Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 PM

422 posts, read 1,363,484 times

Advertisements

The Wire is very realistic for Baltimore and so did Homicide: Life on the Street. David Simon does a great job of realistically portraying Baltimore. Granted it may not show Baltimore in the best light but it is realistic to what goes on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,099,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
This is that Chicago mentality that irritates me. Can't you take a joke?
Hon, if so many of your posts weren't making sweeping statements about those who live in urban areas you are not particularly fond of then I might have been more quick to recognize your comments as a joke.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:36 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,976,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
^^I think we should cast ajf as the lead of this new show, seeing as how he is the most knowledgeable and he'd get the accent right (farty-far, warshington)
LOL, great idea!

I sorta recall that ajf is an aerospace engineer who had an interest in making moonshine a few months back--sounds like a lead character to me. He can work at Anheuser by day... and make fahr-water by night...

Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM

762 posts, read 1,597,089 times
MIlwaukee had levern and shirly and happy days i think

Old 12-10-2007, 12:45 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,036,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Hon, if so many of your posts weren't making sweeping statements about those who live in urban areas you are not particularly fond of then I might have been more quick to recognize your comments as a joke.
Right. Because for someone who isn't a fan of Chicago, my opinion doesn't count

Old 12-10-2007, 12:51 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,099,975 times
I don't give two figs what you think of my fair city. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

I'm sure that if I knew of an unflattering mockery of a show filmed in Fort Wayne and then stated unequivocally that I felt it described all of the residents of that city to a T, then people from Fort Wayne would have something to say about that.

Especially if I were well known on a talkboard as someone who loathed Fort Wayne and made sweeping negative generalizations about the residents of Fort Wayne on a someone regular basis.

... and that is all I have to say about that.

.... now, as far as a movie (not a TV) show that I felt was a apt vignette into Indiana life in an earlier time, I have to say that 'A Christmas Story" does a fairly good job. It is sweet and has enough self-deprecating humor that it doesn't take itself to seriously, but isn't unnecessarily cruel or absurd either with the characters turning them into a mockery. I don't have a problem with humor, and humor that makes fun of the unique quirks of certain regions of the county is fine with me, but it has to be done right.

As far as my comment about ER, I actually don't like the 'grittiness' factor as much as I like some of the human factor. I wish there was a show that was filmed here that depicted more of a 'normal life', but there isn't one, and at least the characters on ER are not all one-dimensional dolts.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:00 PM

506 posts, read 2,151,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChooch View Post
I thought Designing Women was set in Savannah.
The show was set in Atlanta but the house they used in the opening credits is actually in Little Rock.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmuta View Post
To those who asked about Pittsburgh and Atlanta. Atlanta had Matlock and Designing Women. Pittsburgh had Mr. Rogers, Mr Belvedere, and My So-Called Life.
Actually, Mr. Belvdere (which I never saw) was set in my hometown, Beaver Falls, PA about 30 miles NW of Pittsburgh. Mr. Rogers didn't seem to really have a setting, though he sure had the accent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I mean... Mork was NOT realistic???

Grrr, why do I keep making that same mistake? I know what I think I am typing but when I read it I find out that my fingers don't obey me anymore. Getting older can be a nuisance.
I agree about Getting older". But we're not getting older, we're getting better. Someone once asked me if I knew Mork when he found out I live near Boulder, which was the actual setting, not Denver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
OK, I'll take a stab at the "St. Louis Sitcom" just to set an example.

This is a sitcom about a group of young people who live in Creve Cour. MO.

They know each other through their job at Anheuser Busch.

After work, they get together at Woofies, where everybody likes to eat bratwurst while they make up new ways to bash L.A. on city-data.

Wacky hijinks occur! To give it a regional flavor, some of these hijinks include:
1. A car accident while driving the Our Lady of the Snow Shrine.
2. Trying to build a truly majestic stove for Thanksgiving Dinner at the Majestic Stove Lofts.
3. Debating the right way to pronounce Creve Cour.

There are a few really colorful characters, too. They are:
1. A confused neighbor who thinks she is Georgia Frontiere.
2. A young metrosexual from Pennsylvania. He got drunk one night and found himself penniless and lost in St. Louis. Wacky hijinks occur because of his endless attempts to return to his beloved Scranton. But alas, just like on Gilligan, something always foils his plan.
3. The mysterious-yet-beautiful PittNurse70. It’s rumored she is involved with some sort of covert operation in Colorado

Flattery will get you nowhere.

They have a regular ritual that involves the arch. It is:

Seeing who can exchange an article of clothing before the tram gets to the observation deck. Nobody challenges the geeky guy anymore because he always takes off his shoes and his feet smell. And EVERYBODY wants to challenge the busty blonde!
Go for it! Sounds better than most anything else on TV. Maybe there could be an episode where my satellite gets knocked out (because of some covert activity) and my DH has to get off the history channel!

Old 12-10-2007, 01:45 PM

"The mysterious-yet-beautiful PittNurse70. It’s rumored she is involved with some sort of covert operation in Colorado.

Flattery will get you nowhere."

Aw rats, PittNurse, and here I was hoping you'd bring me some of those Russian Olive trees that they're yanking out of the ground out your way.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post

Someone once asked me if I knew Mork when he found out I live near Boulder, which was the actual setting, not Denver.
LOL--I was studying at DU the year that came out. I remember having a few freshman who started in the spring, and who showed up wearing those rainbow colored suspenders a la Mork. Guess that's what they thought everyone in Colorado wore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV