Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 03:59 PM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times

Advertisements

It was a totally different world, back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 03:59 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Oh no! Don’t say a thing like that , no one would ever divorce Mary
I know, right? How could anyone have been more lovable and adorable than Mary Richards?

I think that the premise of why *she* broke off her engagement was because she felt that her fiancé would never make it to the altar.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:16 PM

1,938 posts, read 703,359 times
After Rhoda got married on her own show, Valerie Harper and I think the show's producers, felt the audience preferred
her single. The oddball suitors, funny dates and the never ending search for something else made for better comedy.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:24 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
If Rhoda hadn't been in the show I prob wouldn't have watched it. She was my fav. I emulated her bandana wearing during those yrs too.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:11 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,752,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
If Rhoda hadn't been in the show I prob wouldn't have watched it. She was my fav. I emulated her bandana wearing during those yrs too.
She had one of those on today in a season 2 episode

Old 07-16-2020, 01:23 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
How could a very pretty woman who lived alone without kids have such a hard time finding a man? The character complains that men never call her after a 1st date which doesn't match the she looks or situation at all. The jokes of her not having a man is not really funny because she was attractive. So I am guessing this is why her wedding was a big time tv event in 1974?
I don't understand why you think being pretty is a magic bullet. Also, the show's writers had to come up with some excuse for her being single, since they wanted Mary to have a single friend, so the "no call backs after first date" line was official story. It's TV, OP.

However, IRL, pretty women go dateless for a long time. We had one guy posting here awhile, who said he spoke to a couple of cute/pretty women at the mall once, and was bewildered to learn, that they hadn't been hit on in a year and a half. He truly believed the cliche about women being surrounded by suitors as soon as they walk out the door of their home, and into the public sphere. But real life isn't like that for most women.

Anyway, Rhoda must have been popular enough, that she eventually got her own show.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand why you think being pretty is a magic bullet. Also, the show's writers had to come up with some excuse for her being single, since they wanted Mary to have a single friend, so the "no call backs after first date" line was official story. It's TV, OP.

However, IRL, pretty women go dateless for a long time. We had one guy posting here awhile, who said he spoke to a couple of cute/pretty women at the mall once, and was bewildered to learn, that they hadn't been hit on in a year and a half. He truly believed the cliche about women being surrounded by suitors as soon as they walk out the door of their home, and into the public sphere. But real life isn't like that for most women.

Anyway, Rhoda must have been popular enough, that she eventually got her own show.
I know I was just thinking of real life and how that would not be possible. Only in the world of TV would a pretty woman have no options lol

Old 07-16-2020, 04:54 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Rhoda was the one character on the show I disliked.
Funny, I watched the show solely because of Rhoda and Ted Baxter. Loved those characters.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:58 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Her appearance, amount of makeup, and dress changed during the show. She was cast as counterweight to Mary who was pretty. She lost a lot of weight.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Her appearance, amount of makeup, and dress changed during the show. She was cast as counterweight to Mary who was pretty. She lost a lot of weight.
Well Im looking forward to season 3 and 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV