Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,071,269 times

Advertisements

I'd rather see it as a premium channel like HBO.

But I wouldn't buy it unless they divided the programming into two stations: adult and child versions. No other station plays to the kiddies for half the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,184,895 times
We get the PBS magazine and TIVO anything we really want for several hours override. Then I fast forward to skip all the fundraising. Works for us. I love paying for PBS- best use of my entertain dollars by far but I hate the interruptions for it.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,004,385 times
I enjoyed watching the 60s Pop Songs fundraiser. Those are some great artists who can still perform. Can you imagine PBS doing a fundraiser 50 years from now starring those millennial auto-tune music icons Britney Spears and Beyonce?

Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I enjoyed watching the 60s Pop Songs fundraiser. Those are some great artists who can still perform. Can you imagine PBS doing a fundraiser 50 years from now starring those millennial auto-tune music icons Britney Spears and Beyonce?
LMAO. Would love to see J Lo's hip high costumes then!

Oh yeah, the 60's fundraiser was great. Last time Randy Orbach (?) was captured singing before he commited suicide. He was a great singer.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,127,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

But I wouldn't buy it unless they divided the programming into two stations: adult and child versions. No other station plays to the kiddies for half the day.
huh!? I hope you aren't talking about what I've been watching in the morning and afternoon, I was beginning to think I was finally getting smart.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:12 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,656,149 times
If they did that, the word "public" would have to be removed and it would be just another commercial channel, catering purely to whatever makes it (and its advertisers) the most pure unadulterated profit. Most of its best programming would be removed immediately. Many of its current viewers would never see it again.

Quote:

Old 06-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:

I used to love it when I could "park" my daughter in front of the tv in her playpen and let the tv entertain her while I did housework. The when she got older, I liked to sit and watch it with her and learn some Spanish words myself. I think the 1/2 and 1/2 is a great way to run the station.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,494,155 times
What I don't like about the fundraising is that they disrupt the favorite shows with the oldie moldies. I am old but I don't always wand to see performance after performance of old 50's singers. That's okay as a feature show once and awhile during the regular season but I don't want them crammed down my throat over and over again in place of the regular shows I look forward to.

And why aim these at us old folks? It's like they are deliberately pandering to us as if we have all the money. Many us are on fixed incomes. I am and while I enjoy PBS and am willing to contribute the minimum because I do watch it, they don't have to hit me over the head with all that stale old 50's do-wop stuff over and over again with each pledge time.

I really didn't care for that music then and I don't really like it now. Not everyone of that era did.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:35 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,899,269 times
I'm in my 30's, I actually like PBS. Is anyone else a secret fan of Antiques Road show? I think that shows awesome.

-I'm actually kind of surprised PBS is around in its current form. There's been a huge proliferation of cable, internet. Its hard to get one, large concentrated audience to sit down for a show anymore. Network tv ratings are way down in the last 5-10 years.

Maybe they need to branch out with their fundraising efforts. Get away from "pledges". Maybe something new school internet?

Huell Howser is also a staple of PBS in southern california. Rick Steves Europe is also interesting.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Just remembered Randy's name...Randy Bachman, not Orbach. How could I have fogotten that with "Bachman Turner Overdrive"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV