Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 03:28 PM

37,736 posts, read 46,199,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
That's where my roof antenna is located.
I get 40 channels. About a dozen unfortunately are home shopping channels. I scan for new ones every night. I always feel like I struck gold when I find a new channel that wasn't there before, can't wait to check it out on the internet to find out what kind of shows they carry. Every year or so I have to climb up in the attic, check to make sure there are no bats or yellow jackets up there, and turn my antenna a degree or two for adjustment.
I never change mine. Thankfully all our channels come from one basic direction.

But I go in my attic often. It’s where I keep all my decorations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 03:37 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,879,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Have been utilizing an indoor antenna for about 4 years and am amazed at the excellent quality of the picture and audio. I receive approximately 36 channels in my area and deleted those I'm not interested in watching, which leaves me about 25.

Not only do I enjoy the major networks, I enjoy the sub stations as well.

And I sure don't miss the high cost of cable tv!!

Same here. We usually re-scan every month. We delete the "kiddie stations," mostly cartoons, leaving us with about 32 stations.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:55 PM

10,031 posts, read 8,699,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I never change mine. Thankfully all our channels come from one basic direction.

But I go in my attic often. It’s where I keep all my decorations.
My attic where my antenna is located is above my garage, so there is a lot of vibration, garage door opening and closing, plus there is some vibration when I turn on the attic fan and it will occasionally move the antenna a little. I have a hole in the ceiling in the garage from where I had a hoist tied to the joist when I pulled engines and sometimes creatures would fly up into the attic. They never stayed long, Too hot up there I guess.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:01 PM

13,095 posts, read 9,647,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Currently we have an indoor antenna. Depending on the weather we can receive 28 stations. Of course several of those stations are of the same network. We have the usual ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, 3 different types of local PBS stations, CW, and some networks that play classic tv shows and movies. What’s amazing is the audio and video quality of prime time broadcast or sporting events are much better than cable or satellite HD of the same program. Only thing missing is a DVR to pause, rewind, and slow motion play back to see if that really was a penalty or score.
I have Dish satellite, and you can buy a device that allows you to run OTA channels through the receiver and record on DVR. I don't know if DirecTV and cable companies have that or not.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
That's where my roof antenna is located.
I get 40 channels. About a dozen unfortunately are home shopping channels. I scan for new ones every night. I always feel like I struck gold when I find a new channel that wasn't there before, can't wait to check it out on the internet to find out what kind of shows they carry. Every year or so I have to climb up in the attic, check to make sure there are no bats or yellow jackets up there, and turn my antenna a degree or two for adjustment.
Scanning every day doesn't hurt anything I suppose, but if new ones keep popping up it probably means the last time you scanned the signal was too weak, and it started working for various reasons, weather being one.

Try this site to see what's available in your area by entering your ZIP Code, what direction from you the transmitters are located, and how far away from you they are (specifically, if you enter your actual street address).

https://antennaweb.org/Address

Old 01-04-2019, 05:24 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,806,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Scanning every day doesn't hurt anything I suppose, but if new ones keep popping up it probably means the last time you scanned the signal was too weak, and it started working for various reasons, weather being one.
Actually, channels do change with almost astonishing frequency these days - far far from the days when changes in stations was measured in decades. Besides new channels coming and going, the secondary channels can change content in a matter of months, and there have been various programs to "compact" the channels used in given areas to a smaller spread, meaning "Channel 6 KKKK" might have gone digital on channel 62 and is now on channel 33, grouped with all the other locals in the 30's.

Once a month is probably sufficient, though.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
OTA is one of only two ways to get true HD on your TV. The other is using a Blu-ray disc. That's one of the little secrets of cable... You're paying to get an inferior version of the channels you can get in superior form for free...
True, but honestly, I can't tell much difference, if any, in the picture quality from satellite to OTA. Don't know about cable. Also, most of the sub-channels are just in standard definition, with the -1 channels (where the major networks generally are) are the HD ones. In large cities, there could be more primary stations that broadcast in HD and are not affilitated with a major network.

With OTA, if you like sports, you don't get ESPN, you don't get cable news and you don't get other cable/satellite channels like Science and History and a couple hundred others. It all depends on how much television you like to watch, and what programming you like. No stations broadcast in 4K yet, and when they do 8K is lurking. Not sure what the endpoint will be. Probably depends on how large screens become.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,567,746 times
Quote:
Currently we have an indoor antenna. Depending on the weather we can receive 28 stations. Of course several of those stations are of the same network. We have the usual ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, 3 different types of local PBS stations, CW, and some networks that play classic tv shows and movies. What’s amazing is the audio and video quality of prime time broadcast or sporting events are much better than cable or satellite HD of the same program. Only thing missing is a DVR to pause, rewind, and slow motion play back to see if that really was a penalty or score.
Do you have a computer with hdmi output(s) using Windows 7? if so you can use an hdhomerun device to enable your antenna channels to have a 2 tuner dvr using Windows Media Center that uses your computers hard drive to store shows. It has all the important features of the incredibly expensive cable and sat dvrs, with no monthly fee. I've been doing this for 3 years now and it works great.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:04 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,260,599 times
Quote:
Only thing missing is a DVR to pause, rewind, and slow motion play back to see if that really was a penalty or score.
TiVo makes a very hi-quality DVR that records antenna. I have one.

And yes, the quality of OTA is much superior to cable. Even DirecTV is better than most cable.

OTA (antenna) mostly uncompressed 1080i, bitrate around 19Mb
DirecTV compressed 1080i, bitrate ~ 14Mb
Comcast compressed 720p ~ 10Mb

Most people aren't aware, but Comcast no longer uses 1080i for most channels, they downgrade to 720p. A noticeable difference.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:19 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,421,869 times
the over the air channel suck in my neighborhood, they are all Spanish, religion or Spanish religion. mine has not change from the ion netwok channel, 24 hours of csi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV