Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I watched this last epi again and had some thoughts. While the exact particulars may be different, here goes:

The island is basically a prison for the MIB who is far older than Jacob. Jacob isn't "God" (or whatever "good" is), he was a candidate who came to the island just like everyone else to keep the MIB from getting off it and causing havok in the world. The MIB is some sort of "evil" (Devil/whatever you want to call it) entity.

It's been a while since I've been to church, but I did grow up in a family who took me to church a lot when I was younger. What I remember in stories about the devil was that he/she/it wasn't going to come into the world looking like the devil/evil spirit. He was going to be a "wolf in sheep's clothing"...saying all the right things, pretending to be a good person, etc. People wouldn't follow someone who was obviously evil. They WOULD follow someone who said and did all the right things and pretended to be "good."

So...basically there have been "candidates" forever. They hold a special power that protects them from the MIB but the MIB has been around for a while and has special powers of his own. Jacob was around for a long time but eventually the MIB found the "loophole" to get rid of him and so there is an urgency to get another protector ASAP. Meanwhile, the MIB is recruiting an army of his own and has managed to get some of the candidates on his side.

I'm not sure that Jacob and the MIB are related. It would be an interesting twist to have Jacob just be another protector in a long line that has kept the MIB trapped on the island since the beginning of time. Perhaps instead of the Garden of Eden, the Island is some sort of "hell". It has been for the countless people who have died there. And it would be interesting for Flocke to actually BE the evil diety since already, you can see the posts saying that they're really not sure if the MIB is evil. If you are religious, it follows along exactly as the bible said it would...people believing that the devil wasn't all that bad or that he wasn't really the devil. No matter how many times people are told that the devil IS evil, you will have people who will say that can't possibly be true.

I predict the writers are going to take us on a serious mind-trip...perhaps Widmore is working for the "good" side which is why Flocke knew who he was and looked disturbed by the news that he was there.
Well done, you nailed it.....and before last night's episode. The only thing we don't know is what/who Jacob is. He very well could be God because he said why should he interfere with man's choices or force them which is essentially arguing in support of free will. The MIB is Satan. The Island is the bottle cap. It's not hell but it sits over hell. We also know Jacob caused the plane to crash to bring the other candidates to the island much like he caused the Richard's ship (Black Rock) to crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:24 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,927 times
Hands down the best epi of the season so far!

So many questions answered. I'm not sure that I'm buying into the whole devil thing. It could be that's what they tell Richard because he was so religious initially.

I need to go back and watch the epi again I'm sure I've missed a few things.

The final scene where the MIB smashes the bottle of wine(?) on the rock was very dramatic.

I can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Loved this episode.

I liked that Richards first experience with smokie was like Lockes --- with smokie not killing him, but 'looking' at him, judging him and apparently extracting the information it needed to manipulate him. Also smokie has been playing this particular 'long con' on many, many castaways. He promised Richard that he could be with his beloved wife again - just as he promised Sayiid he could be with his beloved wife again and apparently how he promised Claire that she could be with her son again. Empty promises all.

In the case with Locke, smokie was able to understand that what Locke needed was not a reunion with a dead loved one, but a purpose and a greater goal. Smokie delivered that. To think that all this time when Locke believed he was serving the Island and/or Jacob it was really Smokie

Brilliant episode!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
If Jacob and Richard are supposed to be such good guys why did they wipe out the entire Dharma Initiative except for Ben? Was DI really that evil that everyone had to be killed including women and children?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 AM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,192 times
Good question! But do we really know how Ben been came to do that? It could have as easily been MIB who suggested that. I believe I remember something about Ben complaining that Jacob just ignored him, never talked to him. So how could Jacob tell him to do it if he never talked to Ben? Of course, it may have been Richard who told him after talking to Jacob...but I just find that hard to believe. Locke was working for the good of the island...no matter who was impersonating Christian. He was a good person, even Ben admitted that. And he did stop the time shifts that began to kill the Losties. Seems like the island prison for MIB just wasn't enough of a prison...he needed to be stripped of his smokey powers, too. I loved Ricardo's simple comment...that if JACOB didn't communicate with the people he brought here, the MIB would would...really opened Jacob's eyes...you could see that moment he realized he'd been doing it wrong! Then said "would you like a job?" or something like that. Funny that Ricardo's first two "wishes" were impossible to grant!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,154,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well done, you nailed it.....and before last night's episode. The only thing we don't know is what/who Jacob is. He very well could be God because he said why should he interfere with man's choices or force them which is essentially arguing in support of free will. The MIB is Satan. The Island is the bottle cap. It's not hell but it sits over hell. We also know Jacob caused the plane to crash to bring the other candidates to the island much like he caused the Richard's ship (Black Rock) to crash.
Hooray for me!

Was it just me or does the MIB look like Richard Hatch (the original winner of Survivor)?

So...loved loved loved Richard's storyline. My gawd...him chained in that boat for days/weeks and being inches away from rainwater. Excellent.

Interesting that the MIB told Richard the exact same thing Doggin said to Sayid..."stab him right through the heart...don't let him speak a word to you or it's already too late".

I suspected Hurley was speaking to Isabella when Jack caught him speaking Spanish to a ghost. I was so glad Hurley came through the forest instead of Flocke.

I think the reason Flocke didn't come when Richard called him is that the MIB understands the difference between someone who is just angry and SAYS they're willing to side with "the dark side" versus someone who really CAN be manipulated. Richard made his choice a long time ago and the MIB knows that after decades (possibly centuries) of doing the right thing, one incident isn't necessarily going to change that.

I need to watch the epi again but if anyone has the dialogue between Jacob and Richard when they were talking about how the MIB believes that people's "evil" natures will always come to the surface and Jacob believes that the good can win out, please post it!

Seems we have our answer about Sayid. He is the epitome of the two theories, again, it's why he's a favorite of mine. I think it also shows the parallels of what's going on in LAX timeline versus what's happening on the island. The candidates are getting a chance to live by the MIB and Jacob's theories in 2 different timelines. Kate, Sawyer, Jack, Sun and Jin all have found a better way of living their lives on the island. Only Hurley seems to have a good situation in both places and Sayid's life stinks in both.

Also shows that Jacob isn't God, but he does have powers...able to make Richard live forever, but can't bring his wife back.

And...sorry to be a girl here...but Richard's hotness quotient went up a few notches. I've always thought he was pretty good looking, but he is now right up there with Sawyer for me.

So...a few BIG things still left unanswered. What's the difference between a candidate and someone like Richard, Ilana and Doggin? How did Jacob know that a kid would make a good candidate since they don't come to the island until they're adults? Were Ilana and Doggin the same as Richard...brought to the island with others who were killed then those 3 were found by Jacob and recruited to help him?

Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, but weren't there white rocks on the dial in the lighthouse? Similar to what Jacob gave to Richard to pass on to the MIB? Some sort of indicator that they have chosen the right path? If they weren't on the dial, where were they? I remember something with white rocks laying on top.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! My Dvr didn't record it!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
LOL Calm down. Go to hulu.com. Less commercials

Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
And...sorry to be a girl here...but Richard's hotness quotient went up a few notches. I've always thought he was pretty good looking, but he is now right up there with Sawyer for me.
LOL Definitely! I agree.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,154,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Last night, we had a huge spring snow storm, the wind was howling and the snow was blowing sideways. The lights kept flickering and all I could think of was how p-d off I was going to be if the power went out during Lost. I didn't care that we wouldn't have power to warm ourselves or that we would all have to huddle in front of the gas fireplace...make me miss Lost and everyone is D-E-A-D!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV