Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 07:42 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It had the same meaning on Star Trek, and I think someone would have to be a little thick to not understand what it means in this context or why. Or they're being a little obtuse.

Anyway, I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to buy this episode. They didn't bother to study this culture for a bit before bopping down to say hello?
They've done that before with a similar result. You're right, it makes no sense that they wouldn't spend a pretty good amount of time studying the cultures of a world before making contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 08:39 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,250,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
You guys think too much!

It's just a tv show for gosh sakes... Just watch it and enjoy it. If you can't stop over-analyzing everything, just don't watch it.
Yes and no. I'm a firm believer in just watching, and not over analyzing. But when a show has plot lines that make you slap your head and go WTF, then the writers aren't doing their job.

There have been many episodes where they do things that don't make sense, or get in situations they shouldn't get in. And I think many of us just accept it; that's the way The Orville is. But this episode was off the charts gonzo. Sooo many situations that even a fifth grader wouldn't accept.

There is a difference between nitpicking, and plot holes so big you can drive a starship thru them.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:00 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,100,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yes and no. I'm a firm believer in just watching, and not over analyzing. But when a show has plot lines that make you slap your head and go WTF, then the writers aren't doing their job.

There have been many episodes where they do things that don't make sense, or get in situations they shouldn't get in. And I think many of us just accept it; that's the way The Orville is. But this episode was off the charts gonzo. Sooo many situations that even a fifth grader wouldn't accept.

There is a difference between nitpicking, and plot holes so big you can drive a starship thru them.
I agree with you up to a point. That point comes into play when I consider that The Orville is a comedy spoof of better SciFy programs, and I am expected to suspend disbelief from time to time. Did you hate Spaceballs?

At the same time, I think it is good for the genre, be it SciFy or comedy, to point out plot holes, so that more serious directors can see what they need to avoid, if they are serious in their work. I like to think the some people from the industry are reading here to get ideas or improve their output.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:49 PM

10,016 posts, read 5,720,569 times
Quote:
You guys think too much!

It's just a tv show for gosh sakes... Just watch it and enjoy it. If you can't stop over-analyzing everything, just don't watch it.
Uhm... excuse us but we get to analyze it and decide on our own terms, not yours, whether we like it or not. Buzz off.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:56 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,031,651 times
Quote:
Uhm... excuse us but we get to analyze it and decide on our own terms, not yours, whether we like it or not. Buzz off.
It's my thread, sorry, I'm staying.

I'm just saying why over-analyze it so much to the point you notice the ridiculousness of it all? The whole idea of all this sort of thing happening with starships and the like is ridiculous in the first place.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:08 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
It's my thread, sorry, I'm staying.

I'm just saying why over-analyze it so much to the point you notice the ridiculousness of it all? The whole idea of all this sort of thing happening with starships and the like is ridiculous in the first place.
Wash: "Psychic? That sounds like something out of science fiction."
Zoe: "We live in a spaceship, dear."

Old 01-28-2019, 12:19 AM

977 posts, read 1,111,176 times
Astrohip, I appreciate your comment about this latest episode. I thought, what the heck?? Didn't Kelly and cohort actually kill some of the guards? How would that be acceptable, and why would the planet's leader let them go then? Even if no one died, they did shoot a lot of them.....I thought there had to be some explanation coming. I usually like the show and enjoy some of the silliness, but was really dumbfounded by this one.....

Old 01-28-2019, 08:29 AM

14 posts, read 8,180 times
It's amazing how English is the universal language.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,747,334 times
Quote:
It had the same meaning on Star Trek, and I think someone would have to be a little thick to not understand what it means in this context or why. Or they're being a little obtuse.

Anyway, I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to buy this episode. They didn't bother to study this culture for a bit before bopping down to say hello? And these 20th-century troglodytes have no concern there could be consequences for kidnapping two crew members from a far more technologically superior people, such as their space ship might leave a smoldering crater where their city used to be?
No, it did not. And I'd suggest you limit your snide commentary to topics you are up to speed on.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 AM

17,658 posts, read 15,352,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I agree with you up to a point. That point comes into play when I consider that The Orville is a comedy spoof of better SciFy programs, and I am expected to suspend disbelief from time to time. Did you hate Spaceballs?

But.. Which one is it?

Spaceballs (and Galaxy Quest) was a spoof. Plain and simple, no questions about it.

The Orville.. Is it a spoof or is it sci-fi with comedy?

I think most of us consider it the latter, and I think it wants to be the latter. And if that's the case.. You can't do things that you would in a spoof so far as 'suspend disbelief'

They are walking a line with it. If they go too far in either direction, they're going to lose some of the viewers who are in it for the other direction. People who want a spoof are going to leave if it's too sci-fi and vice versa.

I've enjoyed the balance. I think it's a sci-fi show with comedy elements. And I would agree that there are some higher standards with the story when it is that way.

I totally agree that there were.. Multiple holes in this plot, which did take some of the enjoyment away. I thought it was still a decent episode.. But.. Several problems I had with it.. Like they'd just let any old ship make first contact with a civilization. Like they'd initiate communication knowing nothing about the culture. Like they'd make contact based solely on a radio signal.. I mean, technically, we could argue that the Vulcan first contact in Star Trek was tiptoeing a line, but I think they had established that the Vulcans had studied Earth, but didn't make contact until the warp barrier was broken.

If you 'just show up'.. The odds are more that you get the Enterprise version of First Contact vs what happened in Star Trek:First Contact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV