Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 04:43 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Many people feel that television entertainment offerings should all be crafted specifically to their own personal sensibilities and preferences. They often consider reality television interfering (for timeslot space and production funding) with the programming that they think should be broadcast exclusively, i.e., that which they would prefer. There is a longstanding history of people crafting structures for assessing quality that fit their own preferences, and then applying such criteria to rationalize condemnation of that which does not score highly in the context of the criteria they crafted.
The original premise behind many of the cable channels was to create programming that was exclusively about a specific subject. If I pay for a channel that is supposed to be about animals,then I want it to be about animals, or history, or travel, etc. This is one of the reasons why cable is losing subscribers. Let's see if Amazon Prime or Netflix develop an original reality type of program and how well it does. Put that on Amazon's purchase or rent per episode video streaming website and see how many people will pay for each episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 06:26 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
There are a few reasons,

-It's overplayed as a genre.

It started with Survivor or the Amazing Race. Or, if you really want to go back, maybe the Real World on MTV in the early 90's. Now, there are 35 shows that all look the same. Reality stars seem to get more annoying as time goes on.

-Reality tv is actually very scripted. I don't think it would get so much hate if there was some truth in advertising. People don't like being lied to.

-It seems like the lowest common denominator keeps getting lower. Remember when Beavis and Butthead made headlines? Weren't there congressional hearings over it? Parents groups up in arms? It seems tame by todays standards.

I think reality tv now is hated because its so in your face. All, the "drama", "shocking revelations", etc, it wears on people.

Judge Wapner years ago was reality tv. People enjoyed that. It was sensible. There was no drama. Look how the court shows have changed from The Peoples Court with Judge Wapner, to Judge Judy or any of the other ones. It's a slow motion train wreck and dram now.

It seems like the term "reality tv" has been overplayed to sell tv shows. Many are game shows or variety shows. But that doesn't sound "cool" or marketable. So they label everything reality tv, even if it isn't.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:42 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The original premise behind many of the cable channels was to create programming that was exclusively about a specific subject.
There was a time when that was the correct direction. Then came YouTube and other means by which such niche interests can be served more efficiently (read: less costly). The path forward for cable networks is no longer narrow-casting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This is one of the reasons why cable is losing subscribers.
Indeed: Because technology has provided less costly way to satisfy the demand that some cable networks were satisfying. The problem is that it doesn't really get us further down the path with the discussion. The key is that the high profit potential is gone because the product is no longer rare. So there are two choices: Lose the entire investment by terminating operations entirely, or try to find a new path forward given the limitations of cost inherent in the limitations on profit potential. Why would anyone think the former is better than the latter?

Old 06-19-2015, 04:51 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
There are a few reasons
Reasons for why people don't enjoy reality television, perhaps, but how are these reasons for the kind of hate being discussed?

Quote:
It started with Survivor or the Amazing Race.
It started with Monday Night Football. Or perhaps before that. Let's not arbitrarily draw a line because one likes or respects what's on one side of the line - that's subjectivity bias.

Quote:
Reality stars seem to get more annoying as time goes on.
That's a reflection of us, the viewers. We're no longer satisfied by what used to capture our attention in the past. We've become jaded. Television - all leisure activity, for that matter - is like drug. As time goes on, it is necessary to take a more potent dose to have the same effect (i.e., generate the same profit).

Quote:
Reality tv is actually very scripted. I don't think it would get so much hate if there was some truth in advertising. People don't like being lied to.
I think part of the problem is that people are making up promises that no one actually made to them. Let's take American Ninja Warrior, since that's a recent reality program. First: Show how it is scripted. Second: Show how that contradicts what the producer or network has said about the program.

Quote:
It seems like the lowest common denominator keeps getting lower.
Again, that's just a commentary on us, the viewers, not the programming, which is simply reflecting our attitudes and behaviors.

Quote:
I think reality tv now is hated because its so in your face. All, the "drama", "shocking revelations", etc, it wears on people.
That's still doesn't justify hate. It only justifies turning on something else.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:20 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Are shows like American Ninja Warrior "reality"? I consider them more junk sports. Instead of paying the Highland games a fee you just create your own sports. Like CBS did back in the day with the greatest bouncer competition which gave us Mr.T.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
There are people who will hate anything, just for the sake of expressing their feelings. Doesn't matter if it's regarding a tv show, a book, movie, another person, etc.

Reality shows are not truly 'real' because any time a camera is recording people they are not 100% acting the same way they would without being filmed.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Are shows like American Ninja Warrior "reality"?
Yes. Generally, they have four leaders, one responsible for scripted programming, one responsible for non-scripted programming, one responsible for news and one responsible for sports. American Ninja Warrior is non-scripted programming (not sports).

Old 06-19-2015, 01:46 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,202 times
its mostly bogus, who really believes those two drive all over the country in that diesel guzzling van to find a few antiques?? or that people fly in from all over the country to get pennies on the dollar for rare museum quality items at some sleazy pawn shop?? and american idol is the biggest joke of all.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Reasons for why people don't enjoy reality television, perhaps, but how are these reasons for the kind of hate being discussed?

It started with Monday Night Football. Or perhaps before that. Let's not arbitrarily draw a line because one likes or respects what's on one side of the line - that's subjectivity bias.

That's a reflection of us, the viewers. We're no longer satisfied by what used to capture our attention in the past. We've become jaded. Television - all leisure activity, for that matter - is like drug. As time goes on, it is necessary to take a more potent dose to have the same effect (i.e., generate the same profit).

I think part of the problem is that people are making up promises that no one actually made to them. Let's take American Ninja Warrior, since that's a recent reality program. First: Show how it is scripted. Second: Show how that contradicts what the producer or network has said about the program.

Again, that's just a commentary on us, the viewers, not the programming, which is simply reflecting our attitudes and behaviors.

That's still doesn't justify hate. It only justifies turning on something else.
Why reality tv gets so much hate:

-The drama, personality clashes and egos don't really amount to anything in the end. A good example of this is American Idol. That show was promoted endlessly, it was on for 13 or 14 years, and in the end, the judges (i.e. simon cowell) became more popular than the talent. How many stars were created on that show? About 5? Many of the 2nd and 3rd place finishers faded off into oblivion.

A lot of these shows don't really amount to anything in the end.

-The people on reality tv get more and more fake.

I use to like MTV's real world when it had some semblance of normalcy, the first 5 or 6 seasons. Every episode wasn't about hooking up or partying then. The first few seasons dealt with some good topics like AIDS in san francisco (real world san francisco), race relations, and generally growing up and life in your early 20's. Now every episode is about partying and sex.

I think people are tired of the drama, and "controversy" just to get eyeballs and ratings. I think the genre is about played out.

It reminds me a little of the home video craze in the early 90's. I remember when america's funniest home videos was very popular. Then it spawned many imitators. Similar with game shows in the late 90's.

Who wants to be a millionaire was a monster hit with Regis Philbin. Then we got, The Weakest Link, lol? Remember that. Are you smarter than a 5th grader.

Now it's pawning and competition shows.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,086 times
Yeah there is hate towards reality shows but then again it is about the same with other TV shows, heck other media as well such as...

"Today game shows suck..bring back Bob Barker !!"
"Today's movies suck..I can remember...( insert whatever )"...
"The talk shows today suck..bring back Phil Donahue !!"....
"Radio sucks....wish my radio station had a local dj on the air at 3am..damn that Iheart Media !!"
"Today's TV news sucks..I miss Huntley & Brinkley !!".
"Today's music sucks..I miss ( again insert whatever )".
..and so forth.

...and the beat goes on and on and on.

Last edited by tantan1968; 06-21-2015 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV