Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,243,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
You're just being nit-picky. You knew what they meant.
No, I didn't know what they meant. If you're going to ask a question, especially if someone claims to be a Journalist, then write out a clear and cohert question. And how can a show be best and worst at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 05:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,146,101 times
If the thesis is that MWC is one of the top five television shows ever broadcast, what would be required to refute the thesis would be the identification of five programs which were better. Can this be done? Let's see..

West Wing
Seinfeld
30 Rock
The Sopranos
Rome (mini series)

Those are five which all came on the air after MWC and were better. So was Daria.

As for shows before MWC, well, the Lonesome Dove, Roots and Masada mini series were all better, as was Cheers if you just count the first five seasons. The there was I Claudius. MWC wasn't better than that, and there, that is five.

So then, the answer is no. Married With Children isn't one of the top five of all time.

It was still pretty good at times, witty and well acted.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 PM

23,678 posts, read 12,582,769 times
I think one of the top 5 funniest episodes of MWC was the episode High IQ .. when Al bought that Workbench 5000 and he and Jefferson tried to put it together

Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 PM

98 posts, read 93,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I think one of the top 5 funniest episodes of MWC was the episode High IQ .. when Al bought that Workbench 5000 and he and Jefferson tried to put it together
You can almost hear the Looney Tunes theme"

Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,146,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
That was a good one, my favorite was the one where Al is trying to buy a new car and winds up pushing them home one after the other.

Bud, observing Al pushing yet another: "Dad, wouldn't it be easier just to walk home from work without the car?"
Kelly: "Don't be stupid, Bud. Its too far for Daddy to walk without a car."

Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 PM

23,678 posts, read 12,582,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmitchell View Post
You can almost hear the Looney Tunes theme"

Thanks, I was racking my brain trying to remember that quote.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,234,475 times
I love Married With Children. I watch it before going to sleep every night. It's my "teddy bear."

Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Ranking shows is all subjective.. I wouldn't put 4 of the 5 shows mentioned by a previous poster in my top 10. Sopranos being the exception, and I couldn't tell you where it might actually rank.. It would have probably been top 5 until the finale.. Then it plummeted.

MWC was a great show. Groundbreaking. For what it was. A 'top 5' show? nah. Not for me, at least. It went on 5 seasons too long and.. Points get taken away for that.

Of course.. My tastes and someone (well, probably anyone) elses probably don't line up.. I mean.. Hell.. I own all three seasons of "The Greatest American Hero" on DVD and still think it's funny as can be. I also own the DVD set of the one season of "Voyagers" (Jon-Erik Hexum.. You whippersnappers read up about him at Wikipedia or similar).. That was an 'educational' show that I remember from when I was about 7 or 8.. I've always loved time-travel style shows and shows along those lines.. Highway to Heaven, Quantum Leap, etc..

Personally.. I'd put Breaking Bad at the top of my, personal, all-time best list.. Best sitcom of all time?.. You know, this is one that half of you people probably won't know, and the other half will call racist.. Amos and Andy was a funny freaking show.

Now.. The better sci-fi show.. Doctor Who or Star Trek? that... Is tough. 3 solid seasons of Star Trek (or 7, or 7, or 7 or 4.. Pending on the iteration) vs... What are we at? 28th season of Doctor Who? With some great ones, and some really bad ones in there.. I'd probably go with Star Trek on that, but.. Just because I think it's better, doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,397,757 times
Default I don't think so.

I wouldn't put it in my top 200.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,225,942 times
I too wouldn't put Married with Children anywhere approaching the top of the list. I wouldn't even put it in the top 5 sitcoms, a genre that I really dislike.

Tope 5 of all time? Soooooo difficult. But I'll try, and these are not necessarily in order.

1. Breaking Bad
2. Firefly
3. Twilight Zone
4. Upstairs, Downstairs
5. Ballykissangel

I also should not there are a number of well rated shows I have never seen so this is based solely on the shows I have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV