Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 08:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,237,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'm glad Brad didn't bomb like he did on Jeopardy.
He didn't bomb on Jeopardy. He is the all-time money winner, with around $5 million in winnings. I assume you are referring to the GOAT games. He was up against the two best players in the Jeopardy universe, and yeah, he got out-played.

My friend was on The Chase last night. She was the final female contestant. Did well, put $100,000 on the board, but got out-chased in the end. Some tough obscure questions. Penguin Rocks?

It's a really hard game to win. In essence, it's "regular people", going one-on-one against a GOAT. I guess I can understand now why there has only been one winner so far. I'd like to see them come up with a way for the losers to get some of that money. All or none seems draconian. Especially against a GOAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 09:02 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
He didn't bomb on Jeopardy. He is the all-time money winner, with around $5 million in winnings. I assume you are referring to the GOAT games. He was up against the two best players in the Jeopardy universe, and yeah, he got out-played.

My friend was on The Chase last night. She was the final female contestant. Did well, put $100,000 on the board, but got out-chased in the end. Some tough obscure questions. Penguin Rocks?

It's a really hard game to win. In essence, it's "regular people", going one-on-one against a GOAT. I guess I can understand now why there has only been one winner so far. I'd like to see them come up with a way for the losers to get some of that money. All or none seems draconian. Especially against a GOAT.
Yes I was refering to the GOAT games, he did bomb on that. Yea those were some weird questions.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:27 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
I prefer the British version but his is growing on me.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
Quote:
I liked it. I don't usually like prime-time game shows, they usually have 10 minutes of meat and the rest is filling. But The Chase did a good job of keeping it moving, plus it's trivia (which I love).

I have a friend who will be on the Jan 21 episode.
Your comment about prime-time game shows reminds me of the Wheel of Fortune prime time. Couldn't stand it!! UGH

Old 01-23-2021, 09:06 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
James had a great comment, as they were about to play the second of the two game final. When Alex said they were going to reset the scores (from Game 1) to zero, James said something like "Wait, Brad is already at zero".

It is not a bad show, but I think they still spend too much time with the "Is the answer A" questions/pauses and the forced humor lines.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:17 AM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:

You're friends with a music archivist? Wow! She was very smart on that show.

BTW, I knew the answer to the penguin question, but missed a lot of the others.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You're friends with a music archivist? Wow! She was very smart on that show.

BTW, I knew the answer to the penguin question, but missed a lot of the others.
Yes, she did okay. Almost certainly better than I would have with the bright lights shining on me.

Her job is really interesting. She will get hired by some pretty big (famous) names that want to archive their history, or make "museum-ready", so to speak. For example (made up random name), Bruce Springsteen will hire her to go thru all his stuff, and organize it, catalog it, etc etc. She's really good at what she does.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:57 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Yes, she did okay. Almost certainly better than I would have with the bright lights shining on me.

Her job is really interesting. She will get hired by some pretty big (famous) names that want to archive their history, or make "museum-ready", so to speak. For example (made up random name), Bruce Springsteen will hire her to go thru all his stuff, and organize it, catalog it, etc etc. She's really good at what she does.
That would be my dream job. I remembered what she said when asked about what she did for a living because I thought that was so interesting. Like the others on that show, she appears to have a broad knowledge of many topics and I think everyone on that show is a good test-taker. Even if they don't know the answer, they can reason it out by the process of elimination.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That would be my dream job. I remembered what she said when asked about what she did for a living because I thought that was so interesting. Like the others on that show, she appears to have a broad knowledge of many topics and I think everyone on that show is a good test-taker. Even if they don't know the answer, they can reason it out by the process of elimination.
I compete against her in some trivia leagues, especially LearnedLeague, and she is very, very good. She is ranked in the very top level (what LL calls "A rundle"), and easily holds her own. I'm a "B" level player, and fall in the middle of the pack. LearnedLeague has five levels, based on past performance, A/B/C/D/E.

By the way, if anyone here is a devoted trivia player, and would like a referral to LearnedLeague, let me know (it's referral only). Lots of fun, well over 25,000 players. You only play against similarly ranked players. A new season starts in a couple weeks.

https://www.learnedleague.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV