Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:50 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,170,918 times

Advertisements

Top Gear Host Jeremy Clarkson Sacked by BBC

I loved the show and although he was funny, Clarkson certainly was insulting to a lot of people. I am kind of surprised the BBC put principle above profit and didn't just let this "blow over."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:55 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,970,544 times
Clarkson IMO, wasnt really the problem. People were just too sensitive. However, with all the controversies in the last few years, what would have been an incident that would have been dealt with behind closed doors with little penalty, had to be handled severely by the BBC. Even though I hate that he's fired and that the show is more than likely over(even if it goes on, May and Hammond says they wont do it without Clarkson, and it wont be watchable), I understand their logic. Hopefully something is worked out to where Sky or even Netflix could sign all 3...well 4, if you include Andy Wilman.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:51 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times
I punch someone out at work and have a total ranting meltdown. I get fired. I'm pretty sure that's the way it is for most working people. Actually most of us would probably end up down at the police station and at a minimum have to do anger therapy or something.

I am soooo sick of special rules for sooooome people. I could give **** if he's on tv.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:16 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
I loved Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson & it sucks he's gone. Clarkson has nobody to blame but himself. He's been pushing it to the edge for years now. Someone like Daniel Tosh can get away with that in the U.S., but this is the ultra PC UK. Plus, how many warnings did BBC give him?

I think Top Gear will go on with all new hosts. Wasn't Top Gear around before Clarkson, May, & Hammond were on it?

Old 03-25-2015, 05:57 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,404,445 times
I will definitely miss the show, but he deserved it.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
Won't watch it anymore. BBC has lost this great moneymaker. No one will step into their shoes and do a proper job of it.

Sad.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,968 times
I hope that Clarkson, Hammond, and May get hired by another network to put together an auto show!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:11 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,970,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post

I think Top Gear will go on with all new hosts. Wasn't Top Gear around before Clarkson, May, & Hammond were on it?

It will probably go on for a couple series with new hosts, but I see it dying off. Yes, it was around before these 3, but it was more a strict car reviewing show(think Fifth Gear), than an entertainment/review show. These three made it into the juggernaut that it is today. Their chemistry is something that is unrivaled on pretty much any TV show(in any country) currently, or in the past. Replacing that is gonna be next to impossible.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:44 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
I agree with comments made above that he should not have special privileges due to his position and popularity. He's been on borrowed time for a while.

He can be very engaging but very annoying, as witnessed by his interactions with Hammond and May and others.

Not that it's anything special, but I was standing next to him in line for a coffee one time and chatted to him, but he said he had a hang over.

He needs to grow up in a number of ways.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,862,682 times
You punch someone then rant and rave at them - after punching them(!) - guess what, you get fired. There's absolutely nothing 'PC' about getting fired for assault. He might even find himself in jail for a bit. Apologist for people like this are on some level worse than him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV