Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,081,755 times

Advertisements

I watched the first episode of the show and interested to see how it ends, especially since I read that fans found the series finale to be polarizing. Please don't tell me what happens!

However, I was wondering if I need to watch the entire series to understand the finale. Some shows you don't. For example, a show like Perry Mason, every episode almost, is a completely different court case and you don't need to watch them all to understand the series finale. Same with Columbo, or something like that.

But is Dexter the same way, where every episode almost deals with a different case, or is it all very continuous, and I need to watch the whole series to absorb the ending?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 08:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,032,635 times
Just pretend it ends after the Lithgow season. It's a ****fest afterwards.

Without giving anything away, I can tell you it has one of the most universally hated endings of any series.

I don't think that you need to watch the series to understand the ending, in fact watching the series will make the ending even more infuriating.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 PM

291 posts, read 336,727 times
Great show. I'd watch it again just to see Julie Benz again.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:15 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,081,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Just pretend it ends after the Lithgow season. It's a ****fest afterwards.

Without giving anything away, I can tell you it has one of the most universally hated endings of any series.

I don't think that you need to watch the series to understand the ending, in fact watching the series will make the ending even more infuriating.
Hmm this kind of makes me want to see the ending even more now.

To compare, I decided to watch the entire series of Breaking Bad, and I feel watching the whole series was necessary to appreciate it because the protagonist undergoes pretty much a complete 180 character transformation, over the course of the show, and there are several plot points to keep pushing it.

I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending of Breaking Bad, and felt it was still good, but could have been better, but I still feel as though I needed to see every episode to appreciate the ending, even as pretty good.

Would I need to do that with Dexter?

Old 01-26-2018, 09:16 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

To compare, I decided to watch the entire series of Breaking Bad, and I feel watching the whole series was necessary to appreciate it because the protagonist undergoes pretty much a complete 180 character transformation, over the course of the show, and there are several plot points to keep pushing it.

I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending of Breaking Bad, and felt it was still good, but could have been better, but I still feel as though I needed to see every episode to appreciate the ending, even as pretty good.

I say don't waste your time. The show should have ended after the whole Trinity storyline. The series ended badly and frankly it was a travesty what they did to that show.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,609,542 times
Why do you want to understand the end? No one understands the end. It was horrible. But yeah, I think you would need to watch the show and love it to understand why the ending was horrible. That should be extremely obvious.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I say don't waste your time. The show should have ended after the whole Trinity storyline. The series ended badly and frankly it was a travesty what they did to that show.
Agreed about the Lithgow season. It was about as perfect a season as any show has ever had. Showtime seems to enjoy ruining good shows.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

Dexter doesn't have a huge Walter White transformation. The reason I said you didn't have to watch is bc he's essentially the same person throughout the series. He has some growth but it's not profound, Imo. His reasoning behind the ending could have been his reasoning in episode 2, for all intents and purposes.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:47 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,866,857 times
Watch the series because it is really good. The ending was terrible but that doesn't take away from the series in general.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:17 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,480,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Watch the series because it is really good. The ending was terrible but that doesn't take away from the series in general.

I would watch the show all over again even though there was some not so great writing for some later seasons, but, I just enjoyed seeing the really evil people meeting their demise, it compensated.

I don't know that you need to watch all of the show to enjoy it, but, there are some crucial story-lines you might miss if you want to better understand who and how his character emerged to who he is. Not vital info, if you don't care about all the intricacies, you could skip to the end. However, you will be left quite confused if you skip just to the last episode in the series.

I wasn't thrilled with the ending, for a few reasons, but, after absorbing it, I was satisfied with Dexter's ending scene even though there were other ways it could have gone.

When, in the future, I do watch it again, I will likely skip over some of the episodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV