Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,918,509 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about main characters, and I'm not talking about supporting actors you like. Just the character in the TV series who is not one of the primary characters. For example, you can't say "George Costanza" (a main character), or Julia Louis-Dreyfus (a main actor), but you can say "Newman" since he's a secondary character.

Who, in your opinion, are/were the best (most entertaining, likable, unlikable, funny, clever, etc) secondary characters in TV shows?

My favorite is Zoey on Nurse Jackie. No clue who the actress is. Don't care. But the Zoey character is brilliantly quirky and deliciously dorky. I love her.

Another favorite of mine was Dr. Robert Romano on ER (the bald, self-important jerk who had him arm cut off by helicopter, then was later killed by another helicopter.) I loved him. Once in while you would see his softer human side, and it was such a contrast to his usual demeanor.

I also love Richard Harrow on Boardwalk Empire. He's the hit man who has to wear a mask because his face was disfigured in the war. I only watch Boardwalk Empire on DVD, so I have not seen the current season, and now he seems to be listed as a "main character." But in the seasons I saw he was a secondary character. He has many layers and is tragically conflicted.

Who are your favorite secondary TV characters, past or present?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,156,615 times
I liked Lionel on "All in the Family." He would put a double meaning into everything he said to Archie, and it all went rocketing over Archie's head, leaving him of the opinion that Lionel was a fine young conservative fellow.

Carlton the Doorman on "Rhoda" was always funny, as was Mr. Carlton, Bob Newhart's most befuddled patient on the "Bob Newhart Show."

Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,095,000 times
I liked Torpedoeman Lester Gruber on McHale's Navy...man that guy was always up to something wasn't he!? he later hacked his neighbor to bits with a scythe I heard

Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,887,954 times
Older:
Don Knotts as Barney Fyfe on Andy Griffith Show.... few may know he was a very serious/admired actor prior to his goofey character on the show.

Desmond Wilson as Lamont on Sanford and Son...AND LaWanda Page as Aunt Esther on the show. OG she was funny.

Gary Burghoff as Radar on MASH

Newer:
Mae Whitman as Amber on Parenthood AND Monica Potter as Kristina Braverman on the show.

Alan Cumming as Eli on The Good Wife...AND Archie Panjabi as Kalinda Sharma on the show.

Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman on Breaking Bad

Old 12-07-2012, 04:24 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,545,548 times
Lafayette on True Blood.
Larry, Dharma's dad on Dharma & Greg.
Pete and Jane, Dharma & Greg's wacky friends.
Larry, Daryl, and Daryl on Newhart.
Angel, Rockford's pesky lowlife friend, on Rockford Files.
Christian Shephard on Lost.

edit: and Eddie Haskell on Leave it to Beaver.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 12-07-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 PM

8,077 posts, read 4,754,746 times
Corky Sherwood on Murphy Brown. I recall a favorite scene where she was allowed to interview some corrupt politician, and the anchors feared she would turn it into a fluff piece. Instead, she went right for the jugular and amazed all the more "seasoned" reporters like Murphy.

I am unsure I ought to mention Karen Walker of Will and Grace, since she was supposed to be a supporting character, but within a few years the two supporting characters (Karen and Jack) were almost as prominent as the two leads. But Karen was a trip and a half.

Similarly, Mary Ann Thorpe of Cybill wasalways fun and tossed off the bitchy one-liners about her lousy ex with glee.

Laverne Todd, Harry's smart-mouthed nurse on Empty Nest, always managed to say all the things we were thinking about Harry's neurotic daughters. All while never really managing to smile.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,511,593 times
I agree. Zoey! She almost steals it!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,155,272 times
Monroe, on Grimm.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,530,019 times
Richard Harrow on Boardwalk Empire.
Fascinating to watch.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,283,461 times
Cyrus and Mellie on Scandal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV