Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:22 AM

231 posts, read 701,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Love your list, but not all of them are sitcoms. I thought we were only to list sitcoms; otherwise I would have listed Family, Little House on the Prairie, and The Waltons. You got all the great cop shows like Starsky & Hutch, Columbo, and Kojak.

he he ~ I know I got carried away so many good ones in the 70's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 02:34 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,995,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
All In the Family
The Bob Newhart Show

You can have the rest of them.
Another DITTO!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:30 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,283,946 times
[quote=maniac77;35160190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
1 is the best,10 is the worst...how do ya rank them?

Alice
All in the Family
The Bob Newhart Show
The Brady Bunch
The Jeffersons
Laverne & Shirley
Maude
One Day at a Time
Sanford and Son
Three's Company

/quote]

I've seen all of these shows, but I've watched some more than others. For example, I've only seen 1 episode of Maude. Here are my rankings with brief reasoning though:

1) The Brady Bunch-love the Hawaii episodes, Alice, Carol, and Peter's "pork chops and applesauce"
2) Alice-love that it took place in Phoenix, Flo's "kiss my grits", Mel Sharples, and great intro song
3) All in the Family-love that this show dealt with the issues of the time and much of it is still applicable
4) One Day at a Time-love this because of Schneider
5) Laverne & Shirley-love Tyne Daly and what a great theme song
6) The Jeffersons-love that there was a character named Weezy
7) Sanford and Son-I couldn't relate to this one and never found it funny, but Red Foxx was a legend.
8) Three's Company-I didn't find this show funny at all. Only Don Knotts saved it for me.
9) The Bob Newhart Show-This doesn't stand out to me at all, and I tend to confuse this show with later versions of Newharts i.e. I'm Darryl, this is Darryl, and this is my other brother, Darryl.
10) Maude-I only saw 1 episode. It was okay, and props to Bea Arthur.

Where the bleep is Good Times on this list? That was my favorite 70s show with James Evans (played by the great John Amos) and JJ "Dy-no-mite" Walker. What about Chico and The Man? I've never seen an episode, but I hear that Freddie Prinze was hilarious.
Tyne Daly was in Laverne and Shirley That's news to me

Laverne and Shirley was a spin off from Happy Days....Happy Days not on the list
Also Mary Tyler Moore Show....I always liked that one.

All In the Family ....fantastic Carroll O'Connor as Archie was perfect casting
Bob Newhart Show ....very good to, set in Chicago
Brady Bunch ....a cheesy classic
Sanford and Son ....Redd Foxx made the show
Jeffersons ....movin' on up
Three's Company...I liked Stanley Roper and later Mr Furley Almost more of an 80s show, kinda.
Laverne and Shirley ....still watchable, not bad
One Day at a Time ...imo hasn't aged well, rarely seen today, most seasons not on DVD
Alice ...ditto for this one
Maude ....spin off from All In the Family ....Bea Arthur as Maude, too obnoxious, very dated.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:45 PM

106 posts, read 64,428 times
1.laverne and shirley
2.the Brady bunch
3.Alice
4.the Bob newhart show
5.the Jefferson's
6.all in the family
7.Sanford and son
8.threes company
The other two I have not seem

Old 05-26-2015, 12:50 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
The Bob Newhart Show--1

The Jeffersons--2

Sanford and Son--3

Maude--4

The Brady Bunch--5

Laverne & Shirley--6

Alice--7

Three's Company--8

One Day at a Time--9

All in the Family--10

Okay, something that occurred to me as I was ranking was the power of the comedian in charge. Bob, Sherman, Redd, and Bea, wherever they are, are VERY POWERFUL comedians........and O'Connor isn't! (my dislike of All in has already been covered in another thread)

Probably the biggest thing that sinks One Day in this listing is that it is not a comedy while all the other choices are.

As far as the other shows go, such as the Bunch, Laverne, and Three's, one must appreciate the age that they were encountered. I was a kid when the Bunch came on and hence, it was very easy to take in. But when I came across it at almost 18, when I wanted to watch UFO and my preteen cousins wanted to see the Bunch, of course I didn't like it.

There are other factors as well. Most of those shows....I never saw because they were on school nights. I had a lot of activities and homework and saw very little TV. I think Alice was a Sunday evening show......and I don't think I ever saw anything of it. Just a snippet of when George Burns was on. Sanford, though, was a Friday night show, and Newhart a Saturday one. It didn't help that the brunette in Three and Laverne was a secondary character.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:21 PM

84 posts, read 22,171 times
1. The Bob Newhart Show
2.The Jefferson's
3.The Brady Bunch
4.Laverne and Shirley

The rest all suck

Old 09-10-2015, 05:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
I think All in the Family was funny and had a point. One sitcom not mentioned was the Mary Tyler Moore Show, which I always thought was funny and good. We watched and on Saturday nights when we were first married. We watched All in the Familyand The Jeffersons on Sunday nights. I liked all of them, as I remember.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,802,194 times
The Brady Bunch
The Bob Newhart Show
The Jeffersons
Laverne & Shirley
Sanford and Son
Three's Company
Alice
All in the Family
Maude
One Day at a Time

Old 09-11-2015, 11:05 AM

1,991 posts, read 902,300 times
No love for "WKRP In Cincinnati"? That show and "All in the Family" were about the only comedy shows I cared to watch in the 70's. The rest were dreck. I loved " MASH" as well, but I think of that show as more of a dramedy.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:35 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,537,155 times
All in the Family, The Bob Newhart Show
Also Barney Miller, Mary Tyler Moore, Taxi, and Soap, in no particular order

They were on a level far far above all the rest of the list....

The Brady Bunch
The Jeffersons
Laverne & Shirley
Maude
One Day at a Time
Sanford and Son
Three's Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV