Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 02:47 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Say WHAT?

Beats me. All I can say to that is: "Shaka, when the walls fell!" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 02:47 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattedCOdude View Post
I like the show and feel it's finding its feet. I especially appreciate the mundane life-stuff they throw in, in between the "real" drama. Like walking towards the new alien species and having a quick interaction about using fake names. Adds nothing to the story, but a bit of light humor and maybe something somebody would say to lighten the gravitas of the moment. Or the bridge bros talking about their love lives and other commiserations. In other words all the little life events that don't usually merit script time. I like what MacFarlane is doing here.
That's one of my favorite things as well.
It feels like an actual work environment and I really appreciate that.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:25 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It was the first time that anyone made contact with that particular civilization.

Good episode.
Yes, I had a few quibbles here and there, but overall I enjoyed it.
Well, I submit that applying the term to any and all 'first contacts" by humans with other worlds subsequent to the very first one renders it a largely meaningless term. We could, with equal validity, apply the term to each and every time we meet a person for the first time.

I believe that the original intention was for "First Contact" to mean only the very first contact outside of our earth.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I like the series, but thought last night's episode was disappointing. It just seemed like they throw together whatever story they want with zero regard for whether it makes sense. Actually, they do this every week, but most of the time it flies. I thought last night sunk (and stunk).

It just didn't make any sense that this new world, this First Contact, would keep the two officers as prisoners. Surely the argument that "we'll take them back and leave you alone forever" would have forced them to give them back. Why keep Giliacs from another species?

Also, the end, where they are literally counting down the firing squad, One...Two...wait, there's a new star in the sky, stop everything. Ok, let's let 'em go. Made. No. Sense.

I realize this show takes great liberties with truth & logic in its story telling. And for the most part, I'm okay with that. But I thought last night was just so glaringly stupid as to take me out of the moment.
Well said and that's how I saw it. Not the worst episode, but left much to be desired.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 01-25-2019 at 04:37 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 04:32 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well, I submit that applying the term to any and all 'first contacts" by humans with other worlds subsequent to the very first one renders it a largely meaningless term. We could, with equal validity, apply the term to each and every time we meet a person for the first time.

I believe that the original intention was for "First Contact" to mean only the very first contact outside of our earth.
It was first contact for the people of that "earth."

They had not been visited by anyone outside of their galaxy before.

I don't understand why that wouldn't/shouldn't count as a "First Contact?"

I believe it absolutely would be when looking at things from their perspective.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It was first contact for the people of that "earth."

They had not been visited by anyone outside of their galaxy before.

I don't understand why that wouldn't/shouldn't count as a "First Contact?"

I believe it absolutely would be when looking at things from their perspective.
Ok, it could well be their first contact., so I see your point. I didn't take it to be meant that way on the show, but I could be wrong. But that would be the only other valid use of the term.

I'm just saying it wasn't our first contact....or earths....however you want to put it.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:17 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Don't forget that The Orville is not Star Trek. "First Contact" on The Orville means what The Orville says it means, not what it meant on Star Trek.

For The Orville, "First Contact" appears to refer to the first time any Union entity makes official contact with a new species, which might be expected to happen several times for an exploration vessel.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:54 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
Oh my goodness. I can't believe I bothered to read this whole thread. It's 90% whining about what it is or isn't and whether or not it's actually funny, or if is even should be funny....

I am loving the show! It's a nice getaway from life and the world. Seth MacFarlane cracks me up and always has - I love all of his shows (we watch them all the time) and my husband's favorite movie is Ted.

We are (obviously) simple to please. Regardless, thank goodness for this fun little gem of a show to take us out of our own heads ever week!

Old 01-26-2019, 09:17 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Don't forget that The Orville is not Star Trek. "First Contact" on The Orville means what The Orville says it means, not what it meant on Star Trek.

For The Orville, "First Contact" appears to refer to the first time any Union entity makes official contact with a new species, which might be expected to happen several times for an exploration vessel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

It had the same meaning on Star Trek, and I think someone would have to be a little thick to not understand what it means in this context or why. Or they're being a little obtuse.

Anyway, I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to buy this episode. They didn't bother to study this culture for a bit before bopping down to say hello? And these 20th-century troglodytes have no concern there could be consequences for kidnapping two crew members from a far more technologically superior people, such as their space ship might leave a smoldering crater where their city used to be?

Old 01-26-2019, 03:59 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
You guys think too much!

It's just a tv show for gosh sakes... Just watch it and enjoy it. If you can't stop over-analyzing everything, just don't watch it.

It's all the more appropriate for me to post this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUL7q8eyig8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV