Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 AM

175 posts, read 406,664 times

Advertisements

I refuse (and can't) pay $80 for minimal cable tv! OTA won't work because trees/building are in the way. I don't have internet.
It seems that because I am on limited income due to being disabled that I cannt even watch tv now.
Any suggestions, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,740,801 times
What if you installed an outdoor antenna?? Usually those are less affected by trees/buildings.

Your choices are OTA, Cable/Satellite, and/or Internet. OTA should work with an outdoor antenna

Also, the most basic of cable offerings are about half of the $80. Might be something for you to explore in more depth.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,290,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
What if you installed an outdoor antenna?? Usually those are less affected by trees/buildings.

Your choices are OTA, Cable/Satellite, and/or Internet. OTA should work with an outdoor antenna

Also, the most basic of cable offerings are about half of the $80. Might be something for you to explore in more depth.
I have the most basic package from Dish. Its 43 a month and I get all the local and most of the basic channels. And every month they give you a few of the popular other channels free. The cable setup even bundled with internet which means your stuck with them, is about seventy and you only get broadcast channels. You do have to have a contract with Dish, but as OTA is very iffy with an outdoor antenna (relative has two, one pointing each direction) its a good deal. And the dvr is yours to keep.

I'm not going to spend money on a good antenna and have to go outside and shift the direction its pointing to see a show.

I consider it one of the best bargains around. The service is good except for thunder storms but then you know when the thunder storm is close and the tv picture goes. Comes back as soon as its over.

A friend uses internet only and they see all they want. Fortunately they live where there is more than one choice for internet so its cheaper.

If you live too far from the area where stations are broadcast, often you still can't pick them up with antennas. That's the situation here.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,478,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
I refuse (and can't) pay $80 for minimal cable tv! OTA won't work because trees/building are in the way. I don't have internet.
It seems that because I am on limited income due to being disabled that I cannt even watch tv now.
Any suggestions, please?
You might want to search you provider for all specials. When time came around for my renewal, I was ready to cancel my cable, I went on line found a deal that was for basic digital cable + internet combined, for under $60. I now pay less than what I was previously paying by about $15 or so dollars. They were about to raise my rates for combined to something like $80 or $90, I wasn't having it. I get most of the channels I like, so I'm not complaining about the line up as long as AMC was included.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:41 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,328,760 times
I use a digital antenna hooked to the TV. Inside of the house. Surrounded by trees.

good luck

Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I use a digital antenna hooked to the TV. Inside of the house. Surrounded by trees.

good luck
^^^This works. We have a condo in MN surrounded by trees and buildings etal and we get great reception with our indoor OTA digital antenna hooked up to Plasma TV's. Beautiful pix's.. And we don't have the cable company out like our neighbors all the time adjusting or fixing something they are paying a bundle for.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,486,704 times
Indoor antenna, trees around the apartment building along with all kinds of electrical lines, analogue to digital converter for old TV and I get all the TV I need.

I see cable trucks coming out all the time to adjust my neighbors' cable problems and I am glad it isn't me.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,375,922 times
Are you in an apartment? Does it have a balcony by chance? If you wanted to share your zip code I could go on to TVFool and see what kind of OTA reception you have there. Depending on where you are at, there is something called the Leaf antenna might work for you. Sams club had them for a good price. It is an indoor antenna that looks like a sheet of paper that you stick in your window and it works very good. Even when stations are 25-30 miles away. Don't know if they still carry them. If not Amazon has them for about $36.

You can also buy a TV Tuner stick that you plug into your computer USB, and then you attach the TV cable to it, and you have TV on your computer as well. If you have Windows 7 as well, you can even record all of your favorite shows with it on your computer or an external drive if you like. It will work just like the DVR's they rent from the cable companies.

If you come back, I'll give you some links if your interested. The second cheapest alternative would be to purchase DSL by itself if you have DSL in your area. They don't advertise it, cause they want you to spend more. But you can probably get their 3 mg. service, and that will stream Netflix ($8 mo.) The DSL will run you around $25 to $30 a month. But then you will have TV, internet, and Netflix for about $38 mo. Let me know if you want any more information on any of this stuff and I'll try and walk you through it.

I know if you are trying to live off disability, it is very difficult. But you still may be able to at least get free TV if you give me a little more info. You can PM me if you like.

Just thought about something else you can do. Libraries usually have a pretty large selection of DVD's you can check out. They in some cases will give you up to 10 at a time. They also count a whole Season of a TV show as one DVD, which can be 12 episodes in one box. You can usually keep the disks for two weeks. You also can request an extension to keep them out longer if you want. All you need is a free library card.

Last edited by modhatter; 10-27-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,486,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Are you in an apartment? Does it have a balcony by chance? If you wanted to share your zip code I could go on to TVFool and see what kind of OTA reception you have there. Depending on where you are at, there is something called the Leaf antenna might work for you. Sams club had them for a good price. It is an indoor antenna that looks like a sheet of paper that you stick in your window and it works very good. Even when stations are 25-30 miles away. Don't know if they still carry them. If not Amazon has them for about $36.

You can also buy a TV Tuner stick that you plug into your computer USB, and then you attach the TV cable to it, and you have TV on your computer as well. If you have Windows 7 as well, you can even record all of your favorite shows with it on your computer or an external drive if you like. It will work just like the DVR's they rent from the cable companies.

If you come back, I'll give you some links if your interested. The second cheapest alternative would be to purchase DSL by itself if you have DSL in your area. They don't advertise it, cause they want you to spend more. But you can probably get their 3 mg. service, and that will stream Netflix ($8 mo.) The DSL will run you around $25 to $30 a month. But then you will have TV, internet, and Netflix for about $38 mo. Let me know if you want any more information on any of this stuff and I'll try and walk you through it.

I know if you are trying to live off disability, it is very difficult. But you still may be able to at least get free TV if you give me a little more info. You can PM me if you like.

Just thought about something else you can do. Libraries usually have a pretty large selection of DVD's you can check out. They in some cases will give you up to 10 at a time. They also count a whole Season of a TV show as one DVD, which can be 12 episodes in one box. You can usually keep the disks for two weeks. You also can request an extension to keep them out longer if you want. All you need is a free library card.
I have an indoor antenna like that but it isn't in the window because my TV isn't near the window. The downside is that I do have to move it around at times depending upon the weather but I always can get reception. Small price to pay for a little inconvenience and still cheaper than cable.

I bought mine at Best Buy a couple of years ago. I think it cost around $35.00. I get channels around farther than 35 miles away at times.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:09 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
OP...Here's a popular OTA antenna for under $40.00 that many people have reccomended which should solve your problem. And if it doesn't work you can return it. The Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna - Mohu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV