Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2022, 09:47 AM

3,301 posts, read 2,381,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I agree, and there are more of his standup routines that wouldn't fly today either. Can't think of an example, but some of it is on the edge of acceptability. I'll pay more close attention the next few times I watch.
Which is ridiculous. Nothing Jerry ever has said is even close to offensive. People today are such a bunch of wimps. I would love to throw these people in a room with Don Rickels or Dice for an hour. They would be in a crying room for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 09:51 AM

3,301 posts, read 2,381,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Our modern snowflake, safe-space society would have problems with many more episodes of Seinfeld than that.

George getting nervous about having a male maseusse.

The cigar store Indian

George's girlfriend he thinks is bulemic and vomiting her food

Jerry dating a white woman with an Asian last name who keeps acting Asian. Cultural approbation to the max. How about the Asian men Kramer stores sleeping in a chest of drawers and they are OK with that? That stereotype would have somebody raging mad.

The puerto rican show.

Even Kramer parking in a handicap spot may not go over today. Sheesh!

Would the bubble boy even be considered funny or sad today? I don't know. I can't completely read today's snowflakes but everybody seems to be on a hair trigger to be offended these days.

There would be a bunch of Seinfeld shows that would get them cancelled today, or at least a good boycott.
Every show you cited are hysterical even today. I have no regard for people who are offended. They don’t have to watch it.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:10 AM

12,980 posts, read 13,724,829 times
I think the show broke the mold. There were plenty shows with the smart women who comes to the rescue of the bumbling husband. There were shows with one crazy or flawed character, they were all flawed in Seinfeld. He also used a bunch of writers most of them I am not familiar with.

When I was college I worked in Student Activities. Once at a NACA conference in 1982 I was talking to comedians who were impressed with him and Jay Leno. He said they were the only two who got airfare included in their fees. Everyone else had a car and a suitcase. To think it was only 5-7 years later that he hit it that big speaks to his comic intellect.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:29 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,260,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
There's just so many innocent, absurd and geniously funny plots from talented writing.
Was all of this from the crazy input of Seinfeld or just Larry David?
While those two created the show, in interviews with them (and others), they credit Larry Charles for much of the original tone of the show. He was instrumental in the first five seasons, and generally considered the #2 person in the writer's room.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:48 AM

88,843 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
"Master of Your Domain" contest.
Watched that one last night. It was brilliant that they wrote the whole show without every really specifying what it was they were talking about, yet everyone knew.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:50 AM

88,843 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
People take death too seriously today, that's the problem.
Death is harmless, and should be joked about. Living is where the problems are
Yeah, and I can agree death in general is part of the human condition and can be laughed about, but if you've ever had a close family member who attempted or died by suicide, you wouldn't think it was harmless or funny. It's making fun of a terrible illness, and that's never cool.

There is simply more of a sensitivity and awareness about mental illness now than there was back then, and that's not a bad thing.

It's happened over time with many shows, though. Jackie Gleason raising his fist to his wife and threatening to send her "to the moon" was funny in the 1950s. Now it wouldn't fly. But that was still a funny show.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:54 AM

3,670 posts, read 1,623,821 times
I no longer need to watch Seinfeld re-runs as scenes come to mind almost daily, randomly.

One of my favorite scenes is when the fire alarm goes off and George runs past the children to get to the door.

Whenever I'm in the cereal isle at the store I remember Jerry saying he mixes different cereals together. This happens every time I'm in the cereal isle. I only saw that episode once. Must be over a decade ago.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:57 AM

5,589 posts, read 3,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conversationalist View Post
It's covered situations everyone came upon or thought about. Many of them apply today.

Although, I think we're due for an updated edition with all the ways the world has changed -- especially technology.
The updated version is Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Old 06-12-2022, 11:06 AM

5,589 posts, read 3,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Never found him or the show remotely funny. Just my opinion.
Curb Your Enthusiasm/Clear History were way better Larry David creations.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:18 PM

10,900 posts, read 4,410,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, and I can agree death in general is part of the human condition and can be laughed about, but if you've ever had a close family member who attempted or died by suicide, you wouldn't think it was harmless or funny. It's making fun of a terrible illness, and that's never cool.

There is simply more of a sensitivity and awareness about mental illness now than there was back then, and that's not a bad thing.

It's happened over time with many shows, though. Jackie Gleason raising his fist to his wife and threatening to send her "to the moon" was funny in the 1950s. Now it wouldn't fly. But that was still a funny show.
On the contrary, I've seen 2 people in my family attempt suicide, and one of them died successfully, the other survived.
Which one is better off? The one who died is better off, while the one who survived continues to suffer.
There is no pain in death, only in life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV