Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM

605 posts, read 1,260,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Be careful. The earlier books are available in an abridged audio format. Get the unabridged. Davina Porter, the narrator, is very good.
Davina does all the books narration and she's superb!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:11 AM

21,484 posts, read 10,591,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Hmmm. We'll have to disagree on this one. I wasn't as ... captivated. I will admit though, I'm watching it for the 5th time right now, LOL.
It was Colum and Dougal's episode

He looks like the Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz

Claire is still in her 1945 brain - she hasn't adapted to the 18th century yet. I'm talking at the TV, just like I talked at the book. "Don't!, don't!"

Lots of differences from the book last night ... and I wish Leghair* had got slapped twice with no apology!

*Yes, I know that's not how to spell her name, LOL
So you watched it five times but weren't as captivated? Maybe you started to nitpick on different details because you watched so many times. That's why I stopped doing that. I got really tired of the books and all the flaws seemed so glaring after re-reading it a few times.

Then again, maybe you just didn't like the changes. I really enjoyed them with a couple of exceptions. I didn't understand Claire showing up and blackmailing Sandringham. That was really odd, and dangerous. Who knows how a powerful duke is going to react? And it seems so unnecessary to do that before Jamie even had a chance to talk to him. It was just out there with no real explanation, but maybe it will come up later.

The other thing I thought was weird was them making it seem like Claire went to Geillis just to warn her to leave. Why would she do that for a murderer? It just makes more sense to make it about Claire going to help a sick woman, which is totally in character for her. I'm not sure I like the fact that we all already know about the murders, affair, and pregnancy before Claire goes to warn her of anything. I liked it better in the book where she found out what a scary person Geillis is in the thieve's hole. I guess they wanted to do that dance in the woods to connect Geillis to the druid rituals that Mrs. Graham and her ladies did back in 1945. At least it gave them a chance to play that beautifully haunting song again.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,443,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So you watched it five times but weren't as captivated? Maybe you started to nitpick on different details because you watched so many times. That's why I stopped doing that. I got really tired of the books and all the flaws seemed so glaring after re-reading it a few times.

Then again, maybe you just didn't like the changes. I really enjoyed them with a couple of exceptions. I didn't understand Claire showing up and blackmailing Sandringham. That was really odd, and dangerous. Who knows how a powerful duke is going to react? And it seems so unnecessary to do that before Jamie even had a chance to talk to him. It was just out there with no real explanation, but maybe it will come up later.

The other thing I thought was weird was them making it seem like Claire went to Geillis just to warn her to leave. Why would she do that for a murderer? It just makes more sense to make it about Claire going to help a sick woman, which is totally in character for her. I'm not sure I like the fact that we all already know about the murders, affair, and pregnancy before Claire goes to warn her of anything. I liked it better in the book where she found out what a scary person Geillis is in the thieve's hole. I guess they wanted to do that dance in the woods to connect Geillis to the druid rituals that Mrs. Graham and her ladies did back in 1945. At least it gave them a chance to play that beautifully haunting song again.
LOL - I lost count how many times I watched other episodes, especially The Wedding and The Reckoning.

I am completely addicted. I hope they have Sam Heughan do another voice-over. Hearing things from Jamie's side is one of the changes I really like.

I think the reasoning of showing Claire going to Geillis was ... Geillis is basically the closest (or only) friend she has, murder or not.

The Wentworth episode will be seen through my fingers the first or second time, just like the lashing scenes in The Garrison Commander.

It's been a while since I re-read Outlander, so sometimes I just sit up and say, "Oh yeah, I remember what's coming up!" The changes haven't bothered me - I figure Ron Moore has a reason for them down the road. Adaptation is the key

Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,419,751 times
I doubt we will hear anything from Jamie about Claire's "plump arse'.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:56 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,443,598 times
A really good and different interview with Sam Heughan at Interview Magazine.
(Ugly pictures though, I hate artsy no matter who it is)

New thing learned - he was named after Samwise Gamgee. Hippy parents!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,608,312 times
Those photos are really pretentious. Heughan seems like a nice enough person; and I love it that both he and his brother were named for LOTR characters.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I am SO jealous of anyone who is reading these books for the first time!

Jamie's ghost.
To the bolded: brain twister! Makes me think she makes it back to Frank but all of this happened and both she and Jaime remember it.

If true that is sad that Jamie pines for her even after death.......

Old 04-16-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The second companion is now out, and don't forget the Lord John series.

DianaGabaldon.com | Chronology of the Outlander Series

To those who have not yet read the books:

They are BIG and they are addictive! Do not start one expecting to read a few pages before you go to sleep - you may not get to sleep at all!
I wonder if I've ruined the books (at least the first one) by watching the show first...........usually it works better doing the other way around.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I very much enjoyed the first Outlander novel; the sequels, not as much. I am hoping the TV version of the sequels will be more entertaining than the books. I think Catriona Balfe makes an outstanding Claire; and Sam Heughan is nearly as good as Jamie. Tobias Menzies is acting the double role of Frank/Black Jack Randall with gusto, probably is flat-out thrilled not to be playing wimpy Edmure Tully in Game of Thrones anymore....So far, I am loving the series, and wonder how they will handle what's going to happen.
Yes, I like how he even LOOKS like a different person with only the hair (that I can see) as actual modiication. It's just everything about the way he carries himself and speaks and so forth. I bet that is a LOT of fun.

Sometimes it's hard for me to see Frank as a good person after watching Black-Jack. So evil and cruel.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I wonder if I've ruined the books (at least the first one) by watching the show first...........usually it works better doing the other way around.
Don't worry about it. Just get the first book and start reading. Diana Gabaldon likes to engage the reader's senses, which she does with scads of detail, and she is the first author who can make me actually smell things when she writes about scents. Her background research is impeccable, and her characterization of the historical characters she uses is believable, even if you know that it is fictional. It will be interesting to see how the film version portrays Bonnie Prince Charlie, for example. You could start reading and catch up to current events fairly quickly. There will be much more in the books than on the screen, and I think you will find the book and the film versions both satisfying. The books are long, 800 to 900 hardcover pages. For those who do not like Big Books, the detail is too much. I personally really, really like Big Books! I hate it when I get to the point when I know I am past the halfway mark in one and there are fewer pages left to read than I have already finished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yes, I like how he even LOOKS like a different person with only the hair (that I can see) as actual modiication. It's just everything about the way he carries himself and speaks and so forth. I bet that is a LOT of fun.

Sometimes it's hard for me to see Frank as a good person after watching Black-Jack. So evil and cruel.
Some minor spoilers in the link, but Diana tells a lot about how the book series came to be. read the link if you do not mind the spoilers.

DianaGabaldon.com | FAQs

Diana says,

"There’s a local group of fans here in Phoenix who have been taking me out to tea every spring for the last few years. There’s a resort that does a full formal English tea, with scones and clotted cream and finger sandwiches and all kinds of goodies–we all have a good time and they get to pick my brains about the book in progress.

Anyway, at one of these teas, the readers got onto Jack Randall, and what a horrible, terrible, nasty, loathsome, repellent….etc. he was. And all the time, I was sitting there, quietly sipping my tea, and thinking, 'You really don’t have any notion that you’re talking to Black Jack Randall, do you?' Just bear that in mind."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV