Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 03:54 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,010,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
I wish they'd follow them a little longer than 12 months. I'd like to know how they do after the show is over and the cameras are gone.
TLC airs a "Where Are They Now?" spcecial episode every year, giving an update on the participants they covered the previous year. They aired a new one just before this new season started. You can probably watch it on the TLC 'My 600 lb Life' website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 11:34 AM

50,459 posts, read 64,328,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
This show is what keeps me running 7-10 miles a day.
I know, right? Like Hoarders keeps me cleaning my closets.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
TLC airs a "Where Are They Now?" spcecial episode every year, giving an update on the participants they covered the previous year. They aired a new one just before this new season started. You can probably watch it on the TLC 'My 600 lb Life' website.
I hope to see a follow up on Joe. A young, sweet kid, who only got his bypass after 12 months. I really wish him well. Although he has a fat, passive mother, his sister is normal and his mother is trying to be supportive as best she can. Of all the families, his is not the worst.

I notice that in all, or most cases, there is no regular meal cooking in the family, only family members going through fast food drive ins.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:45 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,102,375 times
I can't remember whether I've posted here before...Probably. I am two ways about this show. I watch it because I love Cinderella stories. I love transformations. And I love to see the people's faces when they can finally do things they never thought they'd be able to do again...self-care...taking their kids to the park...heck, just wearing a pair of jeans.

BUT it seems like it's becoming more and more apparent that WLS is no magic bullet. Although the show always mentioned that in the past, still it would show these ridiculously striking transformations. I think we're beginning to see more how people "get around" WLS, not because they're greedy gluttons but because whatever is causing them to eat their way up to such extremes is still there after the WLS.

I don't know how I feel about this show anymore. I get judgmental at times and I don't like being that way. For example, for so many of these people, Dr. Now won't do the surgery until they lose X amount of pounds. He either wants them to prove they "can" lose weight on their own (in which case why do the surgery???) or because physically, he's afraid they'll die on the table at their current weight, or both. But like I said, a small part of me wants to ask, "If this person can lose ONE HUNDRED pounds WITHOUT the surgery then why does she need the surgery? And how come she lost those hundred pounds before the surgery but now that she's actually had the surgery her weight loss has halted...?" (This is something that happened to a few others on the show and I believe Nikki's loss was verrrrrrrrrry slow right after surgery...I think it picked up again after that...? I got distracted during the second half of the show.)

I just feel like there is so much more to why people overeat to that extent, and there is so much more to losing than reducing the size of the stomach and re-routing the intestines. And there is just way way more frustration for me in watching because as compared to the premiers - remember that group? Melissa, etc.? - it's not this steady "ZOMG she is still losing so fast, she is capable of more every single day" thing...it's more like...you start to get emotionally invested in these people succeeding and then they don't lose. Dr. Now stares sternly at them, they insist they're "eating so much better," the camera pans to some sensationalist vision of the person chowing down on ridiculous fast food...and lather, rinse, repeat.

So...I don't know whether I'll continue watching this season or not. I did like Nikki a lot. She was soft-spoken, bright, ambitious (she had a very interesting job, IMO), she was kind...as a person I was really rooting for her but who knows what will happen to her from this point onward.

Last edited by JerZ; 01-17-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know, right? Like Hoarders keeps me cleaning my closets.
LOL!!!

I am someone who can't stand clutter, it brings me to tears...I used to watch Hoarders and my husband told me that when I did, it was the only time I wasn't being a crazy person insisting our house wasn't neat enough!

Hoarders too is a tough emotional haul to watch, though, and is frustrating. You want to scream "JUST THROW THE MOUSE POOP-RIDDLED PLASTIC BAGS AWAY" yet at the same time, it is quite obviously a disease or at least a condition. It is so so hard, you can see how the people are suffering...ughhhhhhhhhhhhh, just hard.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:55 AM

I know what you mean, Jerz. I have thought of that too. Why can't they just go on losing without the surgery? Perhaps their stomachs are stretched way beyond that of a normal person, so its necessary.

I am sick of the sob stories, too. We are led to believe that "my daddy molested me", or "my mom was mean to me", or my dad never paid attention to me", only just need to be acknowledged and it is the miracle cure for over eating. But unless they plan on hiring a personal shopper and chef, they seem to me to need a lot more education about food. Maybe they get it, but we just don't see it on the show.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know what you mean, Jerz. I have thought of that too. Why can't they just go on losing without the surgery? Perhaps their stomachs are stretched way beyond that of a normal person, so its necessary.

I am sick of the sob stories, too. We are led to believe that "my daddy molested me", or "my mom was mean to me", or my dad never paid attention to me", only just need to be acknowledged and it is the miracle cure for over eating. But unless they plan on hiring a personal shopper and chef, they seem to me to need a lot more education about food. Maybe they get it, but we just don't see it on the show.
Right, and that's part of the problem too. They're a show. They want and need ratings. They get them by being sensationalist, I am quite sure, and by leaving out things that are more sensible and less "ZOMG!!!!!". Heck, it's sensationalist just to watch that repetitive "see this person in the shower, wow, we'll bet your eyes are bugging out" humiliating sequence that apparently is required to be part of every single episode. And we don't know what's scripted and what's not.

I really feel for these people. Yes, they are signing a paper saying they WANT to be on the show, but why? Because they know they can't afford WLS and possible skin surgeries on their own, many might not have insurance, who knows, and TLC is telling them, "We're here to save you." It's just getting far too sad for me to watch.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:02 PM

22,985 posts, read 6,467,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
LOL!!!

I am someone who can't stand clutter, it brings me to tears...I used to watch Hoarders and my husband told me that when I did, it was the only time I wasn't being a crazy person insisting our house wasn't neat enough!

Hoarders too is a tough emotional haul to watch, though, and is frustrating. You want to scream "JUST THROW THE MOUSE POOP-RIDDLED PLASTIC BAGS AWAY" yet at the same time, it is quite obviously a disease or at least a condition. It is so so hard, you can see how the people are suffering...ughhhhhhhhhhhhh, just hard.
Right, clutter is bad enough but they show filth..I can't watch but a few minutes, it makes me angry
that people are willing to help deal with that horrible mess and they give the people a hard time.
If they have some poor animals living there it's even worse (assuming it's old folks with no children)

Old 01-17-2016, 12:02 PM

52,397 posts, read 52,914,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
So I'm watching last week's show tonight, and there's a new episode up next. I mean it's one thing to talk about the rising obesity rates in general, just counting people over the 30 BMI (really not that big). But the super-morbidly obese are becoming a genuine demographic in this country, it's crazy. I have a few friends starting/looking at med school, and I tell them to go into bariatric surgery, because from the looks of it there's tons of growth potential.
My BMI is around 29 or so, I definitely need to lose about 40 pounds, or so, and I gotta say at my weight I feel it, It's harder to bend over with this gut I've got going, harder to tie my shoe laces, get winded quicker, the whole nine. My pants aren't fitting like they used to, it sucks. I'm working on changing my eating habits and I'm trying to look at getting more fit.

I'm not making judgements but how the hell does someone get to be 600 pounds I mean there be some strange psychology at work there. I really feel bad for those people to get to that point, I mean it's life threatening. I feel awful just at my weight, I couldn't imagine the shame and self-loathing they must have going on. It's really a sad thing and I wish those people the best of luck.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My BMI is around 29 or so, I definitely need to lose about 40 pounds, or so, and I gotta say at my weight I feel it, It's harder to bend over with this gut I've got going, harder to tie my shoe laces, get winded quicker, the whole nine. My pants aren't fitting like they used to, it sucks. I'm working on changing my eating habits and I'm trying to look at getting more fit.

I'm not making judgements but how the hell does someone get to be 600 pounds I mean there be some strange psychology at work there. I really feel bad for those people to get to that point, I mean it's life threatening. I feel awful just at my weight, I couldn't imagine the shame and self-loathing they must have going on. It's really a sad thing and I wish those people the best of luck.
And what about the huge fatty tumors hanging off some of those people? Wouldn't a normal person look at a golfball size thing hanging off of them and get to the doctor before it grew to the size of a small child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV