasional appearances, but evidently the writers and directors were unable to come up with a believable scenario which would allow Rayna to be absent from her family as much as this would require. So - bye-bye, Rayna.

I disagree. I think the writers could have sent an injured but surviving Rayna off to a specialized hospital rehab and made do with Skype and phone calls, plus an occasional flying visit from Deacon and the girls. Season finale - and ideally, the end of the series - could be a successful homecoming by a fully recovered Rayna, with a CMA welcome or Opry appearance. Toss in the release of the duo album with Deacon, and all ends well, at least for Rayna and her immediate family.

Juliette and Avery seem to be settling down, Scarlett needs a common-sense transplant that will finally reconnect her with Gunnar, Will needs a stable relationship that is mutual, Maddie can find another, younger and stable boyfriend, Daphne can go on her first date with the young man she's interested in...and the rest of the cast can find similar satisfying but realistic solutions to whatever issues face them.

Happy is good. Happy is much-needed these days. "Nashville" had the potential to provide its fans and viewers with a great deal of happy - but blew that opportunity bigly.
Actually, I heard it had nothing to do with money, but the fact they moved the bulk of their filming to Toronto (or some where in Canada). Reports were Connie loved this role, but the move would be too hard on her family. I read there could be some ghosts of Rayna guest spots or memory flashbacks, but very limited appearances.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Actually, I heard it had nothing to do with money, but the fact they moved the bulk of their filming to Toronto (or some where in Canada). Reports were Connie loved this role, but the move would be too hard on her family. I read there could be some ghosts of Rayna guest spots or memory flashbacks, but very limited appearances.
That's really too bad. The show was an extra boon for Nashville. I bet people who never thought about going there made the trip because of the show. I also bet a lot of people may have gotten turned on to the new genre of country music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV