Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 09:41 AM

10,818 posts, read 4,372,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Same here! I couldn't even get through one episode of CYE. I found it boorish and boring. It's OK with me that others like it though. My housemate insists that I should like it because I love Seinfeld (because George was patterned after Larry David). To me it has a really different feel. Seinfeld was snarky and strange without being mean. I myself found CYE mean. I know others don't.
Yeah everything about CYE is meaner, including the language and even the tone of voice. Lots of genuine anger in each character.
I've seen every episode of CYE, but I have a long break between each episode, whereas I watch Seinfeld almost everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 09:52 AM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
I was recently watching Seinfeld reruns on Netflix. I think most of it is hilarious, but during one of the standup spots, he makes fun of people who die by suicide or attempt suicide. I thought, "Uh, oh, that would NOT fly if he did that routine in 2022."

Old 06-10-2022, 10:17 AM

3,330 posts, read 1,826,428 times
"Master of Your Domain" contest.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:36 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,925,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was recently watching Seinfeld reruns on Netflix. I think most of it is hilarious, but during one of the standup spots, he makes fun of people who die by suicide or attempt suicide. I thought, "Uh, oh, that would NOT fly if he did that routine in 2022."
I agree, and there are more of his standup routines that wouldn't fly today either. Can't think of an example, but some of it is on the edge of acceptability. I'll pay more close attention the next few times I watch.

Old 06-10-2022, 02:44 PM

10,818 posts, read 4,372,850 times
Quote:
People take death too seriously today, that's the problem.
Death is harmless, and should be joked about. Living is where the problems are

Old 06-10-2022, 03:06 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,310,998 times
Favorite comedy ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ikHdcIjNmM

Old 06-11-2022, 02:39 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,589,213 times
It touched on many stereotypes and even reversed some, everyday situations made hysterical, and the person's thoughts in those situations. Examples are people who speak really close to you. Your friends brings their friend over who you dislike but you endure it ... Newman.
Some episodes I remember are:

- Kramer avoiding the cable tv installation man because they usually make you wait all day, So he did that to the cable guy.

- Jerry's many dates; Petty reasons why people don't date someone like the woman with big man hands breaking bread at the restaurant they went to. One woman looked great in lighting but spooked him out when the lights were dim.

- George and his wacky yelling parents. They were classic. He got married because Jerry proposed to a woman so George did too. Jerry broke it off and now George is stuck into marriage.
George at work; fake gift donation cards give to co-worker for xmas and the episode where the secretary he's making out with ends up with a salary raise. Now she makes more than he did. And the famous soup natzi episode.

- Elaine's boss and co-workers. one co-worker was OCD about germs so Elaine did some vulgar things. Another episode Elaine walked across the street to an apt bldg to get 5-star chinese food delivered in the janitor's closet due to the restaurants delivery border policy. Today, I have this same issue with a pizza place that only delivers just one block away. So, I have to drive 7 miles to pick it up.

~ There's just so many innocent, absurd and geniously funny plots from talented writing.
Was all of this from the crazy input of Seinfeld or just Larry David?

Overall 90s comedy TV and the stand-up comedians were the best ever. Seinfeld, Martin Lawrence, Tim Allen.

Sadly, today we have a few sensitive people where if just 1 out of 100 persons is feeling slightly offended you should not say it. Thankfully some comedians still do. They believe comedy skits and speech should not be restricted if nobody will go and kill or hurt themselves or someone else.

Last edited by frankrj; 06-11-2022 at 03:05 PM..

Old 06-11-2022, 06:58 PM

11,591 posts, read 6,072,690 times
Quote:
Our modern snowflake, safe-space society would have problems with many more episodes of Seinfeld than that.

George getting nervous about having a male maseusse.

The cigar store Indian

George's girlfriend he thinks is bulemic and vomiting her food

Jerry dating a white woman with an Asian last name who keeps acting Asian. Cultural approbation to the max. How about the Asian men Kramer stores sleeping in a chest of drawers and they are OK with that? That stereotype would have somebody raging mad.

The puerto rican show.

Even Kramer parking in a handicap spot may not go over today. Sheesh!

Would the bubble boy even be considered funny or sad today? I don't know. I can't completely read today's snowflakes but everybody seems to be on a hair trigger to be offended these days.

There would be a bunch of Seinfeld shows that would get them cancelled today, or at least a good boycott.

Old 06-11-2022, 07:01 PM

11,591 posts, read 6,072,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
It touched on many stereotypes and even reversed some, everyday situations made hysterical, and the person's thoughts in those situations. Examples are people who speak really close to you. Your friends brings their friend over who you dislike but you endure it ... Newman.

- Kramer avoiding the cable tv installation man because they usually make you wait all day, So he did that to the cable guy.

- Jerry's many dates; Petty reasons why people don't date someone like the woman with big man hands breaking bread at the restaurant they went to. One woman looked great in lighting but spooked him out when the lights were dim.

- George and his wacky yelling parents. They were classic. He got married because Jerry proposed to a woman so George did too. Jerry broke it off and now George is stuck into marriage.
George at work; fake gift donation cards give to co-worker for xmas and the episode where the secretary he's making out with ends up with a salary raise. Now she makes more than he did. And the famous soup natzi episode.

- Elaine's boss and co-workers. one co-worker was OCD about germs so Elaine did some vulgar things. Another episode Elaine walked across the street to an apt bldg to get 5-star chinese food delivered in the janitor's closet due to the restaurants delivery border policy. Today, I have this same issue with a pizza place that only delivers just one block away. So, I have to drive 7 miles to pick it up.

~ There's just so many innocent, absurd and geniously funny plots from talented writing.

Overall 90s comedy TV and the stand-up comedians were the best ever. Seinfeld, Martin Lawrence, Tim Allen.

Sadly, today we have a few sensitive people where if just 1 out of 100 persons is feeling slightly offended you should not say it. Thankfully some comedians still do. They believe comedy skits and speech should not be restricted if nobody will go and kill or hurt themselves or someone else.
You surely could not make "Married with Children" today.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:59 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,580,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post

"They're real, and they're spectacular"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV