Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:26 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This stupid "update" is the worst I have ever dealt with. The interface is still incredibly hard to use, but now, it's glitchier than when it was first released. My recordings keep disappearing. I'll go to watch something, turn the TV on, and POOF! gone. Turn the TV off and back on and it's still gone. If I reset the receiver it comes back, but that's very slow and the if I want to record something the time isn't set yet because it still has to load. I have plenty of storage (at least 40%). When I delete a show, if I'm not careful, it will back out of that show's list and delete something completely different. I am ready to cancel. After the update was first released, I got a discount for 12 months. When that's over, I'm going to another company. Is anyone else having these problems? I called the company, and they just say they are releasing a patch eventually and to keep resetting the receiver
Yes, the disappearing shows syndrome! It is so frustrating to have the show one moment and gone the next. There are times that they can be found on a different menu, but not always, only to reappear later (after turning the tv on again) or they are really gone forever.

We also have times that a recorded show will just freeze. Not just for a moment, but we have to fast forward and when it finally starts again a good 3-5 minutes have been missed.

Once, the system had to be reset remotely and we lost everything on the dvr - not only all of the recorded shows, but even the list of shows we wanted recorded (60 or so shows/series). We could not remember all of them and missed a couple of episodes of some until we realized they had started up again (then we had to watch some On Demand with all the commercials).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 09:32 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
They will eventually force the update on you and you can't opt out. I got it in May 2018. Even without the glitches, I never got used to the new design. With most updates on every device, I get used to the changes even if I didn't care for them. With this one, I have never gotten used to it. The new design has made every task more difficult, taken more steps to accomplish, and the print on the interface is a much smaller font and hard to read.
THIS! I can't believe how many more steps I need to take just to go to the Apps or On Demand and find something I actually want.

The update removed some things that were actually useful, like being able to look at a specific future date and time in the Guide, and to see all upcoming episodes of a show. Now you have to click-click-click on the guide to go ahead just 12 hours at a time and it takes forever to get to the following week, and if you ask to see other episodes of the show you're interested in, it will only show the exact episode that you clicked on, not future episodes.

Who designed this? Satan?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:15 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,145 times
This morning, I noticed there had been an update. They changed the size and placement of the graphic that shows up when I hit the fast forward. Also, when I put the recording I was watching on pause for a couple of minutes, instead of the DirecTV logo bouncing around, the screen saver showed (admittedly gorgeous) images of national parks, the current temperature, and the time.

My question: Instead of paying someone to make cosmetic changes, can't they do something about the fact that I cannot delete saved series from my "Record" list, even though the series has been cancelled for a year and there are no more episodes to record? Or provide a remote where I can check on how much time is left in the episode I'm watching without having to pause it?

Old 01-17-2019, 01:23 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
This morning, I noticed there had been an update. They changed the size and placement of the graphic that shows up when I hit the fast forward. Also, when I put the recording I was watching on pause for a couple of minutes, instead of the DirecTV logo bouncing around, the screen saver showed (admittedly gorgeous) images of national parks, the current temperature, and the time.

My question: Instead of paying someone to make cosmetic changes, can't they do something about the fact that I cannot delete saved series from my "Record" list, even though the series has been cancelled for a year and there are no more episodes to record? Or provide a remote where I can check on how much time is left in the episode I'm watching without having to pause it?
I noticed that too. It's a much better "pause & FF graphic", not near as big as before. However, the "where you are" indicator is a circle, and big enough to block a 15/30 minute hash marker. Just make it a simple line .

I don't have the scenic screen saver, still the bouncing logo. I also have no Internet, so it's satellite only. Wonder if that's the difference?

Are you talking about deleting the Season Pass for a series, or the recordings themselves? Either way, I can delete them . More deets please.

Would *love* to have a time left ability. I can do this on my TiVos, by simply hitting the play button while it's playing. It has no effect, other than to show the progress bar. And yes, on DirecTV, that makes it pause, a PITA. Good request!

I've said it before, does ANYONE really ask for user feedback before making some of these changes?

Old 01-17-2019, 02:11 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I've said it before, does ANYONE really ask for user feedback before making some of these changes?
I used to work with software developers. One of the problems is designers may only work on their small piece of the product and often are not involved in system testing. Many times I have seen things get in a released version, where if anyone had actually tried the product, they would have immediately seen the issue(s).

Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
There is a years long thread on disappearing recording on the AT&T forums. This is the thread about recorded shows or series not showing up on the list of recorded shows and the latest update.

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-DV...628445/page/35

Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 AM

50,784 posts, read 24,289,888 times
I'm enjoying this thread. Makes Comcast seem so much better!

Old 01-20-2019, 09:03 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,723,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
There is a years long thread on disappearing recording on the AT&T forums. This is the thread about recorded shows or series not showing up on the list of recorded shows and the latest update.

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-DV...628445/page/35
If you are a Directv/Dish sub you really need to be checking this site.

https://www.dbstalk.com/community/in...-discussion.7/

They are probably the gold standard when it comes to sat discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 10:52 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post

Thanks for this reminder. While I've been a member of DBSTalk since (run off to check...) 2007 , I don't check in often.

I've added a couple of their forum* to my daily "check on these forum" bookmarks.

* I know Fora is the plural for Forum, but I've never been a fan of that word. There's no reason forum can't be singular or plural, in my esteemed opinion.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post

Thanks for the link! I had no idea about this site.

I tried to rep you, but I've got to spread it around!

Directv seems to have restored my recordings, but now it seems to "freeze" while recording and I have to ff to get past the freeze. Annoying. It was so much better before AT&T bought them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV