Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,603,784 times

Advertisements

At over four years old Sling TV is the oldest live TV streaming service offering the original "skinny bundle". They offer a Blue and Orange bundle along with a core group of 27 channels. The blue and orange bundle together costs $40 while individually they are $25 apiece, but right now they are discounted for three months to $25 and $15 apiece.
  1. CNN ------ AT&T
  2. TBS ------ AT&T
  3. TNT ------ AT&T
  4. Cartoon Network ------ AT&T
  5. A&E ------ A+E Networks
  6. History ------ A+E Networks
  7. Lifetime ------ A+E Networks
  8. AMC ------ AMC Networks Inc.
  9. IFC ------ AMC Networks Inc.
  10. BBC America ------ AMC Networks Inc. (50%)
  11. Food Network ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  12. HGTV ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  13. Investigation Discovery ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  14. Newsy ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  15. Travel Channel ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  16. Comedy Central ------ News Corp: Viacom
  17. Bloomberg ------ financial news network
  18. Cheddar Business ------ financial news network
  19. Cheddar News ------ financial news network
  20. Local Now ------ Byron Allen : Entertainment Studios
  21. Tribeca Shortlist ------ De Niro, Rosenthal, and Craig Hatkoff
  22. Fuse ------ Fuse Media, LLC.
  23. AXS TV ------ Mark Cuban
  24. EPIX Drive-In ------ Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
  25. Comet ------ Sinclair Television Group, Inc.
  26. Stadium ------ Sinclair Television Group, Inc.
  27. Viceland ------ VICE Media
    BLUE OPTION
  28. truTV ------ AT&T
  29. Bravo ------ COMCAST
  30. E! ------ COMCAST
  31. NBC (broadcast station) ------ COMCAST
  32. NBC RSNs ------ COMCAST
  33. NBC Sports Network ------ COMCAST
  34. Syfy ------ COMCAST
  35. USA Network. ------ COMCAST
  36. Discovery Channel ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  37. TLC ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  38. NFL Network ------ National Football League
  39. Fox (broadcast station) ------ News Corp
  40. FOX RSNs ------ News Corp
  41. Fox Sports 1 ------ News Corp
  42. Fox Sports 2 ------ News Corp
  43. BET ------ Viacom
  44. Nick Jr. ------ Viacom
  45. Paramount Network ------ Viacom
  46. FX ------ The Walt Disney Company
  47. FXX ------ The Walt Disney Company
  48. Nat Geo Wild ------ The Walt Disney Company
  49. National Geographic Channel ------ The Walt Disney Company
    ORANGE OPTION
  50. MotorTrend ------ Motor Trend Group
  51. ACC Atlantic Coast Conference ------ The Walt Disney Company
  52. Disney Channel ------ The Walt Disney Company
  53. ESPN ------ The Walt Disney Company
  54. ESPN2 ------ The Walt Disney Company
  55. ESPN3 ------ The Walt Disney Company
  56. Freeform ------ The Walt Disney Company

The ORANGE bundle was meant to isolate the Walt Disney company channels in case the corporation exercised their contractual right to leave Sling. Now Disney has complicated the plan by buying four major channels from FOX networks.

But with the massive discount for three months to entice new customers, one has to wonder how long this business relationship can go on. With Disney now becoming 60% owner of Hulu, and new streaming services owned by individual companies abounding, how long can this "skinny bundle" uniting channels of rival companies continue to operate.

Sling is often known as a cheap way to see sports as nobody else offers ESPN for as low as $25. The BLUE option also has a lot of sports options including regional sports networks. It is missing some news channel favorites like FOX NEWS, FOX BUSINESS NEWS, and MSNBC plus the broadcast channel CBS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,025,494 times
Slingtv is owned by Dish Network. It's not in any sort of danger of failure anytime soon. It's their fall-back to recapture some customers leaving their higher priced satellite service. It's meant to be cut-rate.

One of the best things Charlie Ergen has come up with, and very successful so far.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
If anything it is taking off. People are cutting the cord and starting to stream. Almost everyone I know in our area has Sling TV if they are not cable.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:59 AM

14,349 posts, read 11,742,689 times
Sling is great for us. My husband is a sporadic sports-watcher so the channels he wants to see are constantly changing, and we love how we can switch from Orange to Blue and back again in a matter of minutes, with no extra fee or penalty.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:05 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,238,853 times
I just joined Sling for a specific regional sport network (the YES network) so I can watch the Yankees. I don't really care about the other channels as I don't watch much cable or even network TV anymore (trashy, mindless reality TV shows are a turn off).

Old 04-09-2019, 08:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
At over four years old Sling TV is the oldest live TV streaming service offering the original "skinny bundle". They offer a Blue and Orange bundle along with a core group of 27 channels. The blue and orange bundle together costs $40 while individually they are $25 apiece, but right now they are discounted for three months to $25 and $15 apiece.

The ORANGE bundle was meant to isolate the Walt Disney company channels in case the corporation exercised their contractual right to leave Sling. Now Disney has complicated the plan by buying four major channels from FOX networks.

But with the massive discount for three months to entice new customers, one has to wonder how long this business relationship can go on. With Disney now becoming 60% owner of Hulu, and new streaming services owned by individual companies abounding, how long can this "skinny bundle" uniting channels of rival companies continue to operate.

Sling is often known as a cheap way to see sports as nobody else offers ESPN for as low as $25. The BLUE option also has a lot of sports options including regional sports networks. It is missing some news channel favorites like FOX NEWS, FOX BUSINESS NEWS, and MSNBC plus the broadcast channel CBS.
One can subscribe to ESPN+ for $5.99 per month.
Granted you don’t get access to everything but still lots of live content.

Personally, I don’t think that SlingTV is in any danger of failing but the market is definitely starting to saturate so time will tell.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:45 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,778,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Slingtv is owned by Dish Network. It's not in any sort of danger of failure anytime soon. It's their fall-back to recapture some customers leaving their higher priced satellite service. It's meant to be cut-rate.
Right. When the FCC mandated service without hardware requirement, the two satellite 'cable' providers were perfectly positioned to redirect their uplink feed into an internet one with the least amount of effort. So they got there first.

It will be interesting to see how this market shakes out, especially as Comcast/Xfinity is now there.

OTOH, I was greatly dismayed when the growing a la carte offerings in streaming were abruptly short-circuited by the entry of these bundle providers, back to the shell game of charging too much for packages stuffed with channels no one much wants anyway.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:08 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,603,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If anything it is taking off. People are cutting the cord and starting to stream. Almost everyone I know in our area has Sling TV if they are not cable.

But that is my point, that streaming is taking off. Rather than rely on Dish network, to stream your product, media companies are starting their own services where there own channels dominate.

For example, ATT&T Watch TV, features their own nine channels prominently and then round it with small company offerings. That way they don't make money for other major media companies.
  1. CNN --------- AT&T
  2. HLN --------- AT&T
  3. TBS --------- AT&T
  4. TCM --------- AT&T
  5. TNT --------- AT&T
  6. truTV --------- AT&T
  7. Audience --------- AT&T
  8. Boomerang --------- AT&T
  9. Cartoon Network --------- AT&T
  10. Hallmark Channel --------- Crown Media
  11. Hallmark Movies and Mysteries --------- Crown Media
  12. A&E --------- A&E
  13. FYI --------- A&E
  14. History --------- A&E
  15. Lifetime --------- A&E
  16. Lifetime Movie Network --------- A&E
  17. Viceland --------- A&E
  18. AMC --------- AMC
  19. BBC America --------- AMC
  20. BBC World News --------- AMC
  21. IFC --------- AMC
  22. Sundance TV --------- AMC
  23. WE TV --------- AMC
  24. Discovery Channel --------- DISCOVERY
  25. Animal Planet --------- DISCOVERY
  26. Food Network --------- DISCOVERY
  27. HGTV --------- DISCOVERY
  28. Investigation Discovery --------- DISCOVERY
  29. OWN --------- DISCOVERY
  30. TLC --------- DISCOVERY
  31. Velocity --------- DISCOVERY

Old 04-09-2019, 01:15 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,778,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I just joined Sling for a specific regional sport network (the YES network) so I can watch the Yankees. I don't really care about the other channels as I don't watch much cable or even network TV anymore (trashy, mindless reality TV shows are a turn off).
And in the aborted world of individual streaming, you could could have subscribed to only that sports coverage. But the cable "packaging" model is so profitable that it couldn't help but short-circuit the viewer/consumer-friendly model.

But such a bargain - 40-50-60 channels for your $50 a month!

Old 04-09-2019, 04:18 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,507,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Sling is great for us. My husband is a sporadic sports-watcher so the channels he wants to see are constantly changing, and we love how we can switch from Orange to Blue and back again in a matter of minutes, with no extra fee or penalty.

I didn't know you could do that! The college football team I follow usually has games on ESPN, Fox Sports, and CBS Sports which are on different plans, so I thought I had to sub to both plans. Can I really just switch plans every week to see all the games?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV