Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 06:45 AM

15,506 posts, read 6,483,979 times

Advertisements

I'm only on season 4 of the arrow so no spoilers but the show (for me) just keeps getting better and better.

Everyone tells me that the show starts dropping off after season 3 but I don't see it. I get its not that popular anymore but its honestly the only television show I have really loved.

I've watched some high quality shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men, and while I liked them they felt like they had this movie quality scale trying to build a narrative rather than a world. Game of Thrones was always a poorer version of the books for me so I stopped watching it.

Now I have in the past hated action shows. Things like 24 hours or something like that I could never get into. Honestly I don't like TV too much, but I still have watched a good number of shows.

Marvel never did it for me (the netflix shows). Sure they were supposedly comic book shows, but they are treated like serious action films with a superhero aesthetic. In a way they're part of Marvel's grand plan to appeal to a wide audience that aren't into comics writ large.

Now I'm not someone with a preference too 'bad' tv (I know some are); Reality shows and bad writing are not something I particularly like.

I also don't like the CW and I'm usually annoyed by their shows. But for some reason Arrow is a show I keep watching.

Yes the dialogue is corny, the plot is convoluted, the twists can be random and not well planned out, the characters can fluctuate between excellent to unreasonable, and production value is a joke. But the campy tone of the show that liberally dances around all types of emotions can feel like a real replication of their comic book origins.

Comic books are not Oscar winning scrips, and even when they are they are not styled like a rigorously directed film or classic book with the right dose of comedy and drama. Its not a high budget marvel's show that's targeted towards mainstream audiences.

In fact even comic fans get annoyed by the teenage styled romances and other social tensions in the show but for some reason I love all of it.

I swear I have never been into a show before that I cared what happened or was excited to go back and watch it. I don't know if I've gone insane; I mean if you gave me a bullet point about what the show was about everything would go against my own tastes. But I really don't see myself losing interest anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV