Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times

Advertisements

Waking up to watch Saturday morning cartoons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 12:20 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Waking up to watch Saturday morning cartoons!
Yes, I remember the pure joy and excitement my siblings and I felt on Saturday mornings. My dad would often go get a box of donuts as a special treat as well.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:35 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
What is the first memory you have of TV?

for me - one of my earliest memories of TV would be watching Sarah Platt on Corrie getting kidnapped in 2001.
Not having one. And TV existed when I was a kid; my mom just didn't think it was good for kids to watch it, rather than play outside, play board games, or do arts and crafts. Life was better then, in some ways

Old 10-25-2014, 01:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Sid Caesar "Your Show of Shows," Milton Berle, "The Colgate Comedy Hour" with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. "Omnibus" with Alistair Cooke and "Victory at Sea" were my parents favorites. Also I just remembered, "Your Hit Parade" and "Dr. Hudson's Secret Journal." They also liked "Ed Sullivan" and "Liberace." Actually it was just my mom and me watching "Liberace.

Dramas were "Play House 90," "GE Theater," and "The Loretta Young Show."

My sister and I watched "Flash Gordon," "Bugs Bunny," "Annie Oakley," "Howdy Doody" "Sky King," "Kukla, Fran and Ollie" and "The Cisco Kid" to name a few. You would think we didn't have time to go out and play but we did.

Oh and at Christmas time, always "The Cinnamon Bear."

Old 10-25-2014, 05:43 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Sitting really close to it and being intrigued by the different colored dots in something that was all one color. It never grew old. Still fascinating.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Sitting really close to it and being intrigued by the different colored dots in something that was all one color. It never grew old. Still fascinating.
But didn't your mom tell you sitting too close to the TV screen would ruin your eyes?

Old 10-25-2014, 09:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
We bought our first TV in 1953. It was a tabletop black Admiral. Our mother allowed us three to watch all Saturday morning, and I remember a lot of what I watched. Old kiddie westerns they were. I was especially interested in Annie Oakley, but there was also the thrilling beginning of the Lone Ranger. I seem to remember a kiddie space show, Tom Corbett, i think. And I believe there was an Ovaltine sponsored super hero, whose name escapes me. Oh, and Sky King. And something called Cowboy G-men. I don't know if Hopalong Cassidy was on the first day I watched, but definitely watched that show, and the Cisco Kid. I think there was another one about Wild Bill Hickok, although I don't think it was remotely accurate. His sidekick Jingles, was played by Andy Devine. I loved watching those old shows.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Mr. Rogers, Scooby Doo, The Brady Bunch.

At least shows back then had a moral message, esp The Brady Bunch and Mr Rogers.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
I remember Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

I also remember watching the moon landing in 1969! I was very small, but I have a very clear memory of my parents telling me I had to watch this report, because it was very important. I also remember that I had an orange, blue, and green striped shirt on when I was watching this.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We bought our first TV in 1953. It was a tabletop black Admiral. Our mother allowed us three to watch all Saturday morning, and I remember a lot of what I watched. Old kiddie westerns they were. I was especially interested in Annie Oakley, but there was also the thrilling beginning of the Lone Ranger. I seem to remember a kiddie space show, Tom Corbett, i think. And I believe there was an Ovaltine sponsored super hero, whose name escapes me. Oh, and Sky King. And something called Cowboy G-men. I don't know if Hopalong Cassidy was on the first day I watched, but definitely watched that show, and the Cisco Kid. I think there was another one about Wild Bill Hickok, although I don't think it was remotely accurate. His sidekick Jingles, was played by Andy Devine. I loved watching those old shows.
I absolutly adored Sky King. I wanted to go on adventures with them. I also never missed the Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers. There is a song by Austalian folk singer Eric Bogle about what Roy Rogers meant to he and his friends way back then, though they had to see it at the movies. I think it was a nice comfortable place to go and dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV