Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,721,589 times

Advertisements

Anyone here ever get "15 minutes" of fame and get on television or in the newspaper for something? (not counting the police blotter lol)

(sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum, i apologize)

I've been on television one time as an 'expert' for a 5 minute segment on the local news station, but other than that, i'm still looking for my other 10 minutes.

I've also seen myself on tv in the backround at sporting events...but, im not going to count that towards my 15 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,984,032 times
Other than a background shot for a local restaurant advertisement I've never been on TV.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:38 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,479,390 times
I was one of two people highlighted in a special on young adults with cancer. It was kind of funny - I gave a half hour interview and the whole thing was limited to 2 sentence long clips and about 2 minutes of footage.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,529,103 times
Quite a number of times. My first wife and I were on the Newlywed Game in 1969 and won. The producer, Chuck Barris, made his first actual appearance during our show. Several months later I was asked to appear on another of his shows, the Game Game along with Louis Nye, Polly Bergen and Nancy Kulp. In the 1990s, I made two appearances on American Journal when I collaborated with them on some televised stings that resulted in bringing several people to trial for fiduciary abuse of seniors. Also in the 90s I made several appearances on various local television networks as an advocate for seniors. Fox cable also televised a two hour presentation I made to a medical community in Northern California regarding Medicare HMOs. I was also interviewed by and quoted in the New York Times, U.S. News & World Report, the Los Angeles Times, various other newspapers and a number of trade journals. By 1997, I gladly hung up my spurs and that haven't interviewed for anyone about anything since. It ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:30 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,363,375 times
I may have been somewhere in the shadows in the background in a movie.
Hard to tell if it actually is me though.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:04 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,974,053 times
I really haven't but my parents were on a cruise ship in 1999 that caught fire and were floating at sea . They captured on video the water running down walls, toilets over flowing and no electricity. They boat was actually tilting slighting in the water. They had written on their bed sheets and hung it over the side of the ship at one point and it was captured on CNN. While the ship was down with no power they were hit by Tropical Storm Harvey. When they arrived at port about a week later we got a call asking if they'd be interviewed for Dateline and Hoda Kotb (she does Today Show with Kathy Griffith) came over and they did an hour long special on my parents and another couple.

The problem was while the ship was down and without power or moving the crew were not attending to the passengers, no food drinks being offered etc etc. A man with cardiac issues had to be flown off the ship by the coast guard and when they arrived they suddenly powered back the ship, turned on the music and were handing out free drinks. The episode showcased the workings of what was going on..

Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,856,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Anyone here ever get "15 minutes" of fame and get on television or in the newspaper for something? (not counting the police blotter lol)
Hi wall st kid--

Back in 2008, I made the 11 o'clock news on Channel 12 in Cincinnati. Also made the front page of the Kentucky edition of the Cincinnati Enquirer shortly thereafter. I was one of the organizers of a "hypermiling" group back when gasoline first hit $4 per gallon - we would find ways to stretch our dollar by driving in fuel efficient ways.

Sadly, my fifteen minutes of game has come and gone.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,721,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Quite a number of times. My first wife and I were on the Newlywed Game in 1969 and won. The producer, Chuck Barris, made his first actual appearance during our show. Several months later I was asked to appear on another of his shows, the Game Game along with Louis Nye, Polly Bergen and Nancy Kulp. In the 1990s, I made two appearances on American Journal when I collaborated with them on some televised stings that resulted in bringing several people to trial for fiduciary abuse of seniors. Also in the 90s I made several appearances on various local television networks as an advocate for seniors. Fox cable also televised a two hour presentation I made to a medical community in Northern California regarding Medicare HMOs. I was also interviewed by and quoted in the New York Times, U.S. News & World Report, the Los Angeles Times, various other newspapers and a number of trade journals. By 1997, I gladly hung up my spurs and that haven't interviewed for anyone about anything since. It ain't all it's cracked up to be.
That's awesome! There are plenty of videos from the Newlywed game on Youtube, you might be able to find yourself if you look!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,529,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
That's awesome! There are plenty of videos from the Newlywed game on Youtube, you might be able to find yourself if you look!
Actually, I think I'd rather not. While the marriage did last for 25 years, it certainly didn't end well. Some things are best left where they belong, as in the past.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,486,704 times
Not 15 minutes but I did interview a local actor on our local PBS station on a pledge break. The questions were all scrited although they were supposed to have appeared as spontaneous. That's show biz.

My sister was an extra on "Friends." She was in the audience watching the show when they asked for volunteers to fill in the seats in the "Central Perk" cafe where the Friends hung out. They were short a few regulars. She and her buddies who had come to be in the audience that day volunteered.

So in one of the "Rachel's Birthday" episodes, you can clearly see my sister sitting in the background at one of the tables as the actors walk in and then again from time to time during the scene. She stands out because as my niece said when she first spotted her, "I would know that perfect posture anywhere!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV