Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 04:48 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times

Advertisements

When my dad died, it wasn't on a significant day, but my Mom and the rest of us focus on his birthday, not his deathday. Early on (he died in 2005) we tried to get together and commemorate him on his deathday, but it was too sad for us. And too, shall I say, "concentrated" on his death.

He was born in May and died in October. May is when we remember and celebrate him the most. I can totally understand why associating his death with a significant event makes sense, even though it's not the exact anniversary. For my Dad, it was his birthday that was significant to us.

If Jack (or your loved one) loved Superbowl Sunday (or any other day of importance to the deceased), then it's totally appropriate to remember and mourn him on his favorite day.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
My dad who was combat medic in WWII died on Veterans'
Day more than 10 yrs ago now but every anniversary Very meaningful for me

Old 02-05-2018, 07:37 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
My dad passed away in 1989 on my birthday. Took me several years to get passed that. But thankfully I have.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:44 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
I was perplexed that no friends or neighbors showed up after the fire or at the hospital.
Really odd that Rebecca drove home after Jack died all alone.

Also when did they call the fire dept ?
The whole family was watching for Jack to come back out but I never saw anyone call for help.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
Not a death, but a wedding. My dad and stepmom were married on Sweetest Day (dumb fake Valentine-ish holiday in October that is apparently only celebrated in the Midwest and eastern Great Lakes regions.) She always considered their anniversary to be Sweetest Day, not the actual date. I find this lame. However, with a death, I can see where it would be a natural thing.

I didn't shed a tear during Sunday's episode. It was pretty much everything I suspected. Now Tuesday night? I expect to be bawling.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,251,344 times
Being as we have all waited months for that it was a bit anticlimactic to me.
The best scene in the whole show for me was when Randall started the eulogy for the dead lizzard and Beth realized when it wasn't about the lizzard any more. That was some good TV right there.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:36 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Being as we have all waited months for that it was a bit anticlimactic to me.
The best scene in the whole show for me was when Randall started the eulogy for the dead lizzard and Beth realized when it wasn't about the lizzard any more. That was some good TV right there.
I felt the same way. It was pretty anticlimactic. I think the fact that it was after an event like the super bowl, combined with the fact that they built it up so much and you already knew it was coming. There wasn’t a whole lot of a surprise about how it happened.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
It may have seemed anticlimactic to those of us on this forum because much of how it actually played out has been proposed already.

But to others, it might have really been a thrillride.

"So THAT'S why Kate blames herself and has issues with dogs and football!"

Etc, etc.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:13 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Watched the show last night, and it was indeed climatic for me, cried like a snibbeling baby. It was done very well....love the writers of this show. Actually loved everything about it....

I really don't care how long it took them to get to this phase of their lives, very much enjoyed the show all the way thru. I believe it's the best written show on TV by far....

So much enjoy how they show how Jack's life, affected so many other lives....and how the kids and his wife have chosen to remember him on the day of his death.

I was actually shocked at how he did die...but it surely makes sense....you could see he was having problems, shifting back and forth, however, in my own mind, seriously thought he'd pass out, and be in ICU, for a while before his death. His demise shocked me but it made sense the way the doctor explained it.

Loved the part where Kevin was sitting under the tree and called his mom and said, "I don't even know if this is the tree?" LOL

Loved when Kate was describing all of Jack's unselfish character, and she equated her Toby to be just like Jack.

What I didn't like is the fact that they all, even Rebecca, held him up in high regard, even many years after his death and actually made Miquel go somewhere else to watch super bowl day, instead of celebrating it with her or together. To me, that is wrong, but what a couple decided to agree upon is certainly not for me to judge, especially if Miquel is ok with it. Miquel is one very special understanding man, and Rebecca needs to acknowledge that, and stop with placing Jack before him.

Loved the way Randall finally had a talk with his oldest daughter....and told her, she is so important to him. Reminded me so much of how we take our loved ones for granted...getting all caught up in our busy lives...and those moments pass by so quickly. also very much enjoyed the way they shot to the future, and showed her as a child care social worker herself....that made me cry...sheeesh....

but best of all, loved that Beth received a phone call and she was standing outside their front door. I knew she'd return, and their older daughter watching from the stairs, and then walking up to her room, smiling with so much maturity and understanding.

It was and always will be to me, and exceptionally well written show.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:20 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
It will be interesting to find out why Deja was there. Is her mother in trouble again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV