Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 01:17 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,641,517 times

Advertisements

The thing with the giant baby ad is that the message is bizarre and somewhat disturbing because they incorrectly mixed up that your car is visually portrayed as a baby child rather than a romantic adult “baby” implied by the “Love Is Strange” music background. Guys would tend view their car “baby” in a female partner context and certainly not as a baby child. Whoever created this ad didn’t do a very good job. Maybe they have little kids of their own and got carried away thinking it would be cute to the general public as well when it drops the ball and fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 01:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,142,242 times
^^^ True, just about any other love song featuring the word "Baby" would have worked better. Except maybe "She's Having My Baby." When you hear "Love is Strange" the emphasis is on the word "strange." And the commercial is strange.

So the message I got was "this car is strange."

Not sure that's a good selling point.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:45 PM

22,952 posts, read 6,462,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
The AARP commercial w/ the woman walking, "I'm only in my 60's, have a nice long life ahead of me, lots of plans." Okay, we get it AARP she's got a lot of life ahead. Well, perhaps or perhaps not. It's way too manipulative and hubris to think at any age you can assume how long you'll live!! Just irritates me to the point I wish a jogger following her or going the other way would trip her...
I'm in my 60's too and I don't know if I have a nice long life ahead..I think the "long" part is already gone.. How about "Glad I'm still above ground"?

Old 10-26-2013, 01:58 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,489,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The thing with the giant baby ad is that the message is bizarre and somewhat disturbing because they incorrectly mixed up that your car is visually portrayed as a baby child rather than a romantic adult “baby” implied by the “Love Is Strange” music background. Guys would tend view their car “baby” in a female partner context and certainly not as a baby child. Whoever created this ad didn’t do a very good job. Maybe they have little kids of their own and got carried away thinking it would be cute to the general public as well when it drops the ball and fails.

You know, you bring up a great point; maybe that's where some of the feeling of disconnect is coming for from. I was able to see the guy as a person whom felt the car was semblance of a child; I get that, some people care for their cars as if the gave life to it, but, the song does elicit a different vibe. hmmmm.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:17 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,489,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I'm in my 60's too and I don't know if I have a nice long life ahead..I think the "long" part is already gone.. How about "Glad I'm still above ground"?
The thing is, I rarely ever pay attention to exactly what's being sold. Take today, I'm not a car person, I was riding in a car that's featured in a commercial that I posted a link to in the commercials we like thread, I didn't even know it was the same car, nothing special about it to me, I only took note of it because of the L on the steering wheel. I mostly can't tell one from the other, unless it's a Jag (well the old Jaguars,) well anyway, to even find the car commercial to post the link, I had to find out the name of the car, it took me a while, I went through a number of car names before I was able to find the commercial on youtube. Loved watching the ad on tv, had no idea the brand, i'm too old to care what their selling in any of the ads these days.

BTW, I've been so over the commercial for a week now, they had begun running it too often it started getting on my nerves. Though no matter how much they run the camel commercial, I still chuckle. And I don't remember what that ad is for.

the car commercial I'm referring to

Lexus: Crowd - YouTube

Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM

22,952 posts, read 6,462,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
The thing is, I rarely ever pay attention to exactly what's being sold. Take today, I'm not a car person, I was riding in a car that's featured in a commercial that I posted a link to in the commercials we like thread, I didn't even know it was the same car, nothing special about it to me, I only took note of it because of the L on the steering wheel. I mostly can't tell one from the other, unless it's a Jag (well the old Jaguars,) well anyway, to even find the car commercial to post the link, I had to find out the name of the car, it took me a while, I went through a number of car names before I was able to find the commercial on youtube. Loved watching the ad on tv, had no idea the brand, i'm too old to care what their selling in any of the ads these days.

BTW, I've been so over the commercial for a week now, they had begun running it too often it started getting on my nerves. Though no matter how much they run the camel commercial, I still chuckle. And I don't remember what that ad is for.

the car commercial I'm referring to

Lexus: Crowd - YouTube
I agree, a lot of times I remember what I like or don't like about a commercial but I don't recall what product they're trying to sell me.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,759,627 times
The Kohler generator ad.Yes, indeed.............the most important thing ( SARC ) when your power goes out is to worry about is the music that is making an entire family act like idiots

Old 10-29-2013, 02:35 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,641,517 times
The ad with the motorcycle rider with money all over him blowing off into the street as he rides along without a care in the world as to the cash he’s letting blow away. Whatever point they were trying to make has failed.

And there’s an ad that takes place on an airliner where they have functioning barbeque grills built into the backs of the seats. Not a very safe concept. If they hit sudden turbulence that grease and hot coals will be scattered. Maybe they are trying to be “cute” but it just comes off as dangerous and dumb.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,529,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzombie View Post
and there’s an ad that takes place on an airliner where they have functioning barbeque grills built into the backs of the seats. Not a very safe concept. If they hit sudden turbulence that grease and hot coals will be scattered. Maybe they are trying to be “cute” but it just comes off as dangerous and dumb.
rofl!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 AM

7,546 posts, read 11,604,960 times
Erectile Dysfunction and Incontinence commericals should be banned

The Most annoying one ever just might be the one where the guy is doing things and he takes them to far and you hear the car honk sound telling him to stop the new car tells you to stop when your tires are filled to the right level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV