Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 12:20 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times

Advertisements

I'm partial to the Star Trek series. Original to Next Generation to Voyager. I know some were tried a few years ago like V. It apparently failed. But maybe something again? Yes - No ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
THE EXPANSE on SyFy isn't bad. I have yet to see the awesome greatness in it that so many others do, but it's definitely not bad.

THE MIST is on its way, though it looks to be more in the horror vein than science fiction.

CBS has a new Star Trek in the works, but it seems to be a train wreck in the making. In fact, the whole Star Trek franchise seems to be floundering at the moment.

But yes, I would love a great new science fiction TV show. I would love something more along the lines of STAR WARS or BLADE RUNNER than STAR TREK. I'm a little tired of Horatio Hornblower in space. But hey, as long as it's good, that's all that really matters.

And I still see that DUNE ought to be an HBO series rather than a movie. That book has way too much depth to cram into even a 3 hour movie.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:39 AM

12,388 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Perhaps the Stargate franchise but it is heavier in combat scenes. What aspect of Star Trek? The weekly morality play with the aliens. The crew interaction among the main cast. Shipboard life.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I liked Firefly.

Also Dark Matter's first season was good.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM

735 posts, read 1,171,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THE EXPANSE on SyFy isn't bad. I have yet to see the awesome greatness in it that so many others do, but it's definitely not bad.

THE MIST is on its way, though it looks to be more in the horror vein than science fiction.

CBS has a new Star Trek in the works, but it seems to be a train wreck in the making. In fact, the whole Star Trek franchise seems to be floundering at the moment.

But yes, I would love a great new science fiction TV show. I would love something more along the lines of STAR WARS or BLADE RUNNER than STAR TREK. I'm a little tired of Horatio Hornblower in space. But hey, as long as it's good, that's all that really matters.

And I still see that DUNE ought to be an HBO series rather than a movie. That book has way too much depth to cram into even a 3 hour movie.
I agree the new Star Trek sounds like it is going to be another train wreck. For one they need to get over their fixation with the past and focus on what happened after the conclusion of Voyager and Deep Space 9. Or maybe flash forward a century and see what has become of the Alpha Quadrant.

The Stargate franchise (which I loved) ended with the awful Stargate Universe. They do need to resurrect that franchise with another series.

How about this for a concept:

Stargate Infinity
Have it take place a couple centuries into the future where a primitive tribal alien culture discovers a gate on their planet and starts exploring the universe and the viewers find out what happened to the characters of the first three series.

Another series that needs to be rebooted is Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, but do it right this time. (That was a great series for a season and a half before infighting behind the scenes ruined it.)

Or how about integrating the plot of Andromeda into Star Trek: Centuries in the future the United Federation of Planets has fallen done in by some horrible menace. Now one captain has decided to rekindle the light of civilization by trying to restart the Federation of Planets. Viewers would see what has become of the races of the Star Trek universe as the captain tries to convince worlds to join.

Those are some ideas, but I doubt that any of the show runners of those franchises are reading this thread.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
I agree the new Star Trek sounds like it is going to be another train wreck. For one they need to get over their fixation with the past and focus on what happened after the conclusion of Voyager and Deep Space 9. Or maybe flash forward a century and see what has become of the Alpha Quadrant.

The Stargate franchise (which I loved) ended with the awful Stargate Universe. They do need to resurrect that franchise with another series.

How about this for a concept:

Stargate Infinity
Have it take place a couple centuries into the future where a primitive tribal alien culture discovers a gate on their planet and starts exploring the universe and the viewers find out what happened to the characters of the first three series.

Another series that needs to be rebooted is Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, but do it right this time. (That was a great series for a season and a half before infighting behind the scenes ruined it.)

Or how about integrating the plot of Andromeda into Star Trek: Centuries in the future the United Federation of Planets has fallen done in by some horrible menace. Now one captain has decided to rekindle the light of civilization by trying to restart the Federation of Planets. Viewers would see what has become of the races of the Star Trek universe as the captain tries to convince worlds to join.

Those are some ideas, but I doubt that any of the show runners of those franchises are reading this thread.
I think a trek series which takes place after the Dominion War would be very good. It was the saltshaker which tore up their neat, and orderly society. Many Federation worlds were occupied or brutalized and as a general war, one they hadn't had for a long time, they all came out different people. DS9 embodied this beautifully, but the books which happen after give a much darker version of their ordered universe. They were the biggest kid on the block. Now they aren't and those who sat back and waited have their chance. And after the Dominion war, they didn't just go home or back to ships devoted to peace and exploration and back to normal, but had to begin defending themselves immediately.

Sisko sort of suggests this at the end of DS9. The movies have mostly sidestepped the details, but the books show an empire beginning to crumble. And Federation citizens who have had to learn how to survive, and haven't forgotten either. They like places like Bajor, now live in reality.

There's one book where Beverly Crusher and her small ship are called out to find and help the refugees who stopped on this small planet. They have what supplies they have. They find thousands of refugees who made it that far and got stranded. Sickness is rife. They are on the verge of an epidemic. People are sleeping in tents if they are lucky, some just on the ground. Several potential epidemics are starting. She has enough for a few, but no more. It's when the real state of their world comes crashing down to them.

The other element is that the war hardened people in control see a few thousand or so people who stranded on a planet as incendental, and not likely to really fix it. So they'd rather use them for something closer home which might last, or be of use to themselves. And even at the end of the book, the reality that most of the refugees will have to stay and make themselves a new home and a tentative cooperation from the natives, something neither really wants, the lofty goals of the Federation feel far away and of a different place. But its going to repeat in a lot of other places too.

The book is one of a series called "A Time to" and I'll have to locate it, but the story is also used in the Destiny series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV