Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TV Better Now
Yes 21 20.19%
No 83 79.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
500 channels of crap and commercials
I watch reruns of Wagon Train, Rawhide, and the Alfred Hitchcock Show, wonder why I have color, much less a 62 in HD TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 01:53 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,287,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
People always get nostalgic of the "good ole days" of TV, but was it really that better than it is now? We have more channels and more choices than anytime before. Sitcoms are making a come back. Reality TV shows are garnering audiences from across the board.

These are the "good ole days" of TV.

this is a golden age for television , began around 1999 with the sopranos

Old 07-20-2012, 03:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks;25259953[B
]Miami Vice oddly enough holds up extremely well, as does Hill Street Blues[/b]. Every modern cop show still uses visual techniques and style Miami Vice pioneered. The cinematography, plotting, and pacing haven't changed a whole lot in the past 20 years. By contrast Homicide, while a much better show than Miami Vice, is far more dated. All those dutch angles and stutter cuts.
They really do, don't they?
And, the best part is the guest stars. I saw a "Miami Vice" episode the other day that starred Liam Neeson. (!) Ben Stiller turned up on one too.

And yes, lots of shows owe a lot to that heritage. I am convinced that the character of Lt. Horatio Caine is an homage to Lt. Castillo.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Gosh, I hope not. I cannot afford cable so I watch network TV and sometimes FOX. Serveral retro stations too.
I don't have cable either. But everything I care to watch is either on DVD or available online.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:55 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Default A severe regression

The quality of TV is currently in a free fall. If it's not stupid shows, with the most historically unfunny cornball quips imaginable, it's the crime shows with their gory, bloody violence. I'm not interested in laughing when nothing's funny, and I don't appreciate crime being brought into my house so vividly and frequently. I'm not interested in seeing someone take a dead person's eyeball out of it's socket or view the contents of someone's bloody body cavity.
by
I also find the reality shows to be so damn trite. I feel like I lose a ton of brain cells just hearing those shows. We've got all those pathetic 'Housewives' shows, shows with a bunch of Indiana Jones wannabes eating bugs and worms on an island, or consuming maggots. It's disgusting and stupid. Lamar Odom has been reduced to an embarrassing, whiny buffoon there with his superficial wife. Absolutely insane the pathetic nature of it all. 50000 different channels of pure forgettable crap.

The exceptions of course are the BBC and British shows on PBS and public TV and channels like WGN which show all the older classic shows, shows which are far superior IMO.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
Look at the titles of the threads on the 'TV' forum. Tv is better now? Housewives of [insert any city name here]? Better than ever?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't have cable either. But everything I care to watch is either on DVD or available online.
Yeah, those too but I have a broad spectrum of likes. That's why I really couldn't respond to the OP's poll. I need a couple more choices.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Wow, really?
I love that. It solves all sorts of conflicts on my DVR.
About two weekends ago the longest yard was on ALL weekend. It played twice Saturday night, Sunday morning and then Sunday evening.

I also hate how FX does that behind the scenes crap during the commercial breaks where they'll show a scene that hasn't happened yet.

And how Lifetime shows the same previews of upcoming episodes during every break...I get so tired of abby lee screaming. And I can't even watch my fair wedding in the living room because a bridezilla commerical full of curse words will come on at TWICE the volume of the show.
Same with Style network. I'll be watch How Do I Look or Tia & Tamera and here comes filthy mouth Joan Rivers in the middle of the day.
I don't even bother with BET after the My Wife & Kids reruns.
I used to praise ABC Family for consistently putting out sitcoms (even though I don't watch them pretty little liars and secret life make my eyes hurt) but now I think they have a reality show.

Sigh.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, I couldn't agree with you more. But trust me when I say that it was good in the 1970s. In my opinion, the last good show that was on the air was the Carol Burnett show back in the...um....when? Late 1980s maybe? If you have never seen All in the Family, or The Jackie Gleason Show or an episode of The FBI, then you haven't really seen good television at all.

20yrsinBranson
May I add Columbo? I wish we could at least get some decent reruns. Maybe a few Streets of San Francisco, or Kojak.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:32 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Tv today is horrid. Especially for kids.

Where's their version of Saved By the Bell? Boy meets World? Wonder Years?
All the tween shows now are like mini-soap operas or have really really stuipid adults.

And no more Saturday morning cartoons. Very few cartoons at all for those who are past Dora but not ready for Family Guy. Hey Arnold, Doug, and Rugrats were some of my fave cartoons in middle school.

Very few shows that I can imagine a family watching. No Full House, Fresh Prince, Roseanne. Now its all these smart mouthed kids yelling at their idiot parents about Ipods and Xbox's.

And EVERY show has to be PC. There HAS to be a black person, a gay person, every demographic has to be represented even if it doesn't fit into the storyline.

Most of the time I watch reruns of Old Shows: Cheers, Golden Girls, Cosby, Wings, Murphy Brown, Different World, Dick Van Dyke, 90210....and I'm in my late twenties if age matters.
I can't imagine what it's like for kids, and trying to screen todays shows for them. Tonight I was channel surfing and ended up on The Real L Word. They're talking about strap on's, scissors, the mechanics of how they have sex. Why do we need to know this? Why why why??? What the hell happened to entertainment?
I'm so glad my parents have passed, they wouldn't believe what is on tv these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV